PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda: Link's Abilities

Clogon
10-18-2007, 11:41 PM
I think this belongs is Random Stupidities but then it's about a game...

What abilities do you find are the strangest? the most powerful? the funniest? Please state what game they are in.

To me they are:

Strangest:
Being able to fall from a bottomless pit and magically reappear with only 1/2 a heart lost. (All game?)
Being able to reflect a wizard's magical attack with an Insect Net. (A link to the past)

Most Powerful:
Being able to kill all enemies on the screen with medallions. (A link to the past)
Being able to control time. (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Oracle of Ages)

Funniest:
Being able to anger the all powerful Chicken. (A link to the past)
Being able to turn into a rock while shielding as a Scrub. (Majora's Mask)

Vande
10-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Control time to a very small extent in Phantom Hour Glass.
Strange: Link ALWAYS manages to lose all his items and they mysteriously all appear in new dungeons etc :p

lost in thought
10-19-2007, 12:57 AM
@Vande:
"Strange: Link ALWAYS manages to lose all his items and they mysteriously all appear in new dungeons etc"
Well, this isn't usually the case. With the exception of Phantom Hourglass (which I know is a direct sequel, but I also can't comment on it because I haven't played it.) He isn't, technically, losing any of his items.

We need to remember that the continuity of the series suggests that this isn't the same Link in every single game, but an ancestor. So, discounting direct sequels, there's nothing to lose, regardless if the Link in question is a successor or forbearer to the lineage.

Now, the one who seems to be losing all of their shit would be Samus Aran, who doesn't represent a chained lineage of heroes, but constantly loses, destroys, or gets her shit infected.

Clogon
10-19-2007, 12:13 PM
So you guys have no ability that you think is funny?

I mean being able to anger the chicken to the point where it summons an unlimited amount of invincible flying chickens to kill if is quite funny. Or the ability to shop lift is funny too.

Anyways he only lost his items once in Majora's Mask no?

Socar
10-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Having the ability to piss the shop keeper off so much to the point where he blasts you with bolts of energy was amusing. Having your name changed to thief? Not so much.

lost in thought
10-19-2007, 03:30 PM
@Clogon:
Well... I am going to have to go with what Socar said. That was always fun. Although, I respectfully disagree with him about the humor value of having your name changed to thief. Given that it was quite the time, and even save batteries were new tech then in the videogame world, that was, effectively, the early generations Psycho Mantis. (And we all should know well how insane he is.)

As for the chickens, if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

"Anyways he only lost his items once in Majora's Mask no?"
While I never got to beating the game (it pissed me off too damn badly) I believe he only lost them at the very beginning, although I could be wrong. However, with the time resets, he lost various things semi-frequently, that were replaceable. But then Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, in which case the 'lost all of his items' label does apply.

It only applies in small doses in the series.
I believe there's roughly 4 games in the series counted among 'direct sequels' for various reasons. Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, and now Phantom Hourglass, which leaves the remainder of the series as lineal adventures so far, and without a real timeline released by Nintendo, we can't even place, definitively, where each one intersects with one another beyond small differences in time between certain games, when mentioned.

Clogon
10-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Link's Awakening was the sequel of which game? I know he lost all of his things due to a storm and loses them all again when awoken.

I haven't played Phantom Hourglass yet but does he lose his items there too?

Also was there a difference between the GC and the GBA versions of The Four Sowrds?

Vande
10-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Well he doesn't start Phantom Hourglass with anything (not even a sword) i finished PH last night.

The shopkeeper moment is fun, i buy the shovel and steal the bow, then never return :D *fry*

Does it not make you wonder that since the Links all look the same - who's the mum of him :p

lost in thought
10-20-2007, 12:34 AM
@Clogon:
Link's Awakening takes place shortly after the events of Link to the Past, which is apparently indicated by the game's manual. Whether or not that's 100% accurate is debatable, however, given that we do not posses an official chronology, it makes attempting to figure out what's what a very difficult thing.

As for Phantom Hourglass, it stands to reason he wouldn't posses all of the items that were with him by the end of Wind Waker, as it would have then required Nintendo to come up with useless stand-ins for pre-existing items, or some otherwise inane reason why "X" hold-over item that worked originally can't work for a specific task, thereby making it useless until an event is fulfilled. Similar, but not entirely the same, as extending Link's hookshot during Ocarina of Time.

Now, with Four Swords, of course there are differences. We're talking "Four Swords", which begins the storyline of Vaati and the... four swords, which apparently takes place long before the events of Ocarina of Time, which I believe at the time of its release, was said to be the first story, chronologically. (Ocarina that is. Which means Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, and Minish Cap all take place a hell of a ways back.)

Then we're talking about its sequel, "Four Swords Adventures", which deals with Ganondorf, and takes place a time after the original Four Swords game.

@Vande:
They don't *really* look the same. Given that their physical appearance is dictated heavily by the character design art, especially early in the series, it's easy to see that the Link from the first game (in chronological order of release) looks different than the current Link. The only real similarities that exist between them in this way is their hair, and style of dress. Although, it has been diverting from that trend more recently with their normal clothes being far different from the garb of the hero.

As well, "who's the mum"? Given the games take place between each other on the order of a few hundred years for certain installments, there would be multiple mothers. And, as far as I can remember, the closest we ever got to knowing about any of the Link's parentage would be from Ocarina of Time, and the events that lead to him living in the forest there. (Although, my memory could be sleeping, it's been a long time since i've played any of the older ones and I can't seem to remember if Link had parents in Twilight Princess or not.)

