PDA

View Full Version : Digimon Adventure tri. Part 1: Reunion Dub and Theater Discussion

Vande
09-10-2016, 12:07 AM
This thread is for the discussion of Digimon Adventure tri Part 1: Reunion's dub.

There will be no spoiler tags needed for when it has aired in cinemas. I'm actually relying on you guys to tell me how it was lol. Since UK and all that.

Please do not post before it has actually aired and please don't post asking people to post.

Rexanimon
09-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Drove out to a theater in Harrisburg (about 45 minutes from my house). It's a half hour before the movie and we are the only two here as of yet lol hopefully we're just way early. I was surprised that the staff at the ticket and concession stands were both talking about wishing they could see it. I'll update after with my thoughts :D

MarcFBR
09-15-2016, 03:38 PM
It's OK to post early theater/crowd impressions like Rexanimon did.

But please refrain from asking people to post about the dub, etc. The screenings on the east coast haven't even begun yet. People will no doubt post about the dub as soon as they are out of the theater.

kkanbara
09-15-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm sitting in the seat right now in London Ontario!! They gave out tiny double sided cards with the same art we've already seen , I'll post pictures when I can. I took 12. Oops

lintern
09-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately for me I will have to wait till December for the DVD/Bluray release. :/ Enjoy the movie anyways.

Jmac28211
09-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Well it's 10 minutes until it starts, and my theater is pretty full. Wish we got cards like that, this theater doesn't even have a poster.

kkanbara
09-15-2016, 04:45 PM
For what its worth, the theatre broke the movie hahahaha. The disc or whatever started skipping right in the middle of the kuwagamon fight at haneda airport. What a great start!!!!

Jmac28211
09-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Nothing like that happened at mine. Gotta say, the dub was so much better than I thought it would be. Gotta say, not quite sure why they took out Butter-Fly, but they kept other music. And that part 3 trailer at the end came as a shock.

My my only complaint is how they mispronounced Gennai's name, since he always had a soft G in the dub.

Kureisan28
09-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Nothing like that happened at mine. Gotta say, the dub was so much better than I thought it would be. Gotta say, not quite sure why they took out Butter-Fly, but they kept other music. And that part 3 trailer at the end came as a shock.

My my only complaint is how they mispronounced Gennai's name, since he always had a soft G in the dub.

Maybe to get the portion of the Digimon fans that grew up with the Saban Digimon theme pumped up. Then leave the rest of the Japanese music intact for the rest who wanted to see a close-to-proper dub. Guess to try and satisfy some groups that are into the American or Japanese versions of the old Adventure series.

kkanbara
09-15-2016, 05:45 PM
They didn't preview koku at my theatre!!!!! Damn!!!! How was the preview??! I waited & waited for it but to no avail

Jmac28211
09-15-2016, 05:47 PM
It was fantastic. The 02 kids are subtly referenced and TK and Kari go to Ken's apartment to try and find him. "Trailer" is the wrong word, it was the first few minutes like we usually get.

NekoHaruko
09-15-2016, 05:56 PM
It was 10 minutes of footage at the start. Subbed as well.

Yes I thought it was a very good movie. As expected, everything was just as it was subbed. Voice actors were really good. I like that they added old dub lines here and there for anybody that would be nostalgic. But glad they didn't overdo it. Prodigious. Haha.

kkanbara
09-15-2016, 06:10 PM
I'm so upset my theatre didn't show it holy shit that sounds incredible.

The hard g threw me off as well -- I also think that it was awesome thay they kept the timing of their old soundtracks asides from the vocals. All the effects & backtracks are the same save for the opening.

Who else caught the "ta much" thing Meiko says at the end? I wonder why they called it 'Meicoomon speak'. I wasn't a fan of that part haha

TMS
09-15-2016, 06:36 PM
So it sounds like on the whole it wasn't too bad. No changes to the plot, I take it?

Who else caught the "ta much" thing Meiko says at the end? I wonder why they called it 'Meicoomon speak'. I wasn't a fan of that part haha

"Eh, talking animals, rural Japanese people, what's the difference." - the English scriptwriters, I like to imagine

Zeether
09-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Loved the dub. My theater had a lively audience who clapped, cheered, and laughed at the right moments. And Izzy saying "prodigious" got several "YEAH"s from the audience (including myself).

Also at the end when Matt walked away disgusted someone yelled "Crest of Friendship, everyone!" and that got some laughs.

I do hope the DVD/BD offers the option of Butterfly as the opening. Not that I hate the dub theme (it grew on me) but having the original music entirely would be nice.

KoushiroIZZYIzumi
09-15-2016, 06:50 PM
And Izzy saying "prodigious" got several "YEAH"s from the audience (including myself).

That is awesome.

I do hope the DVD/BD offers the option of Butterfly as the opening. Not that I hate the dub theme (it grew on me) but having the original music entirely would be nice.

A feature like that is something I've wondered whether it could be realized. It would be a nice feature to change not only the audio track but the music as well.

Zeether
09-15-2016, 06:51 PM
It's not impossible. For dubbing they do have to isolate the voice track from the music and SFX track.

If it can't be done I'd be fine with flipping the audio for a bit.

Tetra Seleno
09-15-2016, 06:52 PM
I went into the showing with minimal expectations, and... honestly, I enjoyed 90% of the film's dub. I thought JYB was fantastic as TK. Joshua Seth, Mona Marshall, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, and Philece Sampler were all great in their respective roles too.

The dialogue was very similar to the original script. Yes, there were changes to the script -- TK's "I'll always love you the most" line was changed to "Nothing will ever come between us, brother" sticks out to me for some reason -- and they added internal monologuing to Tai and TK during some really quiet scenes. I think. It's been a while since I've seen Reunion. Does Taichi have an internal monologue during the Kuwagamon attack, before Agumon shows up? And does TK monologue when he's about to write the blog post about the Kuwagamon sighting?

