PDA

View Full Version : tri. Part 6: Future Dub and Theater Discussion

Vande
09-16-2018, 10:43 PM
This thread is for the discussion of the dub and seeing Digimon Adventure tri. Part 6 Future in theaters.

There will be no spoiler tags needed for when it has aired in cinemas on September 20th.

Please do not post before it has actually aired and please don't post asking people to post.

Youkomon
09-20-2018, 08:39 PM
Okay so it was good for the most part..However, my main problems with it are how they goofed up and misplaced one of the voice clips during Weregarurumon's evolution. "Digivolve to!" just coming up where it did not belong. Them adding unnecessary dialogue during Meicoomon's death. It killed the emotion. Adding grunts, growls, and roars to the evolution scenes where they are not needed. Holydramon calling out her attack before she reached Odinemon. Koromon's voice still kills me to listen to.. The most positive thing for me was how Holydramon's voice sounds more developed and not too similar to Tailmon like in the Japanese version. I liked the video of the voice actor panels at the end.

Muur
09-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Okay so it was good for the most part..However, my main problems with it are how they goofed up and misplaced one of the voice clips during Weregarurumon's evolution. "Digivolve to!" just coming up where it did not belong. Them adding unnecessary dialogue during Meicoomon's death. It killed the emotion. Adding grunts, growls, and roars to the evolution scenes where they are not needed. Holydramon calling out her attack before she reached Odinemon. Koromon's voice still kills me to listen to.. The most positive thing for me was how Holydramon's voice sounds more developed and not too similar to Tailmon like in the Japanese version. I liked the video of the voice actor panels at the end.

Did she refer to the attack as Fire Tornado?

was Ordinemon referred to by name like in the Japanese?

and where was the "digivolve to"? if it was an error, they will prob (or not lol) fix it for the DVD

PCmon
09-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Okay, that was totally Todd Haberkorn as "the Digimon Emperor". I knew it.

Great dub performances, as always. Jeff Nimoy as Gennai stole the show up to the end.

Did anyone count how many times Birdramon said, "I've got you, Togemon"? It was a lot, right? It wasn't just my imagination?

BlankShell
09-20-2018, 11:16 PM
Haha, glad I'm not the only one who noticed that error after WereGarurumon's Digivolution. And yes, Birdramon said "I've got you Togemon"... three times? Maybe four? I genuinely wonder if it was reused dialogue.

Aside from that, loved it. Maybe it was just because when I watched it first there were the episode breaks, but as a movie (and especially in the theater) it just felt way more cohesive this time around. A lot of the dialogue changes made the whole impending doom thing seem less abstract, even if there was always a second of "wait, what?" before somebody explained things more clearly.

Voice actors gave it their all. Joshua Seth, especially, nailed the scene between him and Daigo with way more emotion than what I was expecting. Whoever sounded out of place during the series (JYB, much as I love him, makes a weird TK) wasn't going to change any minds, but everybody at least tried.

Biggest complaint would probably be the 3D animation not really holding up on a large screen. A decent amount of people at my screening (maybe 20? More than I thought would be there!), everybody was respectful, laughed at the funny bits and shut up for the dramatic ones, which is what I like out of an audience.

Kazemon15
09-20-2018, 11:18 PM

Great dub performances, as always. Jeff Nimoy as Gennai stole the show up to the end.

Did anyone count how many times Birdramon said, "I've got you, Togemon"? It was a lot, right? It wasn't just my imagination?

I think it was 3 times. Yeah that part was a little weird lol.

Overall, I think it was better and more understandable than the sub version. Like explaining why returning the memories didn't work in returning Meicoomon back to normal and why they ended up having to kill Ordinemon. Also Kari's reasoning at the end to join the battle was much more sound than the sub version of "I wont forgive you, but gonna help anyway!"

When they mentioned the 02 kids, they showed much more concern and shock than the sub version as well. Also the beginning which was silent and slow as a snail pace in the sub version had extra dialogue on Kari's inner turmoil which helped speed it up and not seem so dragged out. Also Gatomon! They mentioned her AND Meicoomon everytime, not just halfway through the movie like the sub version.

Also confirming that Merciful mode was a combination of all the Digimon's powers.

And yes Ordinemon was mentioned by name.

transformers03
09-20-2018, 11:22 PM
I've been big fan of Digimon tri.'s dub, and this is probably my favorite work from the actors since part 3. I love all the returning actors, and even grew to really enjoy the new guys. Even Vic Mignogna, who sounded the most unlike his character, delivered a really powerful performance.

I love the tri. films in general. While I wont deny their flaws, the emotional and character stuff really work, at least to me they did. I remember going to see the first film in theaters two years ago, and it feels appropriate for me to watch the last one as well.

MarcFBR
09-20-2018, 11:25 PM
The 'digivolve to' for no apparent reason was the only real stand out issue this time.

I'm most surprised that they slid in a line from TK that 'fixes' the issue with DanDan back in the dub of Part 1.

And Gomamon got the best laugh with his last line as they were fading to black at the end.

The audience was the biggest and energetic but not loud, which was nice.

