PDA

View Full Version : Should Nintendo make a 'Wii Wavebird'?

MarcFBR
01-01-2008, 08:09 PM
With the news that the Wavebird is officially dropped as a product, should Nintendo announce a new version for the Wii?

my opinion is the classic controller for the wii is a waste, it only works properly for snes games.

I'd prefer 'wavebirds' styled after each systems real controller.

alot of the systems could be adapted to the classic controller much better then they do now if they allowed you to choose what buttons controlled which button (for nes especially)

but the n64 NEEDS it's own controller design for the virtual console

Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and other 64 games just DON'T feel right using the classic controller, or even the gamecube controller.

SeiferA
01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
problem is, if they make one too many controllers, how will they be able to see it as a profit if it's too mixed around? Nintendo has well stated before that they wanna try to keep things simple in their market.

I personally don't mind playing N64 games on the classic controller, but it defienatly can't beat the originial style controllers. However, I would like to see the Wavebird return in wii form, if there was such an option to choose.

digiboy123
01-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Wavebird? o.o Dunno what that is, but whatev.

Imo, I have no problem adapting to the Classic Controller. I play MK64 all the time on it. >>

Socar
01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Wavebird? o.o Dunno what that is, but whatev.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WaveBird

lost in thought
01-02-2008, 12:23 AM
@Seifer:
"problem is, if they make one too many controllers, how will they be able to see it as a profit if it's too mixed around? Nintendo has well stated before that they wanna try to keep things simple in their market."
I was going to go into the dynamics, but I'll opt for the condensed version: suffice to say I figure they could pretty much swap the casing on a classic controller and be set. Hell, even keep the same SKU.

Aside from that, we both know that's a crock of shit on the simplicity angle. Assuming they did say that (I can't remember, so I'll take your word for it.) We both know Nintendo has never been a stranger to the multiple product in one line deal, look at Pokemon; at least 2, and at most 3 on the handheld alone, for the same generation, marginal differences.

This doesn't even go into how they handled the last 2 generations: multiple colors of both consoles and controllers. And they've already teased us with multiple colors of the Wii and the wiimote for the future. So their 'simplicity' is all fast talk bullshit, when you get down to it. And they'll keep not being simple, I suppose, until it no longer serves their interests.

As to how they'd make a profit... well, look at it this way. Everyone (as in the 3 companies that matter) sells controllers for about $40, or more, give or take. These controllers are just plastic and a circuit board. I find it unlikely that the assembly costs for these controllers is even half of the MSRP, even with motion sensing stuff. It's really basic economics here, if you can assemble something on the cheap, that sells for a tidy sum on the market, you're automatically going to get a profit if you price it there.

Of course, you could price it less, but still above assembly costs and be the 'cheaper alternative', while also making a profit. Which is something a number of other companies have partaken in, and will most likely continue to. Nintendo's got that line in the bag as it is.

As for the topic about a Wii wavebird, I am not sure the idea is sound, that is to say, unless it isn't compatible with all VC titles. (Which I don't know one way or the other, since I don't own VC content, nor a wavebird, at this time) If it isn't, I could see the value in one. I'd be way more for an N64 controller, though. Cordless or not. I've never really cared either way on that issue.

Unknown Neo
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I did see a Wireless Nunchuck if that helps. But a different Classic? Don't know. I'd like a clip or something to hook the Wii-mote to it though.

Sabrblade
01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Where've you seem a wireles Nunchuk? Could you give us a way to see what it looks like?

MarcFBR
01-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Nearly everyone has seen Nyko's wireless nunchuck.

#rd party controllers are generally junky, and I don't need a SECOND set of batteries inside my nunchuck, I'll take a few feet of cord thank you very much.

Fiascomon
01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
What they really need to do is have the Wiimote take the power from the console instead of batteries, like the PS3 and 360 controllers.

MarcFBR
01-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Those do have batteries.

The PS3 one is built in and not replaceable.

The 360 one requires double a batteries but can be replaced with a rechargeable pack.

Fiascomon
01-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Oh really? Never mind then.

Unknown Neo
01-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I bought a rechargeable thing for my Wii. So batteries don't bother me now. Plus, I only got it now since my nephew ran down the old ones one day.

Websurfer145
01-20-2008, 02:25 PM
The PS3 controller is nice in that it doesn't require batteries, but you just have to keep it plugged into the console occasionally. However, the internal rechargable battery will probably die out eventually, requiring a whole new controller, or keeping the controller constantly plugged into the machine (and the cord is really short and annoying to deal with). No idea about the Xbox 360 controllers.

I would love it if they released a wireless version of the N64 controller, that is still my favorite Nintendo controller ever. Or maybe I just never played enough Gamecube games, one of those two reasons. However, with the Wiimote, Nunchuk and Classic Controller (which is ok, I guess) already out, I doubt Nintendo will release any more controller schemes. Heh, imagine if they had to adapt Brawl to more controller schemes.

Seen the Nyko wireless Nunchuk, but don't really see the point. The combined Wiimote-Nunchuk set-up is already free from the main Wii itself, which is already than enough freedom for me. Oh well, guess some people don't want any wires whatsoever.

I love the Virtual Console, but the Gamecube and Classic Controller are probably more than enough control schemes for that. I don't see Nintendo going to the trouble of producing yet another controller. The Wii Play package with an extra Wiimote is already selling ridiciulously well already. At least I think it is.