They also added dialogue, during the warp evolution scene in the climax, where each new form announces itself as it delivers an attack, culminating in an "Omnimon!"... which felt redundant since Sora announces who it is in the next line. But Izzy delivering a well-timed "Prodigious!" definitely balanced it out.

All in all though I felt like the spirit of the original version remained intact.

Gotta be the first person to say it though.

I WAS SO UPSET THAT THEY CUT OUT KOUSHIRO'S TECHNO BABBLE WHILE EVERYONE ELSE TALKS OVER HIM during the bridge scene. It made the joke about Joe's girlfriend just a smidge less funny.

Togemon
09-15-2016, 07:01 PM
JYB was definitely amazing as TK. I think he was my favorite of the new voices.

The dub was awesome!! It was pretty damn faithful, I think. The only things I didn't like was replacing Butterfly with that awful song, and the pronunciation of Gennai. Still iffy on Joe & Matt's new voice actors, but they definitely weren't bad!

I also had the biggest grin on my face after Izzy said prodigious. I thought we weren't going to get one from him.

Oh and some people in the theater were definitely confused over the preview of Part 3 and were like "WTF happened to part 2" lmao.

It was suuuch a fun experience to watch it in the theater with other fans. I really hope Part 2 is shown in theaters too, and I can't wait to buy this!! I hope there's info about that here in the states soon.

TPappas1991
09-15-2016, 07:27 PM
I went with a friend to my local theater to see it. I thought the dub was great for the most part. It was nice hearing the old voices again for certain. Robbie was great as Jou as was JYB & Tara Sands as Takeru & Hikari. I also loved that Gennai's name was finally pronounced correctly in this dub and that 95% of the Japanese music was kept (a first in a Digimon dub). However you can't have the good without some bad right? My nitpicks are the replacement of Butterfly with that hideous song & Vic being just as awful as I feared as Yamato.

As for the theater experience itself, it wasn't crazy crowded, but there were claps when the Digimon with their returning voices spoke their first lines, when Koushiro said "prodigious", the Jou has a girlfriend scene and I said YES!!! when Brave Heart & I Wish came on.

Afterwards I got to talk to our own Sabrblade and we talked about what we liked and didn't like about the dub and we talked about our various fandoms. All in all it was a great night and I can't wait to do this again with Part 2 when it releases.

CoDL
09-15-2016, 07:38 PM
LOVED the movie. The theater was kinda small but it was mostly filled. Maybe like 30 people there.

Every single time I heard a new familiar voice my face just lit up. So much nostalgia hearing most of the original cast again. I thought the new VAs did wonderful although every now and then I heard Mokuba instead of Kari.

At my theater we got the preview of part 3 but the subtitles were only halfway on the screen. I was able to understand most of it though. I only missed a couple words.

Devkyu
09-15-2016, 07:46 PM
So it sounds like on the whole it wasn't too bad. No changes to the plot, I take it?

"Eh, talking animals, rural Japanese people, what's the difference." - the English scriptwriters, I like to imagine

Yeah, that kinda pissed me off a bit. Like, you couldn't pass it off as "Oh, it means Thank You where I moved from".

I actually enjoyed the rest of the movie. The voice acting was pretty good. However... the dub opening thing is the most god awful fucking thing I've heard. It's just... really badly composed. It sounds super lazy and hacked together.

Zekkaina Solo
09-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Edit:

i don't think there's wifi at the theater, so im posting now ... Hope that's okay!

I'm looking forward to this! There's only one theater in a twenty mile radius playing Tri, so some friends I know through cosplay organized a FB event --we've got ten people saying they'll come and several interested. I'm thinking we might have five or so people cosplaying (I'll be going as Kari while frantically sewing the head and eyes of my Gatomon plushie), so I'm excited to finally be cosplaying with other Digimon fans. I'm very curious to see how many other people turn up for this ...

If anyone went to the Chinese Theater, curious minds would love to know what was in the LootAnime swag bags! :-)

Random: I got a message in IG about six hours ago from Eleven Arts saying I won a ticket through their cosplay contest and I replied two hours ago when I saw it but I kind of doubt I'm going to be getting that pass in time. I don't know who dropped the ball in notifying people ... But less than 24 hours notice is not cool. Good thing I already have a ticket! ;-)

Rexanimon
09-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Well that was awesome and well-worth the trip to the Harrisburg theater! I counted like 17 people overall, which is meh but I was happy more people from my area showed up to see it. I was excited the whole time, they did a great job on it overall. Now that I'm home, here are my thoughts:

Hard "G" Gennai will give me nightmares. I can forgive Joshua Seth for not noticing it was wrong, he's been away from the franchise for a while now. The director or someone should've noticed though. Oh well, I'd rather that than "Kabutierimon" or "Piyomon" or "Tailmon" (yes, that's Biyomon and Gatomon's Japanese names, but it would've been wrong to place them into the dub). I think that wa sthe only "oopsies", so kudos to them.

The new theme has grown on me. Surprisingly. Still not the best it could be but I'm used to it now. Thought the background music was strange in some places, like when they were under the bridge for example. Then other times it was great, like their use of Brave Heart for the digivolve sequences and even during the fight with Alphamon. I'm surprised I didn't miss the "Digimon. Di-Di Digimon... " from the digivolve sequences of the old days, but I've always thought Brave Heart was a fitting song for the scenes and was excited they made the decision to use it in the dub.

I respect every one of the voice actors, both old and new, for their performances. Overall they did a fantastic job. I was impressed with how most of the original cast didn't miss a beat. At first, Kari sounded very close to Lara Jill Miller, I was surprised. As the film progressed though I noticed the difference more and more, but it dish my bother me. I still felt like the performance captured Kari's character well.

I thought a lot of the new VA's did a great job of capturing the characters' "essences" (as I keep referring to it as). I love Colleen, but was surprised that Sora's voice seemed a little off at first, too high pitched. I feel like she settled into character as the film progressed though.

