PDA

View Full Version : How come dub bashing is not alowed?

guilmon93950
04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Ok I'm sure this has been asked many times, and I'm sure the answer has been given many times, but I wasn't here for that, so I apologise for bringing it up again, but I really want to know. Why is dub bashing not alowed on this site?

A simple reason will suffice. I'm not saying that it should be brought back, necessarily, I just want to know why it's been made against the rules. So there is no need to flame me.
I'm just a bit boggled because With the will used to be the largest source of dub bashing on the net, and to outlaw dub bashing really changes the definition of this site. I suppose, however, it does have a lot to do with this site being under new management.

At any rate, thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Bakuryu Asuka
04-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Wasn't there something about GOC being best friends with Jeff Nimoy? And since GOC = Bossman of WTW and Nimoy = Bossman of Dubbing, you can think of the rest.

rianmon
04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Ok I'm sure this has been asked many times, and I'm sure the answer has been given many times, but I wasn't here for that, so I apologise for bringing it up again, but I really want to know. Why is dub bashing not alowed on this site?

A simple reason will suffice. I'm not saying that it should be brought back, necessarily, I just want to know why it's been made against the rules. So there is no need to flame me.
I'm just a bit boggled because With the will used to be the largest source of dub bashing on the net, and to outlaw dub bashing really changes the definition of this site. I suppose, however, it does have a lot to do with this site being under new management.

At any rate, thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

I've been here since Nightstallion told me to come to WtW when Megchan announced she was closing her message board. I am also a friend of Joey T., who ran Megchan's board. So pretty much I have been here for some time. Since your post was obviously very anal, I figured some name dropping would help.

There is no reason to bash anything Digimon related. We have had asswipes in the past, and as you have shown we still have them in the present; and I am sure it will happen in the future. If you want to hate, go somewhere else. That is not what we here at WtW do. Digimon is love and acceptance. Why else would I do what I do? Why else would I bring back the names of NS, Grace, or Joey Teel? Why else would GOC and lost do what they do? Why the hell do you want to bash?

Don't go away mad, just go away.

MarcFBR
04-26-2008, 05:10 PM
1- dub bashing is allowed, just not random idiot ranting

2- i don't give a fuck what was allowed before i was in charge, wtw also used to be a giant fucking spampit

jita was gonna close down the site, and didnt, left me in charge, because when i helped him bring it back, part of the goal was to make it the best digimon site possible, he left, and that's still the goal, randomly screaming something sucks over and over and over and over doesnt do anything

if someone wants to bash shit and have a reason, have at it, even complain without one, but as tom leykis says 'you better have something new to say, or else I'll find someone else to talk to'

Sure you can find plenty of problems with the dub, just like anyone can find plenty of problems with the original version

feel free to complain about the dub all you want, it just better not be a repeat and it should entertain people

legitimate problem with the dub? then make your case, mugen would just SCREAM over and over and over and over and over and over

and the only people who think I'm Jeff Nimoy's best friend are you, Mugen, and Bastemon, and I'm sure Nimoy himself would laugh about it

edit- in fact, elsewhere on the net nimoy has told dub haters to come here where they can talk about it and leave him alone. WtW is friendly to all Digimon fans, period, as long as they don't cause trouble and can follow rules.

Paruseruru mafubu
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree with goc and rianmon, I've been sayng similar things for a long time. Every aspect in Digimon has something to offer, dub or original. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this flaming rederic is what ruins the integrity of a community and hurts fans who love Digimon. Some of my best memories are in the dub, the Japanese purist stuff really leaves a narrow view of the franchise as a whole in my opinion.

You don't like it that's fine but if you can't do anything but bash with no real reasoning than it doesn't do well to validate your feelings on it other than being unreasonable.

MarcFBR
04-26-2008, 05:25 PM
I also have a problem when people bash stuff but ignore the source material

Bashing the 3rd part of Digimon the Movie and ignoring how fucking HORRIBLE and boring Digimon Hurricane Touchdown/Supreme Evolution! The Golden Digimentals is is laughable at best

Dubbies call me a subbie, and subbies call me a dubbie

I have ancient vcds of all of the dub, and will buy dub DVDs the day they are out.

