PDA

View Full Version : Digimon Adventure tri. Stage Play Discussion

Jay Ukyou
08-05-2017, 04:34 AM
On the train home from seeing the stage play.

Quick review: It was awesome.

Longer review: The puppets look janky at first, but it quickly becomes fucking awesome.

I preordered the DVD, it comes out 12/2/2017.

After some of the shows, there are a couple of events throughout the week. Each one is unique. And each one is free if you attend the showing before it.

Tonight was a Live Show with AiM performing some songs. Tomorrow is some kinda talk event with Taichi and Yamato's actors I believe. Tuesday is an open discussion with the main 8 cast. The final day has some sort of farewell performance.

The show is of dubious canon, but they handwave an explanation at the end to make it fit with Tri if you want it to. They also bring up the Dark Ocean. A lot.

The show focuses a LOT more on character interaction and development than Tri itself does. It's a great companion piece for people who feel Tri isn't delving enough into the characters.

Etemon is glorious and is Taichi's new husbando.

DraCat
08-05-2017, 06:37 AM
On the train home from seeing the stage play.

Quick review: It was awesome.

Longer review: The puppets look janky at first, but it quickly becomes fucking awesome.

I preordered the DVD, it comes out 12/12/2017.

After some of the shows, there are a couple of events throughout the week. Each one is unique. And each one is free if you attend the showing before it.

Tonight was a Live Show with AiM performing some songs. Tomorrow is some kinda talk event with Taichi and Yamato's actors I believe. Tuesday is an open discussion with the main 8 cast. The final day has some sort of farewell performance.

The show is of dubious canon, but they handwave an explanation at the end to make it fit with Tri if you want it to. They also bring up the Dark Ocean. A lot.

The show focuses a LOT more on character interaction and development than Tri itself does. It's a great companion piece for people who feel Tri isn't delving enough into the characters.

Etemon is glorious and is Taichi's new husbando.

May I ask how does the puppet masters camouflage them self?

Jay Ukyou
08-05-2017, 06:46 AM
They don't. They are fully visible the entire time. They wear the same grey clothes as in the pictures.

They just kind of silently act out what their puppet is doing while controlling the puppet simultaneously. It's probably the best part of the whole thing how creatively the effect works.

Velocifaptor
08-05-2017, 06:51 AM
I preordered the DVD, it comes out 12/12/2017.
I know this is probably gonna hurt my wallet a lot, but would you mind posting a link to the DVD so that I can place my pre-order? Also, does Japanese Amazon have any Black Friday deals or Gift Cards system I can take advantage of? Also, if you have a Tumblr, and get some time, please post a detailed review of the play. I can't wait to watch it on home video, but I need to know how epic it is.

Jay Ukyou
08-05-2017, 07:19 AM
I don't think the DVD is available online yet. I filled out a handwritten form. On paper. Like a savage.

It was only 2000 yen. (I think that's because the cost is cheaper if you attend the stage play.)
EDIT: NO, this is wrong! It was really crowded when I was paying for it, so I couldn't hear what the seller was saying. Looking at my order form, 2000 yen is the reservation price, and the rest of the 9504 yen price is payed when I pick up the DVD on 12/2/2017.

If there's anyone who was on the fence about seeing the show and can possibly make it to Tokyo before it's over... I HIGHLY recommend going. The visceral feeling of the wailing guitars of Braveheart when the Digimon evolve is the most amazing thing ever.

Also, you'll get to see KingEtemon and the Etemon Five (there's a brief rock musical number).

Interesting bit of trivia: the audience was about 80% female fans. The girls who sat next to me and my friend were literally crying at the end of the show.

Kon
08-05-2017, 07:44 AM

May ask what it is the character development of the Digidestinef in the stage?

Also, I'm surprised the Dark Ocean is mentioned.

Interesting bit of trivia: the audience was about 80% female fans. The girls who sat next to me and my friend were literally crying at the end of the show.
This isn't really strange.

Adventure (and Tri) has a big female audience. Also, the stage of animes seem to be aimed mainly female audiences.