I wasn't excited about Meiko's voice at first at all, it seemed too shrill, didn't sound like what I'd imagine she'd sound like. Can't be too judgy of that though since she's a brand new character. I liked Nishijima and Himekawa's voices, both seemed fitting to their characters.

I felt like Joe's voice didn't necessarily capture his original frantic-sounding character, but it didn't bother me too much. However, Biyomon's squeaky voice bothered me a lot and I didn't like Gatomon's, she sounded less cocky/snarky and more cutsie, which in my opinion doesn't fit her character. Palmon was a little strange too, even though it was the same voice actress. Half the time she sounded different and half the time she sounded just like before, but it's been so long since her VA has played the character that I don't hold her too accountable. Also I love that Togemon is the only one to say her attack name (which I know is more of a dub thing butbit would've been nice to have heard them call them out at least once in a while). I missed WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon's voices, even though all they did was say their names lol. Omnimon's voice wasn't the same either but I didn't mind for whatever reason.

Even though I've seen the sub, being able to understand what they're saying rrally helped me to understand and relate to the characters better, and from what I could tell there weren't major differences between the two (Matt even said "pissing me off" which I giggled at lol). Like I said, overall I was extremely pleased with the dub and was THRILLED that they showed so long of a clip of Confession. Can't wait for Determination dub news, I'll be looking forward to seeing it! :)

Jenglory
09-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Really enjoyed it, and so glad I got to see it in the theater.

The audience cheered when we first heard Agumon's voice. It was great to hear the returning cast members.

Hearing the opening notes of Brave Heart when evolution started shocked me - and hearing it in an American theater was an amazing surreal experience! I was not expecting the original music after hearing the opening theme.

Well done with nostalgia galore.

Sadly, the seats were only a third full, but it was fun nonetheless.

SB-129
09-15-2016, 08:34 PM
I saw it about a few hours ago by driving thirty or forty minutes out of the way to a theater that was showing it. Having already seen the original Japanese version therefore knowing exactly what would happen, this dub for the most part met my expectations. I wasn't crazy about Matt or Joe's voices in particular since they sounded too drastic from where we left them off from the dubbed series. The others were pretty much fine but Maki was a bit sinister sounding in my opinion. Speaking of Maki, I only saw her computer screen for a few seconds but it appeared some of the names of the DigiDestined were spelled out in their Japanese origins.

I may be wrong. The scene happened way too fast. Also a male adult in the theater, during the moment when Tai looked at Matt then nodded for Agumon to attack Alphamon, yelled "Kiss him!" which drew several laughs. Surprisingly there were about twenty other theater goers with me for this adventure, far more than I expected would come out on a school night for this one night only event. I refer to Digimon through the English names and characters both generally and through my writing so it was enjoyable to see the old crew speaking my native language. I don't mind reading subtitles mind you, I prefer the originals for their maturity anyway. It was worth it for me to go out and see this special feature.

jpwong
09-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Went and the theatre ended up pretty full (ie, people were sitting in rows 1-3 that are below the entrance level). I admit I didn't like the OP song very much, I would have liked them to have either left it or used the original English theme, but whatever.

Worst part was right during the airport battle, the stream froze for about 10 seconds right as Biyomon's evolution sequence was about to begin and then suddenly jumped forward to right as Angemon and Gatomon take down the second Kuwagamon. I just looked at the Crunchyroll sub when I got home and we ended up missing 5 mins which is basically the entire fight and virtually all the evolution sequences aside from Gabumon's.

Don't know if anyone else got these, but my theatre was giving away things by the entrance to the movie

http://i.imgur.com/SHp93HZl.png (http://imgur.com/SHp93HZ)
http://i.imgur.com/Y845OmRl.png (http://imgur.com/Y845OmR)

MagnaAngemonn
09-15-2016, 09:00 PM
They showed the first 5 minutes of Confession! I died.

The best part is when Matt was being his usual self somebody screamed "how does he have the crest of friendship!?"

jpwong
09-15-2016, 09:22 PM
They showed the first 5 minutes of Confession! I died.

Was the theatre in the middle of emptying out because the credits had rolled? That's what happened here and people were standing in the aisles and coming back in when they realized something was playing AFTER the credits ended.

Lot of good laughs during the movie, and there was a cheer when Agumon showed up and when his digivolution started.

MagnaAngemonn
09-15-2016, 09:24 PM
Can we discuss the preview for Confession in here cause it came with the movie or is that for the confession thread?

Zeether
09-15-2016, 09:38 PM
It seems like the swag was only at Canada theaters, sadly. I didn't get any at mine (Regal in FL)

Devkyu
09-15-2016, 09:43 PM
I may be wrong. The scene happened way too fast. Also a male adult in the theater, during the moment when Tai looked at Matt then nodded for Agumon to attack Alphamon, yelled "Kiss him!" which drew several laughs.

Did you happen to be in a theater in Houston, perhaps?

Rika24
09-15-2016, 09:44 PM
didn't get to see it, but i'm curious, how did they pad it? it was supposed to be an hour and a half total right?

MarcFBR
09-15-2016, 09:47 PM
I'll be posting more after I eat and relax a bit (I'm not used to 'going' to the movie theater.... my normal theater is literally across the street.)

In general I was quiet pleased.

Wasn't pleased sitting looking at a Chevrolet screen for 20 minutes before they turned on the damn movie.

Because of that they skipped the pre-show and jumped right to the movie, which was fine. And we did get the post show and preview.

I got a message in IG about six hours ago from Eleven Arts saying I won a ticket through their cosplay contest and I replied two hours ago when I saw it but I kind of doubt I'm going to be getting that pass in time. I don't know who dropped the ball in notifying people ... But less than 24 hours notice is not cool. Good thing I already have a ticket! ;-)

This is why for the contests here I did everything I could myself, minus actually getting you guys the tickets (I like that you won 2 contests at 2 different places though.)

I'll post more thoughts in a little bit.

SB-129
09-15-2016, 10:08 PM
I may be wrong. The scene happened way too fast. Also a male adult in the theater, during the moment when Tai looked at Matt then nodded for Agumon to attack Alphamon, yelled "Kiss him!" which drew several laughs.