I have all of the old japanese 02 singles. I Have the 4 season sets they did over 2006/2007, and all the 01/02 movies on R2 dvds raw. Hell, somewhere I'm sure I still have the old raw movie tapes megchan made me YEARS ago.

I like Digimon, period, so excuse me if I don't feel the need to bitch about it into the ground.

and with my personality, if I was Jeff Nimoy's best friend, I'd feel obligated to ban fuck knows how many people.

If anyone thinks they like Digimon enough to run WtW (a site that drove Greg insane, well...more insane, and drove Jita to just leave) and doesn't like how it is since I took over, make me an offer.

edit- and I'm not yelling at anyone over the question asked about why 'bashing isn't allowed', with the major changes to how the site was 2 years ago, it's a legitimate question, just the seeming questions from day one that I somehow had an obligation to run the site jita would have, which, if you even ask him, he BARELY ran it for quite awile

Paruseruru mafubu
04-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I love Digimon period. I had to buy an external hardrive just to store all of the episodes both dubbed and subbed, music, manga, etc., everything else.

What irritates me is when entire sections of the franchise are completely discredited even if it is compatible with Japan releases simply because the distributor isn't Bandai Japan itself. I can appreciate anime in its original form, some dubs do take away from the story put out by the original but the dub is also what many outside the small circle of die hard fans only have experience with and there isn't anything wrong with that. I'm glad to know both but again some of my best memories where of the dub, sitting around at Christmas time with my best friend watching the old Fox Kids block. The original can't duplicate some experiences or vice versa in other's cases.

That's why I don't understand the trolling that's been ruining several communities for a long time, I for one am glad that this site has people that understand that and work to make Digimon what it is supposed to be which is just pure fun for those who love it.

MarcFBR
04-26-2008, 06:58 PM
at what point is bashing and complaining just trolling?

for mugen's example, he was warned publically, had a vote to see if he should be banned, was banned, was let back in for the new year, was warned more times, and kept going

thats not longer dub bashing, thats either being VERY stupid or trolling

does anyone disagree with him being banned again? cause if so, speak up, if theres a legimate complaint about it, id like to hear it. I'm not beyond making mistakes, if anyone believes a mistake was made, say so

shermpmc
04-26-2008, 07:28 PM
It was a bigger mistake letting him come back, IMO. I don't think anybody expected him to last long based on his past behavior.

Whatever the "point" ends up being, I say we call it the Mugen point.

Master-Element
04-26-2008, 07:56 PM
It was a bigger mistake letting him come back, IMO. I don't think anybody expected him to last long based on his past behavior.

Whatever the "point" ends up being, I say we call it the Mugen point.

Hey I will respect GoC's decsion even if I never got an answer what the final straw was the second time(Which would be good enough for me)
But I will not stand for you to bash my friend
You just made my list (lol)

shermpmc
04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
When did I say that I didn't respect his decision? He even said himself that he's not beyond making mistakes.

Unless you're talking about Mugen as your friend.

Master-Element
04-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Unless you're talking about Mugen as your friend.

Thats what I said

MarcFBR
04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
He's a little prick who didn't listen to the staff.

My only regret is that I let him back.

The staff has better things to do than watch out for the crazy fucking German.

guilmon93950
04-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Oh my god guys! Are you serious?
I just asked a simple question, wanting to know the answer, and gave the specific reason why I asked it. In return I get stuff like this:

"We have had asswipes in the past, and as you have shown we still have them in the present;"

"Don't go away mad, just go away."

And I could quote more, but this is really only as far as I care about that issue.

The point is, you guys are really defensive about his when you really shouldn't be.

I never said anything about Mugen, I never said I hate the dub, I never said anything about me personally hating anything or bashing it. I am not second guessing anyone's decisions and I am NOT saying I could do a better job on this site. I was simply wondering why "dub bashing", as a subject, was made illegal, specifically because I've seen 1 or two threads on this board closed for that reason, and I know that back in the day, people were flamed here by members of the staff for LIKING the dub (I was one of them, the flamed not the flamer). That is all. I am not complaining, I am simply surprised because this site has went through such a dramatic change.