Clogon
10-20-2007, 05:59 PM
The only relative, that I know of is his Uncle from A link to the past. In ocarina of time he was an orphan living with a race that never grows up in the forest.

lost in thought
10-20-2007, 06:50 PM
He also has a sister in Wind Waker. But yeah, that Link is an orphan, as his mom died bringing him to the safety of Kokiri Forest, which played a significant part in the story as it started the path of truths he had to know.

Blah blah, yadda yadda, and continue on what is, in so far, the beginnings of what would be a legacy of his lineal descendant's fighting to stop evil.

There is a funny thing about the history, though. If we ignore the great catastrophe in which there was no Link to save the day; the series sums itself up as a series of spectacular failures. Given the story has at its largest scope, dealt mostly with Ganondorf (and by extension the demon Ganon) as the primary villain, and the fact that he still manages to come back, after having been 'dealt with' by each generations of Link, it really doesn't reflect well on the family line, let alone the first Link.

Although, on another consideration (which is popular among some circles) with the exception of a few instances, some folks suggest each Ganondorf is another part of that family line, not unlike the Links. So if this is the case, one might come to the conclusion that as long as a Link exists, so will a Ganondorf; and that they are tied by bonds of fate to fight for all of eternity, and blah blah.

It ain't an ability, but considering either of those two thoughts can be amusing. It also makes me wonder how each Link's life pans out after that, or if they just kinda 'disappear', with their job being done.

Elrade
10-29-2007, 06:48 PM
He also has a sister in Wind Waker. But yeah, that Link is an orphan, as his mom died bringing him to the safety of Kokiri Forest, which played a significant part in the story as it started the path of truths he had to know.

Blah blah, yadda yadda, and continue on what is, in so far, the beginnings of what would be a legacy of his lineal descendant's fighting to stop evil.

There is a funny thing about the history, though. If we ignore the great catastrophe in which there was no Link to save the day; the series sums itself up as a series of spectacular failures. Given the story has at its largest scope, dealt mostly with Ganondorf (and by extension the demon Ganon) as the primary villain, and the fact that he still manages to come back, after having been 'dealt with' by each generations of Link, it really doesn't reflect well on the family line, let alone the first Link.

Although, on another consideration (which is popular among some circles) with the exception of a few instances, some folks suggest each Ganondorf is another part of that family line, not unlike the Links. So if this is the case, one might come to the conclusion that as long as a Link exists, so will a Ganondorf; and that they are tied by bonds of fate to fight for all of eternity, and blah blah.

It ain't an ability, but considering either of those two thoughts can be amusing. It also makes me wonder how each Link's life pans out after that, or if they just kinda 'disappear', with their job being done.
Well, Lost, as we've seen in Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass, there's always another(conveniently placed) threat, such as Majora's Mask, Shdow Link, Nightmare, Vaati, and Bellum. In short, chances are, there will always be evildoers for them to fight. However, I bet that OoT Link settled down with Malon, and one of their descendants was the Hero Chosen By the Gods(TP Link), due to his expertise with horses and other livestock. That's just another crazy theory of mine. Also, how else would he know how to play Epona's song? It was handed down to him, most likely.

However, it's explicitly stated that all Ganons/Ganondorf's are one and the same, with the possible exception of the Four Swords Adventures one. Because they refer to the Ganondorf of Wind Waker as the same one as OoT Ganon, and, chances are, Ganon is an immortal enemy, as revealed by the Triforce of Power keeping him alive after the Sages sealed him away before TP. Chances are, he also survived(somehow) the end of TP. He's like a cockroach; No matter how many times you kill him, he comes back.

DarkTamer Steph
11-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Isn't there only one male per 100 years of Ganondorf's race, which is why they're all women??

Each one is an incarnation of Ganon! OMGz! He posesses the babies!!

Yeah though, back to seriousness... I theorized that Ganon always comes back, because he's a demon who can't be killed, only locked away. Taking a 'human' form (because I can't remember the name of that race for the life of me) always makes him look like the original Ganondorf Dragmire, because it was Ganon's first host.

MarcFBR
11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Or, you could not come up with silly theories.

Especially since damn near every Zelda game makes it DAMN clear it is the same Ganon, no differences, just him returning.

DarkTamer Steph
11-17-2007, 10:54 AM
No, I was saying that it's the same Ganon, just maybe a different human...

I dunno, it's a personal theory anyways.

Shorty
12-04-2007, 09:34 PM
The bottomless pit falling is very easy to explain. Navi saves him. xP

ninjannihilator
12-22-2007, 06:26 AM
The bottomless pit falling is very easy to explain. Navi saves him. xP
Navi isn't in every game

Shorty
12-22-2007, 05:30 PM
She's not? What ones is sh not in? o.O

Master-Element
12-22-2007, 06:20 PM
She is only in OOT, then in MM it's a different Fairy. and the rest of the games Link doesn't Have one,
I don't see why restarting after falling into a pit is an ability, it's just how the games works how else could you do it. Unless you always died when you fell in one.

Shorty
12-23-2007, 04:32 AM
She's in TP. She's the icon for the Wiimote but I don't think Link knows. Still counts though doesn't it? xD

CloneWarrior
12-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Alright, now we're in an almighty timeline discussion...

Anyways, the whole demon cuccos, pigs thing is definitely the funniest thing Link could do....

Strangest, being able to survive talking to the Happy Mask Salesman...

Shorty
12-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Somehow I don't think that Zelda games are related unless it's specifically a second game like Ocarina and Mask. There's a Zelda princess in almost every game and all of them are different Zelda. This was said in the first RPG style game for the NES. That every girl born into the royal family would be named Zelda in memory of the queen/princess.