Did you happen to be in a theater in Houston, perhaps?

I was actually at an AMC Theater near the Lake Grove Smithhaven Mall on Long Island, New York.

SB-129
09-15-2016, 10:10 PM
didn't get to see it, but i'm curious, how did they pad it? it was supposed to be an hour and a half total right?

Well the beginning for me at least started with a Loot Crate ad, the film itself, the end credits, a live action scene with two reps from Crunchyroll, then the extended peek at the upcoming part three. It ended on a display screen thanking us for watching.

KoushiroIZZYIzumi
09-15-2016, 10:16 PM
However... the dub opening thing is the most god awful fucking thing I've heard. It's just... really badly composed. It sounds super lazy and hacked together.

Is it this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDR-JnJ0WV0)? Does it play any other time aside from the beginning?

Don't know if anyone else got these, but my theatre was giving away things by the entrance to the movie

http://i.imgur.com/Y845OmRl.png (http://imgur.com/Y845OmR)

Did we, Americans, get annexed by Canadians? Lol.

Wasn't pleased sitting looking at a Chevrolet screen for 20 minutes before they turned on the damn movie.

Hmm. That detail in your experience seems oddly familiar (http://withthewill.net/threads/16406-tri-Part-1-Fathom-Screening-One-Week-to-Go-Info-Images-Canadian-amp-Special-Screening?p=295111#post295111).

Must be a common technical problem at Muvico/Carmike cinemas.

FIND NEW ROADS XD

jpwong
09-15-2016, 10:19 PM
However... the dub opening thing is the most god awful fucking thing I've heard. It's just... really badly composed. It sounds super lazy and hacked together.

Is it this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDR-JnJ0WV0)? Does it play any other time aside from the beginning?

Yeah, it's the full version of that song, no it was only played during the opening where Butterfly would have played.

Ashley Cuadra
09-15-2016, 10:46 PM
At least you guys had fun I wanted to go and see it but it's to late and I have to wait for a blu-ray or DVD release

KingBurgermon
09-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Saw it in Memphis - theater was more full than I thought. Didn't do a headcount but at least like 30-40 people.

I showed up 15 minutes late (thought there would be more pre-show, ended up getting there right when Sora was leaving her apartment), so I missed the theme song. I'm gathering they replaced Butterfly with the breakbeat business. Weird as everything else was pretty much a straight dub without any nostalgic pandering.

Didn't have any problems with the voice actors, still think Vic Mignogna is a lil gimmicky, but whatevs. Everybody sounded on-point. Appreciated that they kept all the background music.

Noticed the Gennai thing - I do think the dub is pretty fresh, so perhaps it'll get changed on the physical release. Either way, it doesn't bother me since that's how it'd be pronounced in Japanese.

It bothered me that they stuck with Omnimon though - I know they kept all the dub names, which is good for consistency's sake, but that name was dubbed before Alphamon was a thing. Given that Alphamon appears in the movie, it would have made sense and not have been particularly jarring for them to have changed it back to Omegamon to maintain that naming duality.

As far as crowd reactions, there was some noise when Agumon first speaks and some laughter at obvious jokes and any Izzy/Mimi stuff. But actually the suggestive TK/Matt line got the most reaction out of anything. Also some people got audibly pissed because they evidently hadn't seen Part 2 and had the whole thing spoiled by the little summary before the Part 3 preview (which they weirdly called a trailer in the promo material).

I was late so if there was any swag I didn't get any, but I didn't see anybody leaving with anything so I doubt it.

Does anyone actually believe this is going to get a nationwide release like they're saying? I'd be surprised - America has no tradition of gekijouban-style movies outside of special screening, and the pacing doesn't really make it feel like a high-octane film like a wide audience might expect.

Hagaren Gao
09-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Like everyone else, I really enjoyed it. My theater wasn't too full but it was fun to watch the movie with people who were clearly fans who knew all the call-backs and references.

I thought the newcomers to the cast did quite well. Aside from Kari, none of the new actors matched well to their previous voices but they still suited their characters very well. There was a collective laugh in the theater when Matt first spoke, which was amusing in itself. I was surprised how supremely nostalgic the Digivolution sequences were with the mix of dub voices/terms and Brave Heart, hit me right in the feels. I was really glad they added dialogue or even just vocalizations during the fight scenes since they were so silent in the sub that it was distracting. Probably my biggest complaint with Tri as a whole so far so I'm glad it was addressed.

I'm not sure why people are hating on the dub theme so much when it's... really not too different from the original theme. I wasn't sure how it would fit into the opening but I felt like it set the mood pretty well. I also don't like the Tri version of Butterfly so there's that.

Crunchyroll and Rightstuff have been promoting the movie so hard that I was hoping there would be some kind of BD announcement after wards, but no such luck. Hopefully it's around the same time as the R2.

Momentum
09-15-2016, 11:40 PM
For what its worth, the theatre broke the movie hahahaha. The disc or whatever started skipping right in the middle of the kuwagamon fight at haneda airport. What a great start!!!!

Were you at the West Edmonton Nall showing? The theater there had the exact same glitch. Because of it we missed Biyomon's and Tentomon's digivolution and we didn't get a rewind. :(

TMS
09-15-2016, 11:40 PM
It bothered me that they stuck with Omnimon though - I know they kept all the dub names, which is good for consistency's sake, but that name was dubbed before Alphamon was a thing. Given that Alphamon appears in the movie, it would have made sense and not have been particularly jarring for them to have changed it back to Omegamon to maintain that naming duality.

During the Gaia Origin quest in the localized version of Sunburst/Moonlight, they still had Alphamon saying, "I am the first," followed by "Omnimon" saying, "I am the last." Uh, not any more you're not.

MarcFBR
09-15-2016, 11:47 PM
OK, now that I'm more alive (mostly, feel exhausted to be honest.)