Jay Ukyou
08-05-2017, 08:09 AM
The character development is primarily aimed at how the kids want to grow up. Jou gives a passionate speech about how he's ready to work hard to achieve his dream of being a doctor because his experiences in the Digital World made him want to help both humans and Digimon who get hurt. And this causes all of the kids to start asking each other what they want to be when they grow up.

This turns out to be a really hard question for all of them.

They ask Koushirou if he's going to do something with computers, and he says yes, but he doesn't know what yet, it's a big field, and he's unsure how to transition from hobby to career.

They ask Yamato if he's going to try to make it big with his band, and he says that he doesn't want to turn his hobby into a career, because then it stops being enjoyable. And he's not sure what he wants to do yet.

Takeru chimes in that he really likes the idea of being a writer, but he doesn't think he's good enough to do it professionally.

They ask Mimi what she wants to do, and she gets flustered and says she'd rather just stay a kid forever.

Hikari says that she wants to take care of kids or something, it was really vague and hard to understand what she was getting at.

The group then asks Sora what she wants to do, asking if she's going to get involved in her mother's business... and Sora just outright doesn't answer and just asks Taichi a question about if he wants to be a pro soccer player.

Taichi says that he's still too young to decide that yet.

This little campfire scene sets up each character's arc. Each of the non-Jou cast members has to come to terms with the reasons why they aren't ready to grow up and make a decision about their futures. And each of them comes to a slightly different conclusion. (For two easy examples: Koushirou seems to just need someone to believe in his ability and that motivates him to choose. Whereas Mimi has kind of a completely different revelation that she doesn't need to decide her whole future right now, but instead she can pick something she likes now to try it out and choose whether she sticks with it or not if something else inspires her.)

Pretty much the entire play is conversation-based instead of action-based, so the character development was a lot more heavily fleshed out than in Tri itself.

Deep Saver
08-05-2017, 09:33 AM
This play sounds better than tri. proper from that description Jay! Also facinated that the dark ocean get brought up a lot, it always seemed like a concept fans loved, but would ultimately never get brought up again. Could I ask what evolutions appeared in the show?

Theigno
08-05-2017, 10:37 AM
So we have a very character based and epilogue compliant story with returning villains and Dark Ocean stuff happening. Whew, sounds like a description for the majority of post 02 Digimon fanfics.
I guess this is where they decided to put all the nostalgia fanservice that would have been to big of a distraction from the new and proper story tri wants to tell and it seems to be a good fit.

Looking at the images... they should totally try going international with this. Just hire some more guys in grey to run around the stage and hold up big cardboard signs with subtitles whenever someone says anything.

Also, I hope the "DVD" mentioned earlier is a Bluray... it would be a shame if something as unique as this ends up in the same outdated standard-definition hell that all the commercial Appmon releases seem to have been consigned to.

MarcFBR
08-05-2017, 12:45 PM
I've moved the discussion of the stage play itself to this new thread to make discussion a bit easier and not jumbled in with news.

NekoHaruko
08-05-2017, 01:10 PM
This actually sounds interesting. i thought it would be just some noonsense comedy. Glad there is some good stuff in there.

I am curious how they make this fit with tri. The timeline doesn't quite add up. August 1st should be in the same timeline as Part 3. THeir Digimon were already gone at that point. SO how does this fit?

clanc
08-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Maybe this is like the non-canon movie to tri.?

Shinraisei
08-05-2017, 02:40 PM
I don't think the DVD is available online yet. I filled out a handwritten form. On paper. Like a savage.

It was only 2000 yen. (I think that's because the cost is cheaper if you attend the stage play.)

As of today to update: The 2000 yen you paid was a deposit for pre-ordering at the theatre hall. I dunno how they recoup the rest of the payment (I imagine you paid by credit card or they'll mail you a receipt/invoice) but the last stage play I followed was the Joker Game one which had a similar deposit system going on by Marv--I'm not a pro at how the stageplays work but it's what I've seen this before.

Were there any other conditions listed on the form that you remember?

Thanks for the review!!

