PDA

View Full Version : The Successor To Digimon...? Duel Pod

SeiferA
06-24-2007, 08:08 AM
http://www.duelpod.com/

It was apparantly just unveiled at the World's Hobby Fair recently. There's many similarities to Digimon with it. Basically, you obtain your monster based on a color you scan from any object. You train and battle with it as well (ala Digimon). However, one of the key differences is the ability to play online with it. Apparantly, the battles are in full 3d when you battle online with the PC.

It's currently slated for a september release. The sheer fact that it's basically just an "online digivice" is really grabbing my curiousity to this, so I may just import it.

Shadow King
06-24-2007, 09:20 AM
That looks utterly amazing. From what I can tell, they're not out yet? If they were, I'd be very tempted to buy one.

In one of the pictures, I most clearly saw an IR port. Maybe there'll be a way for cross-species play?

Airdra
06-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Okay, I want one now. X3 I'm just a little concerned about getting a Japanese PC game to run on my laptop; I've never done anything like that before. Looks a bit on the expensive side; 5200 yen ain't cheap.

Deviate
06-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Some of their monsters and LCDs looks similar to some Digimon. Very nice 'digivice' though.

Paradise_Lost
06-24-2007, 10:55 AM
That's not the first "Digimon successor", and I doubt it will be the last.

MugenSeiRyuu
06-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Ah, another Digimon-esque Franchise by Bandai !

Remember the sheets that were give out a good year ago ? With the Witchtail and other Monsters ? I wonder if there is a connection !

SeiferA
06-24-2007, 01:01 PM
That's not the first "Digimon successor", and I doubt it will be the last.

At least the last one had SOME type of uniqueness to it... sort of. Even then, though, it wasn't all that great.

Suzaku
06-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Talking about the Onmyou Toujinki? I thought that was all pretty original, apart from being part of the standard V-pet genre. Anyway...

"Duel Pod - Prominence Fire Ver." is coming out late September. It has built-in color sensors, and you get monsters by scanning various colors. There are over 150 monsters total. You'll be able to play them over the website via the USB dock (obviously).

They'll also be releasing something tentatively called "D's Tag Part 1". By scanning the color on the reverse of the tag and using the code, you can summon special monsters or magic. There will be 20 different kinds, with 5 being rare.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070623/whf.htm Has some a little bit of stuff from WHF, scroll down to the Bandai section.

Some information from the official site...

Strange World Ri-Taasu

The strange world, "Ri-Taasu". It is a world where "color" is power, and everything is controlled by it. The world is comprised of five "floating continents", centered around a huge "tower" that penetrates heaven, supported by the technology that embodies the strength of "color".

It exists alongside the world we live in and depends upon it, though it is governed by different laws. It cannot be touched, and it is impossible to go there. But we have known that it's there since ancient times. We know this because records of a utopia, or a paradise, have been left behind.

Dream Color (Color):

It is said that the colors that appear to us as being of "the Earth" are in fact "Dream Colors (Color)". Within those the power of magic resides, and in this circulation dwells the world of "Ri-Taasu". The "Colors" influence everything in "Rii-Taasu". For instance, a beast that harbors the power of a "Color" completely becomes a new creature, a "Colored Monster (Prizma)", spewing flame.

Colored Monster (Prizma):

The primeval life forms of "Rii-Taasu", the "Prizma", are given action by the "Colors". They are different from animals of the Earth; some spew flame, others can shoot electricity. When the "Colors" stagnate, the "Prizma" loses color and fossilizes. To return them to their original state, you must discover them with the "DuelPod" and give them "Color".

Color Gladiator (Colordiator):

A "Color Gladiator (Colordiator)" is one who uses "Prizmas" and uses "Colored Monster Skills" to fight other people in duels. It's rumored that those who continue dueling and gaining power, the true "Colordiators", can become "Master Colordiator".

Notes:
- Rii-Taasu is just romaji, there are too many possibilities for romanization. Anything from Re-Tars to Lee-Tarth, and any number of variations.
- The "Dream Color" seems to imply that the colors we see are an illusion of some sort, and within them exists Ri-Taasu.
- The Prizma, are called Masaijuu in Japanese, a combination of "Majuu" (a term meaining spirit or demonic beast, usually translated as "Monster") and "Sai" ("Colored"), and could also be translated as "Spirit Colored Beast". Colored Monster Skill is actually "Masai Jutsu", literally meaning "Spirit Colored Skill", but the "Masai" likely refers back to the Prizma.

SakuyamonX
06-24-2007, 06:27 PM
...Lawl, it sounds like Rainbow Brite meets Digimon >_>;

Honestly, illusionary colors that power up beasts, the colors in our world being connected to some magical world, colordiators (lol)? The premise sounds non-sensical if you ask me. But who knows, maybe it's actually fun to play *shrugs*

WarOmnimon
06-25-2007, 06:07 AM
...yikes, another franchise I'm going to have to import from. So far I've only imported Japanese products as far as Digimon goes (Because the Japanese versions of the Digivices beat out the US versions big time) and have my first Japanese Tamagotchi coming in soon (A Tamagotchi School), but this looks too cool to pass up.

I'm getting this when it comes out. No doubt.

And I'll see you online when I get it. ^_^

Not a Diginoob
06-25-2007, 07:22 AM
The device itself looks like it could be the controller for a 70's video game console.

Airdra
06-25-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm just hoping somewhere like Japan-Toys has it available to buy instead of going through somewhere like ToysNJoys. I can easily see myself with my giant marker set, coloring out little swatches to scan with this thing. ^^;;

The device itself looks like it could be the controller for a 70's video game console.

Honestly, that makes it even more awesome. XD

Sakura
06-27-2007, 12:28 PM
This looks really awesome ^^
I hope that it has an english release (and if not, I'll just have to deal with Japanese then)

If I get one I'll print out a page that has my favorite colors and then scan it to see what I get!

ex-agumon
06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
that looks so lush!deffo gonna import that baby!

SeiferA
06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070628/toyshow.htm

More images and info

Shadow King
06-29-2007, 02:59 PM
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070628/toys05.jpg

THERE!! RIGHT THERE!! There's a Burst! What's it saying?! (Sorry, a little over excited, just think it's cool that there's a *tiny* possibility.)

Airdra
06-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Going by the context and the Treasure Gaust toy next to it, I'd say it's like "Bandai made this other stuff, too."

miblbs
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
check this out

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N8ewR_-8ZYs

nice intro O_O"

Matsuo_Makoto
07-09-2007, 07:05 AM
check this out

nice intro O_O"

and of course the girl monster is defeated first. I don't think thats the intro though, seems more like a promo. I like it though. I love the animation style. It fits the monsters and the human characters well.

omegaknight
07-09-2007, 07:59 AM
It does fit it rather well, plus it would make a rather interesting anime, but the v-pet looks like its goign to be interesting to use. But the question is weather they will only allow users in japan to use the online feature.

Not a Diginoob
07-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Cool, you get to use megatron.

MugenSeiRyuu
07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Which one ?

check this out

nice intro O_O"

and of course the girl monster is defeated first.

Because she is the first one to fight. Her Teammates also get owned. Not sure, but she reminds me of someone. Female, blue , cold. Hmmm, Shiva comes to my mind.

BTW: That Movie is made by Gonzo. And I think those designs would make great Digimon !