Began with a technical problem where I just had a Chevrolet logo on screen (theater was perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 full in a room that could maybe hold 200 people or so.)

The technical problem was then resolved and they just went right to the Toei logo.

The dubbing in general was spot on and I had little issue with what they did, including the handful of changes...

They snuck in a Prodigious as other people have mentioned.

Changing Meiko's bit of rural Japanese doesn't actually bother me for one simple reason. Her explanation for it was minimal in the Japanese, and this let them have a minimal explanation here. It's both an easy way to deal with the fact that they had to do 'something' and it shoves it just a touch in the spirit of the old dub without being forceful.

Lots of lines had small tweaks that in general I feel like worked for the dub, both in not shattering the minds of people who can't mentally get over that the dub isn't meant to be the Japanese version, but in having a whiff of the old dub spirit.

Voice acting in general was pretty good, but I'll go ahead and comment on nearly everyone.

Joshua Seth damn near was identical as Tai, and worked as well as any dub fan would work.

Tara Sands was pretty good as Kari. I think having a few clips of her ahead of time helped me get in the headspace of a new voice. Although her first line or two sounded SHOCKINGLY like Lara Jill Miller as Kari. This is an odd case where I believe most people still would prefer the original, but I think most people will be happy enough.

Colleen O'Shaughnessey definitely sounded different. I'd say based on comments Joshua Seth made about discussing his voice with the production crew, this was likely done on purpose to make her sound a bit more mature. It worked without seeming weird. After 1 or 2 lines it's simply Sora.

Vic Mignogna was perfectly fine as Matt. I have no issues with it, in fact, I'd say I enjoyed it.

Johnny Yong Bosch was fantastic as TK. I'd say I get the same feeling as I get when he played Renton. It's still Bosch, but slightly tweaked.

Mona Marshall as Izzy was basically the same as Tai. Effectively identical. And I doubt there will be a single complaint about it.

Robbie Daymond as Joe... he was very different, but I liked it to be honest. Joe doesn't talk a lot here, so it's harder to get a handle on him compared to the others. I'd say it comes across as a new voice, but the same character, just older and more mature.

Philece Sampler as Mimi. Mimi is interesting. Same actress, same inflections, and yet the voice sounds different. This is perhaps the primary example of 'same character, and the voice matches, but she just sounds older' and not in a bad way. I wouldn't say Mimi sounds more mature, but it sounds like a natural evolution of Mimi's voice.

Onto the Digimon...

Tom Fahn's Agumon seemed to swap between identical, and slightly higher in tone. It was hard to tell. Sounds like Agumon regardless.
Kyle Hebert's Greymon worked well. It stands in for Greymon's original voice in a way that I doubt most people would notice the change. We also got to hear a bit of MetalGreymon and WarGreymon (assuming my memory isn't playing a trick on me.) I want to say both of these were Kyle Hebert also.

Kirk Thornton as Gabumon (and Garurumon, plus quick takes of WereGarurumon and MetalGarurumon) sounded largely similiar. Much like Tom Fahn's Agumon, I want to say he at times sounded a bit... breathier? Part of the problem when you are listening closely is you may be picking up things that aren't there.

Cherami Leigh as Biyomon. Very different... not bad, just different. There wasn't an attempt to voice match, which based on your opinion is either good or bad (I sort of wonder if she was chosen because she was on hand as Himekawa anyways.)
Melodee Spevack as Birdramon said very little, but was close enough that I think it was identical.

Jeff Nimoy as Tentomon and Kabuterimon. Spot on, and honestly it seemed like when he spoke the audience had the most fun. I want to say I THINK his lines were punched up the most. He spoke very little as Kabuterimon so I admit I'm not 100% sure there, but it sounded the same to me.

Anna Garduno as Palmon has skewed in my mind to sounding different in the preview clip, but watching it it just sounded like Palmon.
Mari Devon had maybe 2 lines as Togemon but it was nice to hear the giant boxing cactus again.

R. Martin Klein as Gomamon. I still love Gomamon's dub voice. He still acts sort of like a little shit, and I like that. Gomamon is very concerned with the others, but he talks in a manner like he's doing what he wants.

Kate Higgins as Gatomon. The voice sounds much younger than what we've previously had, and there weren't any cat inflections that I noticed. Again, I'm not unhappy with it, it just takes some getting used to (much like with Biyomon, I have to wonder if Kate Higgins was chosen because she was there.)

Laura Summer as Patamon... sounded a touch different I believe at times. I gotta be honest, for some reason when I heard this voice I just decided I really missed it. It just sounds good.
Dave Mallow as Angemon was Angemon. I have literally nothing more to add. It was Angemon. I like Angemon.

Doug Erholtz as Nishijima was... deep. I guess I expected an aged up TK voice and instead he went with something much deeper and richer. It's a good voice, but after expecting something a bit less deep it took awhile to get used to. It really was shocking when you expect to hear TK and instead it's something more akin to Alex Louis Armstrong (not that he sounds like Armstrong.)

Cherami Leigh as Himekawa worked well for the few lines she had. It was a clean and smooth voice with a bit of harshness to it.

Cristina Vee as Meiko worked rather well. I'd be the first to admit I'm not a huge fan of hers, but the voice worked exceedingly well.
Kate Higgins as Meicoomon feels like it fit very well. I mean... she has all of like... two lines, so it's still a voice to get used to, but I didn't hear anything I didn't like.

Dorothy Elias-Fahn as Tai and Kari's Mom was certainly their mom. I believe she was a few other characters we heard, but most of the time I was 'trying' to just enjoy the film so I'm not sure.

I THINK Philece Sampler was actually the restaurant owner... doing a similar voice that she used for Matt and TK's grandma in the movie.

Any noticeable tweaks...

I think they tweaked the opening narration a bit. It came off much cleaner and easier to understand.
Kari's ice cream demand changed the name a bit and seemed to be much more clear she was asking for ice cream (in the original the parfait she asked for was so complicated many people thought she was ordering a coffee.)
As I mention above, lots of small dialogue tweaks, but by and large it was just tri.
For some reason I was vaugely surprised when I heard Kamiya.
Omnimon! (with voices for when Agumon and Garurumon flash evolve, as mentioned above, even though I don't recall dialogue in the Japanese version!)