I'm am really freakin pissed off at this point, however, because you guys are spewing out bullshit about digimon being about love an acceptance (not that that in particular is bullshit, but the fact of who is saying it, and what they are saying at the exact same time which contradicts it), and I can't mother effing say a damn word on this site without being flamed by someone. If you guys are all so loving and accepting, then why the hell can't you accept my damn opinions. I'm not asking to be liked, I'm not asking to have people agree with me. I am asking to be able to write a post and not have to know for a fact that the very next post in the thread is going to include someone calling me an idiot, and to go away. I'm not naming any names, you know who you are.

You know what though? I have come to accept and get used to that fact, and I can handle the sea of insults because I have crazy theories that could never happen, or because I dislike certain things that many of you like; but what has really pushed me over the top is the fact that now in the same post that you tell me I'm an anal asswhipe, you say that you are here to celebrate love an acceptance. Am I the only one who sees such blatant contradictory here?

Don't claim to be better than me when you can't even carry on an intelligent discussion without insults. It just proves your own lack of maturity. ("you" here, is aimed specifically at those who have chosen to flame me, and of course, if you have not flamed me at any point, than I am not directing it at you)

Again, I am not telling you, GOC, how to run this site. I think you have done a fabulous job. However, there is one area which I believe needs to be improved upon, and that is, I think you need to have more punishment for flaming other members.

Now that I have had the chance to vent on that specific topic, I will respond to GOC's more civil responces.
My main point in making this thread was to find out if my threads are going to get closed, or if I am going to get banned because I make a complaint about something I did not like in the dub. I am afraid that I might be punished by making a claim in some post about how I hate the name Marcus Damon, or that Crowmon was a bad decision in every way, or the inconcistancy with Lord Knightmon drives me nuts. So, if I can say those things and not get banned, thats fine. Thats all I wanted to know. And fear not, GOC, I wouldn't ever make any claim that I can't support.

*hunkers down for another sea of incoming idiotic and self righteous drivel*

Vande
04-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Fact: I am not an huge lover of the dub but i wouldnt say i hate it, i say once if i don't like something with the dub and then drop it cause i've had may say. It's when people go over it time and time again it gets old and annoying.

That is normally the point in which i draw the line yet people continue to cross over that line that happens after that is on their own heads.

MarcFBR
04-27-2008, 01:12 AM
guilmon, it became argumentative because whenever 'dub bashing' comes up, it almost ALWAYS relates to mugen, and the fact that you posted the thread a day after is close timing on a subject that most of the staff has just spent to much time time (and the fact that the first person to respond was one of mugen's friends whose opinions run 'more of the same' caused most people to respond faster and harder in a way that was less directed at you then the tone that conversations about mugen tend to go)

dub bashing isnt banned, or illegal

you can bash it all you want, but not just screaming off the top of your head

and generally, i wasnt talking about you, i was talking about 'people' in general, specifically the people who tend to randomly dub bash without any specific reason

if you have an argument to make, make it, and thats fine, and if for some reason you get banned, and you think it was unfair (and this goes for ANYONE), you find my email, which is damn easy to find, and you email me with WtW in the subject.

anytime I have gotten a message regarding someone believing they were banned by accident, or unfairly, or even claiming that they were never registered and were 'banned' i go and check with every staff member who could have banned someone, and check everything

and flaming will happen, because arguments happen, and people won't necessarily like eachother, cursing in arguments doesn't detract from their message as long as someone has it, I tend to curse alot in the way I type, because I do, I also tend to be inconsistent with caps, doesnt change the legitimacy of the message, and if you ignore any message for it then it is your loss when you miss out on the message it gives.

