PDA

View Full Version : A Digimon by Microsoft?

TT2
01-05-2007, 03:05 AM
We all basicly know, that Digimon as we now know it was designed by two Japanese companies, Toei Animation and Bandai Toys.

But what if it was different? What if Microsoft had originally designed the toy, and had Disney market it? Would it then be better? I was just thinking, that in the modern era almost everybody has got a laptop and an internet connection(including mobile pohone), so the idea of a personal "Digital pet" could actually sell very well even outside of the original "Digimon concept" being somewhat similar of what i had in mind here:

http://withthewill.net/index.php?topic=1412.0

The question is, would companies like Microsoft be interested in doing something similar(that is, if they wouldn't get sued for copyright fraud) Could other companies design competeitive toys working with somewhat the same concept?

MugenSeiRyuu
01-05-2007, 06:35 AM
If it was a Microsoft Product, it would perhaps only be a mere Pokemon-Ripoff and would have died a few years back.

TT2
01-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I personally think that selling "Digital pets" was a GREAT idea, and would work in America or Europe well without the Japanese model of Tamagothis or Pokemon!

When the Tamagothi first came out in Japan, ofcourse it was a great hit! But were only talking about small, buzzly electronic toys here people! Im talkint about "real" virtual pets. Im talking abour programs like the "Digifarm" wich would be downloaded to your computer, and simulate artificial life!

Well, maybe it's just little old nerdy my, but i really think it could be a hit! And if one is wondering what to do with this simulated life, then one option would be to build yourself an artificial Digimon warrior ;D I mean, just compare your averadge PC to a Savers Digivice. The potential is WAAYY different!

Well anyway, this was just theory. I suppose no one has any good reason to built "artificial life" when you can just download and buy games for your XBOX 360, Nintendo WII and Playstation 3. But anyway, i for one think it's a gret hit, and companies like Mircosoft might actually have a batter change of pulling it off. I mean, Bandai is a toy company that mostly makes plastic toys like "Power Rangers" What are there changes of truly harvesting the potential of Digimon ::)?

MugenSeiRyuu
01-05-2007, 09:40 AM
A better ptoential than Microsoft for sure. Microsoft would already have abandoned it.

TT2
01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Well i think that Digimon will make it BIG someday, but the technology or the will to use it just isn't there yeat. People think it's basicly a rip off Pokemon. They dont see the HUGE potential :o!!!

MugenSeiRyuu
01-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Even Advanced Technology can´t change what people will think about Digimon being a Pokemon-Ripoff.

They will still only see the Monster-Franchise that ends with Mon.

TT2
01-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, perhaps with new toys(and the concept of Digimon being combined with the internet)there will also be a bit more updated marketing. You never know ;D

MugenSeiRyuu
01-05-2007, 10:24 AM
The current V-Üets seem to work well currently. Remmber, it´s Japan that counts.

Unknown Neo
01-05-2007, 09:40 PM
And Microsoft doesn't do too well in japan in some areas right?

TT2
01-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Remmber, it´s Japan that counts.

I dont 100% agree with that statement!

Digimon is about digital, artificial life living inside the network(it's 2007 people! Were talking about the INTERNET!)It's an idea, that would have BIG markets outside Japan! Personally, i think everything they've done so far has been very good, but now it's just a matter of wheter they will make Digimon global(make an internet connected toy, and add new international digidestined)or simply kill it! Im SURE, that another company somewhere else would start working on the idea, if Bandai(do to Japans declining birthrates and economy)would simply give up on it. Ok, we might never have Digimon Anime ever again, but the idea of Digimon, the very core essence of it would NEVER die, but simply keep on getting stronger as the technology evolves 8)

MugenSeiRyuu
01-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I don´t agree with that. Another Company would probably kill of Digimon if they think that it doesn´t bring enough Money.

TT2
01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
And then what does? Another "shoot them up 3000" or Halo 13? Give my a break ::)

MugenSeiRyuu
01-07-2007, 03:31 AM
No, but Digimon is around since 1997. I don´t think that this would be the case with the mere Pokemon-Ripoff Microsoft would have created.

Unknown Neo
01-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah. I heard viva pinata didn't do too well with kids.

Kuronaruku
01-07-2007, 02:11 PM
TT2, your ideas make sense, but Microsoft isn't the way to go. What Bandai would need to do is hire a third party company to develop the tech to do it. It may be 2007, but they would need to perfect the software/hardware before. Miuchiz does pretty much what you are talikng about, game wise, but it isn't all that great. If we had something like the battle terminal in Next, and not just a japanese exclusive, then it could work. Plus, you are banking on the fact that AI is perfected, but the last time I checked, the only advance in AI tech amounts to a badass npc in an mmo/rpg. There isn't a fully independant AI program out there. We are far from reaching that goal. Many people are working on that, but they are trying to base it off of human brain waves, and trying to regester the impulses, annd converting them to algorythms, is a lot of work. In addition, as an international community, if we compiled all information about the brain, every last bit of it, we, as the human race, still know diddly squat. Sorry to burst your bubble, but, yeah.

TT2
01-08-2007, 10:42 AM
TT2, your ideas make sense, but Microsoft isn't the way to go. What Bandai would need to do is hire a third party company to develop the tech to do it. It may be 2007, but they would need to perfect the software/hardware before. Miuchiz does pretty much what you are talikng about, game wise, but it isn't all that great. If we had something like the battle terminal in Next, and not just a japanese exclusive, then it could work. Plus, you are banking on the fact that AI is perfected, but the last time I checked, the only advance in AI tech amounts to a badass npc in an mmo/rpg. There isn't a fully independant AI program out there. We are far from reaching that goal. Many people are working on that, but they are trying to base it off of human brain waves, and trying to regester the impulses, annd converting them to algorythms, is a lot of work. In addition, as an international community, if we compiled all information about the brain, every last bit of it, we, as the human race, still know diddly squat. Sorry to burst your bubble, but, yeah.

You can read more about the idea here. Basicly it's simple, somewhat cheap, and i REALLY think that it could work! Basicly it's cheap, effective and possible, but you would just have to make an Anime that would rightfully commercialize it even outside Japan(where the really BIG markets are!)

http://withthewill.net/index.php?topic=1412.0