The opening theme was of course changed. Was it necessary... no. The theme really clearly is TRYING to ape the original dub theme, but I think most of us know it to well for it to work (as for less hardcore fans I can't say.) The rest of the music I believe was identical.

The end credits for tri. in Japan continue on past the short animation clip, here they timed it so it didn't, and used the TV size version of the song I believe (while using the 'box' version of the ED animation.)

My PRIMARY issue...
It's great to not erase out Japanese text and to leave in Japanese songs... but you GOTTA put subtitles or overlays onscreen to show what's onscreen. Soft subs in theaters have been an issue because even minor software issues have caused them to not work with subtitled films (so for all I know they did and they didn't display.)

Translate important Japanese text AND Japanese songs, and for the theatrical master, burn them into the damn picture. That solves the issue (assuming they chose not to for technical reasons.)

Like I said, I didn't get the preshow. The Crunchyroll post show was in 2 parts.

The first part, with 2 hosts and some clips of the show, and clips of fans talking... that sort of thing is just never something I'm excited about. It was made competantly.

The second part was the preview of tri. part 3. I didn't time it, but it was the first 5 or 10 minutes subtitled by Crunchyroll. Nice preview.

No date was given for part 3.

I'm sure there is plenty I left out and will remember later or tomorrow (or answer in regards to questions.)

Oh yeah, a few familiar names from the production crew from prior English Digimon dubs. The name that stood out most was that we finally know who the dub director is now! As I recall, it was indeed Ryan Johnston, who I believe was who I put together it likely was months ago, but was NEVER able to confirm.

Momentum
09-16-2016, 12:18 AM
Also wanted to add that the artist for the new Digimon theme was John Majkut!

Sabrblade
09-16-2016, 12:22 AM
Okay, saw it and got a LOT to comment on. Feel free to correct me on any of the following, as I'm going by memory.

The opening with Demiourgos (renamed here as "Demiurge" like in the subs) was faithfully translated, complete with unique narrator voice.

Like others have said, "Butter-Fly" was replaced with "It's Digi-Time Again!" as the theme song, yet the former was still credited in the end credits alongside "Brave Heart" and "I Wish". But aside from that one musical change, all of the original Japanese score and soundtrack was kept.

The Japanese logo was kept for the title card instead of replacing it with the English logo. In fact, all of the original animation was left fully uncut and unaltered, for the first time in any U.S. English dub of Digimon. Though, the end credits shoved the Japanese background graphics into a smaller box off the left side of a new black background, so that all new English credits could be played on the right side of the screen.

The returning cast members were all spot on for the most part, with only Kirk Thornton's Gabumon sounding a little off and Anna Garduno's Palmon sounding a bit rough in some places.

The new cast members were either hit or miss. The hits were Tara Sands as Kari and Kyle Herbert as Greymon, MetalGreymon, and WarGreymon (yes, those two got to speak in this version, but it was only their names that they spoke).

Sadly, the rest were all misses for me. While every one of them all had good quality acting overall, the new voices for Matt, T.K., Joe, Biyomon, and Gatomon simply did not sound right at all. Vic Mignogna's Matt was especially off-putting because that simply wasn't Matt, it was Christopher. Yamato's tri. design had already made him look reminiscient of Kiriha's first design, and Vic's voice just brought that full circle. He was pretty much Matt in name only. He tried. Honestly, all of these new voices tried. But despite their best efforts, none of them simply sounded right at all.

If anything, a simple rearrangement of at least the male voices could have done wonders for the boys. Robbie's Joe voice was too deep, but could have worked very well for Matt. Vic's Matt voice was Vic's default voice, which while unfitting for Matt could have fit very well for Joe (or T.K.). Johnny's T.K. voice sounded like he was doing a Vic Mignogna impression (seriously, whenever Matt and T.K. were speaking to each other, they sounded almost identical to me), but since Doug Erholtz was already onboard as the voice of Nishijima, switching him and Johnny around would have given T.K. his previous voice and Nishijima a cooler-sounding voice.

Speaking of Nishijima, the new character voice cast members were all pretty good. Meiko's voice was dead on perfect, Himekawa sounded good, what little we could hear of Meicoomon was alright, and Nishijima, well, his voice was okay but much deeper than I was expecting. He's the only one of the new characters I'd be fine with recasting in my above-mentioned voice cast rearrangement suggestion.

Anyway, onward to the script changes. I'd say about 85% of the original dialogue was all kept intact. Of the changed 15%, I'd say 10% was dialogue that was simply rewritten, and 5% was newly-added dub-original dialogue.

Kari is a lot more sarcastic and sassy in this dub than Hikari was in the original.

The Strawberry Choco Bomber Crash seasonal Hyper Tropical Expresso is renamed to something shorter like "Super Chocolate Tropical Expresso" or something.

The soccer players' trying to impress Hikari with their manly enthusiasm is changed to them asking Kari if she'll be at the game to cheer them on. Hikari's wishing them luck is changed to Kari's hoping that she can be at the game to do so.

Yamato's use of "live" to refer to his concert is dubbed consistently as "gig" for Matt.

When Taichi says good morning to Yamato and Sora, they originally looked at him awkwardly because Nishijima had then appeared behind Taichi offscreen. In the dub, after the good mornings are said, Matt and Sora's looking at Tai awkwardly is given an offscreen line by Tai asking "Am I interrupting something?", as though he inadvertently caught Matt and Sora having a moment rather than their noticing Nishijima behind him.

Nishijima asking Taichi to come to his office during Lunch is changed slightly to him asking Tai to come to his office after lunch.

Taichi's career planning form is changed into being Tai's life goals paper.

The reason the Teen-Age Wolves broke up being due to "musical differences" is changed into being due to "creative differences". This allows Taichi's joke about Yamato being "musical" into being "You? Creative?"