Kon
08-05-2017, 02:41 PM
This actually sounds interesting. i thought it would be just some noonsense comedy. Glad there is some good stuff in there.

I am curious how they make this fit with tri. The timeline doesn't quite add up. August 1st should be in the same timeline as Part 3. THeir Digimon were already gone at that point. SO how does this fit?

Summer vacations were starting at the end Part 3. This tend to start about July 20th in Japan. If from the beginning of the Summer vacation until theit trip to Digital world had passed less than a week, the digidestined still could go to the Digital World before August 1st.

So far, they're only two days in the Digital World, but according to synopsis of Part 5, they will return to the Real World.

It will depends how the story of Part 5 will be developed, but this stage still could happen in the middle of Part 5.

Jay Ukyou
08-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Spoilers for the ending of the play to explain the timeline:

Apparently it takes place sometime between movies 1 and 2. The Digimon still have all of their memories. The kids still don't know the source of the distortions, and Taichi has the goggles Koushirou made for him.

The explanation that Koushirou deduces by the end of the play is that some lingering power of Vamdemon's or Etemon's caused a "Bug" in the system and made all of the kids see what they truly desired, trapping them in a Digital Space.

Apparently, what all the kids truly desired was to go to summer camp on August 1st to be with each other and their Digimon and never have to grow up. Except for Jou, who truly wanted to pass his entrance exams (and in the Bug-induced hallucination, he does! Too bad they have to 'wake up' by the end of the play).

So the basic synopsis of the play is that it opens with the kids deciding to go to camp on August 1st as a memorial, even Jou, who can go because he finally passed his exams with flying colors. A bunch of camp shenanigans and character-building moments happen.
Etemon shows up and they attack him, but the Digimon can't evolve for some reason, so he easily beats them. The fight occurs as a spectacular rock-infused swing-dance musical number, where Etemon summons four other Etemon in different Sentai colors to dance and pose with him, calling them the "Etemon 5". The dance/fight ends at the intermission curtain drop, which displays the Tri logo as "DigimonEtemon Adventure Tri".

But Etemon says he's not interested in fighting, he's just lonely and a little crazy from being trapped in the Dark Ocean for "hundreds of years" after Taichi killed him. So he just wants to hang out with them.

Meanwhile, Koushirou, Takeru, and Yamato, who weren't captured, try to go for help. However, they can't leave the campground. It turns out that they are trapped in a Digital dimension of some sort, and seems to be why they can't evolve. The campground itself starts to static and fade away into more abstract zeroes and ones background. The effects are done with projectors and it looks really impressive in person, though I'm not sure how it'll look on the DVD recording.

However, Jou then shows up and is able to easily enter and exit the campground. After some self-reflection, Koushirou deduces that the kids can't leave because, deep down, they don't want to leave. They WANT to stay kids and have adventures in the Digital World. Cute metaphor, not very subtle, but the actors sell it well enough.

This leads to a very necessary self-reflection moment for all of the kids in turn. The Digital Distortion itself seems to be breaking apart and reacting to their epiphanies (as fitting for a hallucination). Etemon gets upset, visibly angry that the kids don't want to stay and hang out with him forever in the digital distortion, and he attacks. Taichi manages to evolve Agumon to MetalGreymon (a four-man giant puppet, which I think it the weakest-looking of the effects in the play). So Etemon evolves to KingEtemon in response.

KingEtemon nearly defeats Taichi, but Yamato and MetalGarurumon show up and stop him. KingEtemon apologizes, saying he didn't want to fight, but he still couldn't forgive Taichi for killing him so long ago, and that his mind was being warped by something too:

Then the stage transitions and we get a giant projection of VenomVamdemon Undead, animated as if he's ripping his way out of a tear in digital space. He threatens them and taunts them for being such weak children, and shows Taichi and Yamato that he has revived/summoned the Dark Masters and Devimon and that they are attacking the other kids. There's a brief view of the other kids' Digimon in their Ultimate(Mega) forms as animated clips from Tri, fighting. I wasn't able to see Tailmon's Ultimate in the screens, but I did see what looked like Meicoomon's Ultimate, interestingly.

