PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Ranger 2

SeiferA
01-10-2008, 07:39 AM
http://gonintendo.com/?p=33050#comments

My two cents so far?

I'm not excited for this one at all. The first one was bland, repetitive and boring. I only played through that shit so I could get Manaphy in my copy of Diamond. Though the wi-fi logo kinda has my attention, unless the wi-fi aspects end up being DAMN good in the end, I seriously doubt I won't even bother with this game.

Vande
01-10-2008, 08:29 AM
i'll more than likely get it like i did with the rest of the Pokemon games and if i don't like it - trade in.

Websurfer145
01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I'll only be interested if they include a special, rare legendary Pokemon in the game (like Darkrai or Shaymin, though I'd prefer Darkrai, as I doubt Arceus will ever be that common).

Garmmon
01-11-2008, 08:05 AM
The first one wasn't that repetitive and bland IMO, but I say ya it was far too short. I could easily complete it in like 5-6 hours.
I would consider getting this since I kinda liked the 'circling' thing from Ranger.
I think you can choose from one of the 17 Pokemon shown on the second pic as a partner.

Hopefully Wi-fi will have something good. :P Something that makes up for replayability if this game doesn't have it. What sucked soooo much about the last game.

The only thing that seems to make me disappointed at the moment seems to be the protagonist Ranger designs. I much prefer the first game's designs. I hate the girl, so I think I'll choose to become the male just so I won't be the female. >P

@Websurfer145: It seems Darkrai should be in, seeing he's at the top of the first pic. I don't think Shaymin's 'released' yet, so it might not make an appearance.
Maybe he'll be the final boss again like in MD 2. Though MD 2 Darkrai was a coward with lots of pathetically weak minions to protect him.

Websurfer145
01-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Actually, I meant include a rare, legendary Pokemon as in a Pokemon that you can then transfer over to Diamond/Pearl, like with Manaphy in the first Pokemon Ranger. I had a minor interest in the game, but didn't buy the first Ranger game until after they released the code that would let you go thorugh the Manaphy mission to get the Manaphy egg. I'm hoping either Shaymin or Darkrai will be transferrable to D/P, though Shaymin might be the more likely choice, if they include a transferrable Pokemon at all, as they'll probably want to keep Darkrai very exclusive. Although there is that Darkrai silhoulette bouncing around the official Pokemon site right now, so you never know what they'll release next. *prays Deoxys or Celebi will be released nationwide someday*

Toraneko
01-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Ranger is way, way underrated, imo. It was the first Pokemon game to FULLY utilise the DS's stylus and drawing capabilities, unlike Mystery Dungeon and D/P, and the results were pretty good. At least they weren't as gimmicky as some of the other DS games I've seen.

I'm excited about this one. I enjoyed Ranger immensely and my only complaint was that it was too short. I do hope they put in more metagame for this one.

lost in thought
01-12-2008, 05:25 AM
"Ranger is way, way underrated, imo. It was the first Pokemon game to FULLY utilise the DS's stylus and drawing capabilities, unlike Mystery Dungeon and D/P, and the results were pretty good."
In order to be appropriately underrated the actual results would have had to have a significant value to it; especially in the area you point out. See, while it did provide full stylus support, it wasn't effectively implemented and was almost entirely useless on the whole. A good implementation would have been a scheme that would be both efficient to use and would make it useful to use for players.

Good implementation is not made simply by default of full implementation.

Now, to weigh in on the game, I am of the opinion that Nintendo and HAL Laboratory severely dropped the ball here. I have to admit that the overall concept and presentation were sound, but the execution itself was inherently flawed. From the unnecessary and gimmicky control set, which felt like it was introduced just for the purpose of justifying it being on the DS, to the poorly implemented difficulty pyramid, it was really just broken.

I can't bring myself to have any interest in the sequel, unless of course they round out the experience better. I love these quirky off-beat titles, and Ranger should have been a great game, hell I was hoping it would hold up to the standards as we're familiar, but that apparently wasn't to be. And just because it's quirky and off-beat, and different, and all that shit, I am not going to apologize for its faults, nor am I going to spend money on it unless its much improved upon.

Unknown Neo
01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
It's possible they could give you Oak's letter to get Shaymen. Since it's in Brawl as a pokeball and possibly the next release.