IIRC, Tai refers to his lunch as a "combo meal".

Yamato's being particular about his ramen having the right amount of pepper is kept intact, but also includes a new bit about Tai having bad taste. This allows Taichi's "Knife of Ramen" joke to be changed into Tai saying that he and Matt have "creative differences", tying back into what was said earlier.

Taichi's saying to Nishijima that he likes being with his friends, but whom live too far away for him to see anymore, is changed to Tai saying that he would like to see an (just one) old friend again who lives in a place that's hard for him to get to.

The painted "Gaikoku" Kanji that Nishijima holds up is given some kind of narration dialogue (not sure by whom, maybe by Tai) to let us know what it says (sorry, I can't remember what translation was said, but I do remember that it was a two-word translation).

When Nishijima holds up the (rather messy) "Yume" Kanji, he says "Remember, dream big!" to explain its meaning (which is basically what he said in the original).

Taichi's calling out to "Koushiro!" is dubbed as Tai calling out "Hey, Izzy! Got a minute?!"

When Taichi asked Koushiro if he could come to Taichi's game, Koushiro originally just said that he couldn't because it's his parents' anniversary. Izzy does the same but also adds that his family goes out to dinner for it every year.

Taichi originally assumed that he could ask both Takeru and Hikari to come to his game, while Tai instead assumes that only Kari could come since he figures T.K. would be going to Matt's gig.

Taichi saying that Mimi's in America is slightly amended to Tai more specifically saying that she's in New York.

Izzy's looking up the prices of airfare is very different from Koushiro's doing the same. Koushiro spoke of yen prices while Izzy refers to dollar prices. Koushiro spoke of additional air fees while Izzy speaks of what flights are available and when, as well as speaking of how Mimi likes to travel with about four bags or so. And his speaking of how Mimi would prefer business class is changed to her preferring first class.

Hikari calling Takeru "a real babe-magnet" (as the subs put it), is changed to Kari figuring that T.K.'s bringing a girl to Matt's gig is "like a date".

IIRC, Hikari's line of "Un, bye bye!" is changed to "Yeah, see ya later."

Joe's teacher points out the 4th row being D-grade students and those in the back needing to work harder is changed to him first saying that the first row is for those with an A-grade, the second row is for B's, the third is for C's, and those in the fourth and fifth rows "need to buckle down."

As the animation wasn't changed, all of the Japanese names of the Chosen Children written in English on Himekawa's screen is kept in the dub.

The Kanto region in the news report is simply referred to as "the region" in the dub.

The Manta drink commercial is dubbed as a rhyme in sing-song (sorry, I don't remember the rhyme).

All of the Japanese text messages were given narration by the characters who wrote/sent them.

The "Daibacho Ground" is renamed the "city field".

The movers apologizing to Taichi for their being in his way were changed to their politely asking that Tai please move for being in their way. Both versions do have them saying that they'll be out of his way shortly.

Sora's complaining that she doesn't have enough time to get ready is changed to her now needing an outfit for both the soccer game and the gig.

Sora briefly thinking her clock saying 7:77:77 "must be a good sign" is changed to her saying "That's my lucky number!"

Koushiro originally asked Sora if her call is an emergency, while Izzy instead, for no apparent reason, fibs to Sora by saying he's "in the computer lab."

Izzy speaks French to the waiter just as Koushiro does, and Sora's original mistaking his first French line for English is corrected in the dub to her thinking she heard French.

Koushiro's thinking Sora's mishearing him was due to crossed wires and communication problems with the "digital realm" is changed to Izzy furthering his fib by claiming the "computer lab" has had communication problems lately.

Takeru asking Yamato what he calls his new band, if it's not the Teen-Age Wolves, is changed to T.K. at first claiming that he knows the name of the new band and then confessing that he really doesn't know its name. This prompts the "Knife of Day" answer in both versions.

Joe's typing Japanese gibberish on his laptop has him speak over it to let us know that "this isn't what [he] typed."

Taichi's fellow soccer player berating him for not bringing Hikari to the game is changed to said player simply asking Tai what happened to Kari.

The little girl telling her mother that her phone is acting weird is changed to her telling her mother that her phone stopped working.

The traffic jam is given a LOT more background yelling and banter in the dub, with drivers hollering at the lights and each other. One driver shouts "Don't yell at me!"

The news referring to Kuwagamon as an unidentified creature is changed to refer to him as "an unidentified creature or machine".

Takeru saying "I still love you the most" to Yamato is changed to T.K. saying "Nothing will ever come between us" to Matt (this line got a reaction from the audience).

Koushiro's asking the waiter for more tea in Japanese is changed to Izzy making a request to the waiter in French.

Joe's giving up on trying to get around the gibberish his computer keeps typing is given additional dialogue of him complaining about his computer breaking down on him.

Sora's looking at her watch and then her phone is given newly-added dialogue to make her think about if she's running late and notice that her phone has the wrong time on its screen (in the original, the point of her looking at her phone was to show that she had no signal; the time wasn't wrong, it's given in military time).

The bystanders who look at their phones are given newly-added dialogue to indicate that they have no signal.

Kuwagamon's roar is the same in the dub as it was in the original.

As seen in one of the preview clips, a new internal monologue is given to Tai as he evades Kuwagamon: "This is no random attack! Kuwagamon's definitely after me! But why?"

Another new internal monologue is given to Tai as he surveys all the damage Kuwagamon did to the area surrounding Fuji TV, in which he says that all the damage Kuwagamon did will undoubtedly be blamed by all the "good digimon". Except, at the point when he says this, there are no "good digimon" around, so he's both talking about a then-irrelevant group and talking about something that he shouldn't yet have any knowledge about at that point (the media blaming his digimon friends).

IIRC, Tai monologues in his head some more when he looks at the broken cellphone on the ground, puts his digivice in his pocket, and rides off to lead Kuwagamon away (don't quote me on this one, though).