Yamato and Taichi refuse to give up and there's an awesome projection version of MetalGreymon evolving to WarGreymon, and then fusing with MetalGarurumon to become Omegamon (somewhat similar to Reunion's Omegamon sequence). However, when the projection dissipates, there's a giant bust of Omegamon on stage, with Taichi and Yamato's actors standing on its shoulders. It doesn't move, but the accompanying light/sound/projection makes for a heart-pounding, but brief, fight scene where they defeat VenonVamdemon Undead.

With his influence gone, the Digital Distortion seems to disappear, and Koushirou goes on a -lengthy- explanation of how a Bug in the system caused them all to hallucinate that the fight with Alphamon and the distortions was over (and that Jou passed his exams), and that now they need to find Meiko and the source of the distortions (and that Jou needs to study harder), leading into Movie 2 Determination.

Soooo... I guess the cynical way of looking at it was that 'it's all just a dream'. But I think it was more like a handwave explanation for 'don't worry so much about where this fits in canon.'

The character moments were really strong, and the actors all gave great performances. The Child-level Digimon puppets were simply adorable, and the light/sound/projection effects were far more impressive than they had any right to be.

clanc
08-05-2017, 09:15 PM
There's a brief view of the other kids' Digimon in their Ultimate(Mega) forms as animated clips from Tri, fighting.
Were there some unseen clips from Movie 5 and 6?

Shadious
08-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Interesting and thanks for the summary.

Read that Venom Vamdemon Undead (As a screen projection only in the play.) has speaking lines with the taunting and all... By chance Ryuzaburo Otomo provided voice for him again?

Jay Ukyou
08-05-2017, 10:12 PM
There's a brief view of the other kids' Digimon in their Ultimate(Mega) forms as animated clips from Tri, fighting.
Were there some unseen clips from Movie 5 and 6?

It was really brief, so I can't recall each of the clips exactly. I remember seeing Rosemon and Vikemon in the distortion space from Movie 2, and Hououmon from Movie 4, and what looked like a clip from the PV of Movie 5 of MeicoomonMega.

Read that Venom Vamdemon Undead (As a screen projection only in the play.) has speaking lines with the taunting and all... By chance Ryuzaburo Otomo provided voice for him again?

There's a heavy filter over the voice, so it's hard to tell, but I think it's him. All of the other Digimon voice-overs are the original Seiyuu, so I would assume so.

TMS
08-05-2017, 11:40 PM
Hmm... I have a few questions. Now, I know you just saw the play once, and have only your memory to rely on, so I understand if you're foggy on some points. First of all, when you say they talked about the Dark Ocean, did they call it that, or use World of Darkness of some other term? Seems weird that they would refer to a Dark Ocean when there is no actual ocean present. Secondly, any idea how much of what happened was "real" (as opposed to bug-induced hallucination)? Was VenomVamdemon Undead just part of a hallucination? It would be odd for them to invent a new Digimon for this that didn't actually exist (though I guess the Godzilla series did that with Gabara).

Jay Ukyou
08-06-2017, 12:09 AM
I -specifically- remember both Hikari and Etemon referring to "Ankoku no Umi" - Dark Ocean. Hikari actually retells nearly the entirety of Dagomon's Call from 02 when Mimi asks her to tell a scary campfire story. Later on, when Etemon makes his big reveal, he talks about being trapped in the Dark Ocean for hundreds of years after being defeated. (I suppose this means that after he died as MetalEtemon, he ended up in the Dark Ocean, which would seem to be still time-desynced.)

Etemon and VenomVamdemon Undead seem to be really there, at least in spirit or some kind of 'echo' of themselves. The Dark Masters and Devimon and possibly the Etemon 5 groupies might just be illusions. It's really vague and Koushirou was using a LOT of complicated Japanese during his explanation. I even asked the Japanese patrons sitting next to me what the deal was and they were like "it wasn't really clear".