By all meants rant, complain, bitch, dub bash, on anything you want, the name marcus damon included, but if it is a recurring rant that is only MARCUS AS A NAME SUCKS, GO MASARU, then that isn't enough

if you can construct an argument, or at least have a point, feel free

and dont go off on anyone else for self righteous drivel, because we all do it, because we are ALL self righteous, and if you think you don't, you should reread the post where you said self righteous drivel in

if it appears dub bashing isn't allowed, it's because of how people (often mugen) tend to do it, which is just screaming about how horrible it is, and covering their ears to any attempts at a real discussion that doesn't agree with them

guilmon93950
04-27-2008, 02:15 PM
guilmon, it became argumentative because whenever 'dub bashing' comes up, it almost ALWAYS relates to mugen, and the fact that you posted the thread a day after is close timing on a subject that most of the staff has just spent to much time time (and the fact that the first person to respond was one of mugen's friends whose opinions run 'more of the same' caused most people to respond faster and harder in a way that was less directed at you then the tone that conversations about mugen tend to go)

dub bashing isnt banned, or illegal

you can bash it all you want, but not just screaming off the top of your head

and generally, i wasnt talking about you, i was talking about 'people' in general, specifically the people who tend to randomly dub bash without any specific reason

if you have an argument to make, make it, and thats fine, and if for some reason you get banned, and you think it was unfair (and this goes for ANYONE), you find my email, which is damn easy to find, and you email me with WtW in the subject.

anytime I have gotten a message regarding someone believing they were banned by accident, or unfairly, or even claiming that they were never registered and were 'banned' i go and check with every staff member who could have banned someone, and check everything

and flaming will happen, because arguments happen, and people won't necessarily like eachother, cursing in arguments doesn't detract from their message as long as someone has it, I tend to curse alot in the way I type, because I do, I also tend to be inconsistent with caps, doesnt change the legitimacy of the message, and if you ignore any message for it then it is your loss when you miss out on the message it gives.

By all meants rant, complain, bitch, dub bash, on anything you want, the name marcus damon included, but if it is a recurring rant that is only MARCUS AS A NAME SUCKS, GO MASARU, then that isn't enough

if you can construct an argument, or at least have a point, feel free

and dont go off on anyone else for self righteous drivel, because we all do it, because we are ALL self righteous, and if you think you don't, you should reread the post where you said self righteous drivel in

if it appears dub bashing isn't allowed, it's because of how people (often mugen) tend to do it, which is just screaming about how horrible it is, and covering their ears to any attempts at a real discussion that doesn't agree with them

Point taken. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me in a civil manner. The thing is, I haven't been around for a lot of wtw history. I've been a memeber since 03, but only logged on like once every 2 months, so I missed a lot of stuff. I went here back in the days of jita and omnitor, I was here when the forum was first made, and I was here for jitas many comings and goings, and the passing of the torch. But I wasn't really a part of it, just a witness. I've seen the main events but thats it, all the details have slipped past me. I have no idea whot he pandas are, for instance. I wasn't really a part of the whole mugen fiasco, except a single post on his behalf in the "should we ban mugen" thread. I didn't even know he came back, or that he was banned again. Sorry to post this at a time when it's still a touchy subject. I was just curious is all.

The point I was making in my second post, however, or rather, what I was eventually going to get around too, is the fact that many people here expect me to know everything thats happened to this site in the past, and what I should and shouldn't bring up. Lost, for instance, has no tolerance or understanding for anything I post. I'm not ranting or complaining about him (please don't take it that way), it's just that he is best case in point. If I bring up something thats a touchy subject and shouldn't be discussed for fear it will upset some people, I'd appreciate it if one of the members here take the time to tell me why it is that way, and to answer my question quickly so it does not escalate. Thank you GOC, for doing so. In the past, however, that was not always the case.

At any rate, and to avoid pissing off anyone else, I'd just like to say that throughout my few and far between posts at wtw over the years, I've never been accepted by the community, and have either been hated on for liking the dub, or now, scorned for suggesting I hate it. The thing is, I've loved digimon ever since 2000 when adventure was still airing in america, and have been there for every major event. Wtw has always been a source of info for me, but any time I've tried to discuss it I've been attacked by someone. (And well, it's the internet, it's to be expected that I'd be flamed at some point, but I'd just like to think that the digimon community might be above that). The point is, Digimon is deffinitely my favorite fictional story ever, and I just want to be a part of the biggest community of digimon in the world. I probably love digimon more than half of the people here (not making any actual claims), and to think that I am told to go away nearly every time I post is pretty upsetting.

At any rate, I just wanted to get that off my chest. Thank you for your time and have a good day.

MarcFBR
04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
well, truthfully, lost just likes to annoy and destroy people, it feeds him, much like food feeds your or i