PDA

View Full Version : Buy a PS3, cure Parkinson's?

Suzaku
09-21-2006, 05:20 AM
PS3... saves lives???

CNN news is reporting that owners of the PS3 will be able to donate their console's down-time to science, by taking part in a large-scale research network which will use the PS3's advanced processor to perform calculations for a Parkinson's research foundation. Doing this would reportedly increase the speed at which they will be able to run simulations anywhere from 5% to 50%, depending on the number of PS3s participating, possibly allowing simulations which would normally take two years to calculate to be done in a matter of months.

This type of network research has been done for ages, allowing networks of small computers to perform tasks which might normally require expensive supercomputers, but because the PS3's processor is essentially a prototype for future supercomputers, it will be far more effective for scientific calculations than normal computers, and thus be more effective than the usual network used like this. This isn't to say it's stronger than a regular computer, just that it's more effective at scientific calculations, and there is research to back that up.

In order to participate, you download a program and leave your machine on while not playing , data will be divided into chunks of between 10 to 20mbs and sent to participating machines, calculated, and then sent it back.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/fun.games/09/18/playstation.folding/index.html

Of course, this is the PS3, there's gotta be a negative side for people to poke at, and supposedly, allowing your PS3 to continue to run like this in down-time could make your console wear out faster. Of course, I don't know if any studies have been done yet, or if that's just an assumption people have been making. I guess you still have the option to actually turn it off either way.

Interesting.

ToiletGecko
09-21-2006, 09:52 AM
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

This is hardly a new idea, and BOINC doesn't cost you $700.
It's still a damn good publicity stunt, though.

Terriermon Fan
09-21-2006, 03:40 PM
...okay then.

Can anyone say This is really sad? I think they are saying this just so Sony can sell PS3s. Either way, I can' afford one so, I guess I can't help cure "Parkinson".

Not that I'm trying to sound heatless, but this is what I believe.

Wolf E. Urameshi
10-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Aww. Sony's cwying 'cause WII will WIIeld them. Aww.

...Okay seriously, you've got to be f***ing kidding me. Who would waste all their money on that?

Suzaku
10-05-2006, 01:01 AM
If you already own a PS3, it doesn't cost you anything. It's not something for spending $700 on, it's something to do after you've already purchased the PS3. Hmm... I wonder if you can get any tax benefits out of it...

And industry and market analysts expect that PS3 will at least come out even with the Wii, if not better. It'll take longer for the PS3 to build momentum, and might take a price drop or two (they've already lowered the Japanese price), but it'll get there. Sony is planning for it to have extremely high longevity, due to the quality it's hardware, and when the only other competition in hardware is the X360, you can see how their plan for it to last twice as long as the average console could very well work out. *shrug*