However, I think the "Bug" was supposed to be some remnant of Vamdemon's illusion-inducing powers, thus why the kids all saw their deepest unconscious desires. I think Etemon was real because he seemed to express his own deep desires (to not be alone, and to get revenge on Taichi) that don't really line up with either Vamdemon's nor the kids' desires, so I think he/his spirit had to actually be there.

gok
08-06-2017, 02:28 AM
I think there is some little plot hole: if this occur between part 1 and 2, why other kids' Digimons can evolve into Ultimate

MarcFBR
08-06-2017, 02:33 AM
I think there is some little plot hole: if this occur between part 1 and 2, why other kids' Digimons can evolve into Ultimate

99% of it didn't really happen (and it seems like it's insanely unclear at what might be real at all.)

And I wouldn't be shocked at a vague mention that memories of the 'fake' reality might fade or become cloudy (as tends to be a plot element with that type of thing.)

SharpeBB
08-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the recap! I must say, I'm kind of glad that there wasn't too much focus on action, as I was a bit skeptical of the idea of having constant evolutions look good on stage. I wasn't surprised to see that the MetalGreymon aspect was a weak aspect.

But that being said, I am glad that it appears it's really not supposed to fit into the timeline of Tri. I was a little concerned that they were going to try and force in an unnatural arch that was truly part of canon. But to me it sounds more like it's more just tied to Tri because Tri isn't finished yet. Like if they had produced the play after Tri had finished, they could have done virtually the same story, without any real issues.

Unknown Neo
08-06-2017, 11:08 AM
That sounds great. I'm glad it was actually good. It seemed like it would be a hard sell since it was puppets but I'm glad it worked.

sulmandinah
08-07-2017, 04:38 AM
Sounds like a great show! Is there any hints regarding Shipping?

MidoriHime
08-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Looking at the images... they should totally try going international with this. Just hire some more guys in grey to run around the stage and hold up big cardboard signs with subtitles whenever someone says anything.

Also, I hope the "DVD" mentioned earlier is a Bluray... it would be a shame if something as unique as this ends up in the same outdated standard-definition hell that all the commercial Appmon releases seem to have been consigned to.

No blu ray as yet (and honestly, with most shows still not sold out, I wouldn't hold your breath). Re the international thing, in the AiiA theatre (a theatre specifically for anime stage plays) they use special glasses where foreigners (English and Chinese reading) can see subtitles in real time kinda... floating? In space? It's pretty interesting technology. It wouldn't do well internationally when it's already a flop at home tho.

Only Gabu and Agu evolved on screen.

99% of it didn't really happen (and it seems like it's insanely unclear at what might be real at all.)
Well, it did all happen. Just not in the real world. In an alternate space where time doesn't flow the same. Everything in the time altered space is where they aren't in school uniform. It's pretty clear I think.

Sounds like a great show! Is there any hints regarding Shipping?
All girls denied liking someone. But Mimi also said she didn't know about her dreams only to be truthful later, so who knows? ;p

Paper orders are common at all types of stage plays from my experience. Not sure why they don't have some type of qr code link to save paper or something, but I guess it works? Disappointing that its pick up only (usually they have delivery options) So are girls crying ;) (Btw, this is the Australian from the play lol)

Inpu
08-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Regarding Etemon, Vamdemon, and the Dark Ocean -- is it indicated that these bits, at least, are based on "real events"? Or is it entirely the kid's brains making up what-fors?

Basically, is the illusion based enough on truth that we can say that Etemon really did end up in the Dark Ocean after being defeated, which as far as I can tell would definitively place the Dark Ocean as part of the Dark Area? Can we say that Etemon "really" evolves to KingEtemon, and Venom(?)Vamdemon "really" evolved to VenomVamdemon Undead?

For that matter, does anyone have a link to any explanation on why there's a new form of VenomVamdemon, and what makes him different from the original (all I can see is that it's slightly spikier, which may just be the tri. art style, one horn is broken, and it has a miasma)? I probably missed it.