AMC fucked up the video though, which was annoying.

A strong finish for the tri. dub.

Chaotix12345
09-20-2018, 11:34 PM
12 people besides myself and my Sister at my screening. Most since Reunion, which was appropriate.

I noticed the Weregarurumon goof, too! Wonder if they'll fix it for the DVD or keep it as a really weird part, LOL. Also, "Digi Devices" made a comeback and I think HerculesKabuterimon's attack went back to Giga Blaster, but didn't notice any other huge flubs.

I honestly wasn't expecting them to full-on give Gennai's Digimon Emperor form it's own voice (I thought the previous example would stay as a weird one-off thing), but Todd Haberkorn knocked it out of the park with the crazy! Makes a nice contrast against Derek Stephen Prince's cool, reserved take.

So yeah, fun time all around. (Especially since I spotted a Ralph Breaks the Internet poster on the way out and got a photo!) tri.'s overall been a fun ride. Hopefully they don't drag their heels on dubbing the upcoming Adventure movies, as it's been great revisiting this world and seeing these characters grow a bit more.

transformers03
09-20-2018, 11:38 PM

I think it was 3 times. Yeah that part was a little weird lol.

Overall, I think it was better and more understandable than the sub version. Like explaining why returning the memories didn't work in returning Meicoomon back to normal and why they ended up having to kill Ordinemon. Also Kari's reasoning at the end to join the battle was much more sound than the sub version of "I wont forgive you, but gonna help anyway!"

When they mentioned the 02 kids, they showed much more concern and shock than the sub version as well. Also the beginning which was silent and slow as a snail pace in the sub version had extra dialogue on Kari's inner turmoil which helped speed it up and not seem so dragged out. Also Gatomon! They mentioned her AND Meicoomon everytime, not just halfway through the movie like the sub version.

Also confirming that Merciful mode was a combination of all the Digimon's powers.

And yes Ordinemon was mentioned by name.

I'm a very hardcore dub lover. I have no issue with subs, but I almost exclusively watch dubs. I always feel like dubs should try take a little bit more liberty when adapting, especially if it is done to fix plot holes or add more nuance to the story. I understand the need for a dub to be as accurate to the Japanese as possible, but I feel like dubs at times can fix certain things by simply changing a dialogue or two. Or maybe even adding some more dialogue. I know it is sacrilegious to change the adaptation, yet I feel like the Digimon tri. almost proves that there is a need to make some changes. Of course this doesn't fix the other dub mistakes that the movies have had, though I feel my point still stands.

hackmon
09-20-2018, 11:40 PM
The movie was good

Youkomon
09-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Meicoomon dying always gets me every single time I watch it. But the English version just kind of butchered it. The excess silence was what really drove the scene to be super emotional. The extra dialogue just threw it off. But what are your opinions on the dub's added content?

Rai
09-21-2018, 05:10 PM
I enjoyed it, it was fun seeing with a bunch of digimon fans.

Digi-Devices bothered me. At first i thought i misheard but then it was said 2 more times. Whats kills me is.. the 2nd time it was said the word "digivice" was literally on the screen don't understand why they changed it.

Also.. i know voices are different, and some I've gotten used to (Matt, Biyomon, T.K.,) I'm slowly getting used to Kari but it still sounds a bit weird. I'm still not a fan of the new Gatomon voice. But.. Gabumon's voice just sounds very weird and what bugs me most is, its the same voice actor. I wanted to see if anyone else knew if this was because the voice actor cannot recreate that voice anymore because of age, or was it his creative choice? or was it a choice created by directors.

That WereGarurumon voice clip was really weird. It gave everyone in the theater a good laugh.

Also thought Gomamon's last line was hilarious about not having any lines that episode.

PCmon
09-23-2018, 08:18 AM
Gabumon's voice just sounds very weird and what bugs me most is, its the same voice actor. I wanted to see if anyone else knew if this was because the voice actor cannot recreate that voice anymore because of age, or was it his creative choice? or was it a choice created by directors.

There's no telling. Thornton is getting up there in years, so maybe doing that deep voice isn't as easy as it used to be. Then again, I can't imagine it'd be harder to do a deep voice than a growly, throaty voice like Garurumon.

My guess is perhaps the director thought Gabumon's deep voice from the original dub made him sound "old" and they wanted a "younger" take on the character to match up with the young-sounding voices of the other rookie Digimon.

Muur
09-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Gabumon's voice just sounds very weird and what bugs me most is, its the same voice actor. I wanted to see if anyone else knew if this was because the voice actor cannot recreate that voice anymore because of age, or was it his creative choice? or was it a choice created by directors.

There's no telling. Thornton is getting up there in years, so maybe doing that deep voice isn't as easy as it used to be. Then again, I can't imagine it'd be harder to do a deep voice than a growly, throaty voice like Garurumon.

My guess is perhaps the director thought Gabumon's deep voice from the original dub made him sound "old" and they wanted a "younger" take on the character to match up with the young-sounding voices of the other rookie Digimon.

It was probably his choice, since Nimoy said it was his choice on making H-Kabu's voice "heroic"