Finally -- this seems to retcon that the kids would have memories of their Digimon's ultimate forms that appear "for real" later, which they don't seem to mention in-show. Could this possibly be a similar situation to hurricane touchdown, where higher evolutions "appeared" but still seemed to be surprises later?

Shadow Shinji
08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
As if Adventure hadn't enough plot holes...

GrungeCat
08-08-2017, 02:32 PM
As if Adventure hadn't enough plot holes...

A plot hole is missing foundational material. This stage play is meant to be fun supplementary material, not a necessary component in understanding Adventure as a whole. I don't really see why this would be a plot hole.

As to the play itself, it would be nice to be able to see some of it at some point. Those puppets are just absolutely adorable.

MidoriHime
08-08-2017, 06:02 PM
I saw the play again (yes, second time!) so I'll clarify. Only Agu Gabu fully evolve on stage. We see the others in their evolved form in clips - that are shown on the side of the stage. These are tri scenes. Angewoman is still Angewoman. However, I'm not sure if these are real, or more meant to make Taichi feel like his friends are fighting for his life (we see Etemon making illusions earlier, so I'm inclined to believe they're illusions to get him fired up) and I don't believe the other kids mention evolving.

Everything else I believe happens. It's just in a distorted bug space, hence why time works differently. It's not an illusion. I don't believe the new Venom form was explained, but I'd chalk it up to Dark Ocean influence.

DBxDigimon_fan
08-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't say the play or anything from it is a plot hole. Besides we've gotten a better idea of the play from people who've seen it and it sounds like the misunderstanding of it all stems from the fact we haven't seen it. It seems to me that the people who've seen it have little or no problem with how the play matches up to the series.

Vojuu
12-10-2017, 12:59 PM
This may be a really silly question but I didn't get to see the play when I was in Japan and want to get the DVD... But are there any English subtitles at all? I saw in the other post it doesn't but if it's conversation based then I doubt I'll really get anything out of it :(

TMS
12-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Yeah, it doesn't have English subtitles.

Vojuu
12-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Yeah, it doesn't have English subtitles.Aww that's disappointing.

TMS
01-03-2018, 11:58 PM
Well, I finally got around to watching the play, and I enjoyed it pretty well. Anime is awkward to try and translate into live action, but they did the best they could with it. Even MetalGreymon looked a little better in action here than he did in the promotional material. Having actors that looked a little like the characters but often didn't sound like them took a little getting used to, but I can only imagine how awkward it would have been to dub the anime VAs over like they did with the Digimon. On the whole it was fun, especially whenever Etemon showed up. There were a few lines that made me laugh, though at the moment the only one I can remember is Etemon's "just one kiss" right before the intermission.

But perhaps the most interesting thing to me was the worldbuilding as distinct from the character development. As usual with Adventure, I wound up with perhaps more questions than answers. It seems to me that the play can't really fit into the film series' continuity. At the end we find them in the Digital World, and apparently they have reason to believe that Meiko is there too. They know Maicoomon is the source of the distortion, and the Digimon still have their memories. Taken altogether, it seems to be an alternate timeline. A couple times it contradicted things from the novelization (which is of course an alternate timeline itself), with Sora saying that she and Taichi didn't meet Koshiro until the day they went to the Digital World, and Etemon not knowing Tailmon, though as crazy as he is he can probably be forgiven for that. Little slips like that are to be expected.

One thing that was strange to me was that VenomVamdemon Undead had Etemon's voice and personality. Etemon did mention that there other memories than his floating around that refused to die, so maybe he had (somehow?) become the dominant personality in a hive-mind of leftover villain data? That's the best I can figure it. I guess the whole thing (except for the last scene) took place in a distortion like the one from Adventure 02's episode 31, that they were caught up in.

MarcFBR
01-04-2018, 12:24 AM
There are a handful of places I think it can fit, especially if you take certain things into account. I generally saw 'one' moment as quite possible (getting shunted into it inbetween the end of part 4 and the runaround at the beginning of part 5.)

As for the stuff with Etemon, it's notable that we don't actually know who the villain of the piece is. Etemon doesn't seem to know quite what is going on, and it's questionable if he 'is' Etemon or not to some degree.

And of course, to bring up that it contradicts things from the novel... isn't really relevant (although you kind of bring that up.)

TMS
01-04-2018, 12:29 AM
There are a handful of places I think it can fit, especially if you take certain things into account. I generally saw 'one' moment as quite possible (getting shunted into it inbetween the end of part 4 and the runaround at the beginning of part 5.)

I don't know, it still doesn't really fit. They never lost track of Meiko in part 5, and in the play the Digimon seem to have all of their memories intact.

MarcFBR
01-04-2018, 12:31 AM
I don't know, it still doesn't really fit. They never lost track of Meiko in part 5, and in the play the Digimon seem to have all of their memories intact.

We didn't see the beginning of that.

We see the 'end' of Part 4, and that Meiko isn't dead, and then it skips to them running. Shoving it inbetween a short timeskip is a nice place to put it.

As for the memories, handwaved as being part of where they are and everyone having a bit of handwaving with their memories going on (they all seem to remember things being peaceful, Jou remembers doing better, etc.), along with them being informed about stuff by the characters in Part 4 (one could even argue that perhaps they simply got their memories back because of being in such a unique space.)

Of course, it isn't really meant to fit anywhere, I'm just suggesting a place where it could potentially fit.

Paruseruru mafubu
01-12-2018, 11:03 AM
I really enjoyed the play. What I particularly enjoyed was seeing the kids in the flesh. I thought the costumes were spot on and the actors portrayed the characters and their personalities very well. The puppeteers deserve recognition, especially that huge Metal Greymon puppet which I thought looked great. The ending moments with Venom Vamdemon Undead having Etemon's voice and personality was defiantly interesting. When the two Ultimate Digimon, including the Metal Garurumon puppet appears, Metal Greymon's Ultimate evolution animation and the actors sitting on the huge Omegamon bust gave me chills. "Garuru Cannon!" "Grey Sword", hearing Etemon's reaction to the fusion as they broke through the wall.

I would have loved to been there live. One standing ovation after another when the entire cast took a bow.

Jmac28211
08-04-2019, 09:01 AM
I finally got around to watching the stage play for Odaiba Memorial Day (Little late, I realize that...), and I really enjoyed it! I've been a part of a production all summer, so seeing the cast talk about their experience all summer resonated with me. Like others echoed, I appreciated that it wasn't too action heavy, but I did love the projected effects for Agumon's Baby Flame. The characters seemed pretty spot on, and I loved Etemon's return! His evolution scene to KingEtemon was hilarious, but he should have been the only villain... The quieter moments were the ones that really stood out for me. For example, I loved the scene early on where it fades to black with Tai and Matt quietly sitting by the fire. Joe's actor also got to be way zanier than I thought he would be! The puppets themselves were amazing, and I'm so impressed with how talented the puppeteers were. They really felt like they were getting into the character of their Digimon! You could see them mouthing lines and reacting in tandem to their puppet. Even during the curtain calls, they made sure that the puppets were also taking bows.

It definitely felt like VenomMyotismon Undead was more of a villainous hive mind, almost akin to Apocalymon. Overall, I would have loved to see more from KingEtemon and Counselor!Etemon.

Stray notes:
I was surprised that the cast gave us names for the other members of the Etemon 5. Forest Green, Ocean Blue, Lovely Pink, Volcano Red.
I appreciated the "Call of Dagomon" reference during the camp scene. This pretty much cements that the Dark Ocean is a part of the Dark Area.
Etemon's personality was perfect for someone who had spent a century pining to return to someone. He was desperate for that feeling that he had romanticized for all that time.
They even remembered that Tai might not know about MetalEtemon.

Paruseruru mafubu
08-04-2019, 12:50 PM
It was well scripted and cast no doubt. I really never cared for stage plays but this one defiantly was an exception for me. I've re-watched it several times.

There was no way Taichi knew about Metal Etemon true. The group had split up, Taichi's group dealing with Pinochimon's mansion and it was Joe and Mimi and their ragtag group along with Leomon that had to deal with him.