Taichi's internal monologue in the original about feeling powerless by himself is mostly the same in the dub, but is longer and starts sooner so as to fill up more moments of silence from the original (don't worry, there's still a TON of other silent moments from the original that were retained in the dub).

The audience cheered when Agumon spoke his first line in Tom Fahn's voice: "Hey, Tai!"

In the original, none of the digimon ever spoke any of their attack names (save for Togemon's use of "Chikuchiku Bang Bang"). Sadly, this is retained for the dub, with no attack names spoken in this version either (again, save for Togemon's attack, which I think was dubbed as "How about a Needle Spray?!").

Hearing "Brave Heart" play in the dub felt ever so gratifying.

The sound volume of "Brave Heart" got much quieter than in the original whenever dialogue had to speak over it.

When Greymon comments on how much stronger than before Kuwagamon is, Taichi's original inquiry of "How come?" is changed to Tai asking "Is that a problem?"

All the nighttime scenes in the dub were really darkly-lit and hard to make out at several points.

Haneda Airport is renamed as "the international airport".

Nishijima tells Tai to "Get in the truck! I'll explain later!" This line got another reaction from the audience.

The men in black who approach Kari ask her "Is your name Kari?" instead of addressing her by her full name like they did for Hikari in the original.

Taichi's original reaction to seeing everyone at the airport with their digimon ("Minna...") is dubbed as "Impossible!" Uh, what's so impossible about it?

The audience cheered at Tentomon speaking with Jeff Nimoy's voice.

Mimi's complaining about Taichi not picking up her call after she came all the way from America is slightly changed to her making the same complaint while also claiming that she came all this way "for him," which we later find out isn't true, so for her to say this when she's by herself as though she believed it to be true is odd from an in-fiction standpoint.

The TV Mimi looks at is given a newly-added news report voice that speaks about the monster fight at the airport, and continues speaking as the scene changes to Joe walking across a bridge, as though it was also being broadcast from Joe's flip-phone.

Palmon asking to the heavens where Mimi is is changed to her saying how she can't fight/help/digivolve/etc. without Mimi.

IIRC, Yamato's cursing under his breath before ordering Gabumon to evolve is changed to Matt telling Tai that he and Gabumon will handle this fight.

Kabuterimon's monstrous roar in his evolution sequence is changed to a brand new roar done by Jeff Nimoy.

Gatomon's first Falcon Punching one of the Kuwagamon got a reaction from the audience.

Palmon's wanting Mimi to hurry up so she can evolve is changed to her again saying that she can't do anything to help without Mimi. Gomamon's saying that he's going to get Joe is slightly rephrased as a response to Palmon's line: "That's why I'm going to find Joe!"

Himekawa telling Mimi that she doesn't need to watch the news from Haneda because she's taking Mimi there now, and welcoming Mimi back to Japan, is slightly reworked to her telling Mimi that she doesn't need to watch the news because Mimi is going to "have a closer view" (or something like that), and then tells Mimi "we're going there".

Mimi's asking if "Palmon-tachi" are at the airport with the others is changed to "Palmon and Gomamon". Not sure why she singled out Gomamon.

"Omiyage" ("souvenirs") is dubbed as "presents".

After the second Kuwagamon is destroyed, Hikari's line of "It disappeared..." and Takeru's line of "There's one left," are dubbed respectively as "Two down..." and "...And one to go."

Matt refers to the agents who brought them there as "the humans who brought them there." His use of "humans" is a little odd in this context. The word "people" would sounded more natural in this case.

Yamato thinking about the professionalism of the men who brought them to the airport is changed to Matt thinking that those men might be the government.

Taichi's mentioning that Nishijima is the one who brought him is kept but also given a comment from him saying that Nishijima is "moonlighting as [their] teacher".

IIRC, a new line of dialogue is given to Tai right before Mimi calls out to the others and makes her presence (and her presents, lol) known.

Sora's asking Mimi if she came back for this battle is slightly reworked into her saying that if Mimi came back for this battle then she's a little late.

IIRC, Mimi's calling the colors of the gummy candy "weird" is changed to her calling it "cool".

Mimi saying that there's plenty of the gummies for everyone is amended into her saying that she has some for "you guys" (her human friends) that they can take home with them. This prompts the inquiry from Izzy of how they would get home that Koushiro asks here in the original.

​Post was too long, so this will be continued in another.

Sabrblade
09-16-2016, 12:25 AM
In the dub, Mimi is for some reason under the impression that Himekawa was a driver escort that the other kids personally arranged to come get her and bring her to them from the airport.

Sora thinking Himekawa looks "scary" is slightly amended to her thinking Himekawa looks "intimidating".

When Mimi asks where Joe and Gomamon are, the others originally guessed that he was busy because he's in his final year, while in the dub they instead speak of Joe's entrance exams for college. While this is what Joe is studying for in the original, it creates a continuity error in the dub with Revenge of Diaboromon having changed Joe's entrance exams for high school in that movie into being for college instead. Going by that logic, Joe should already be in college by this point in the dub version.

When Mimi originally wondered if Koushiro was looking at her because of him being attracted to her beauty, the dub has her more directly ask if he's "fallen in love with her".

Mimi originally said that her dad's work brought her back to Japan "for a while", whereas in the dub her dad's work transferred him back to Japan permanently, with Mimi saying that she's back "for good".

The morning news report refers to Odaiba as "the shopping district". This will be its dub name for the rest of the movie, with "Odaiba" never being spoken despite its use back in the dubs of Adventure and Zero Two.

The first woman civilian who speaks of the monster attacks on the news is given a rather high-pitched voice in the dub.

The dub mentioned the Self-Defense Force in the news report like in the original.

The weather report about the rainy season ending in the original now refers to clear skies in the dub.

The girls who speak of "Tanaka-kun's dad" now refer to just "my friend's dad" in the dub.

The teacher who Yamato and Taichi ask about Nishijima is given dialogue in the dub to tell them that Nishijima had business to take care of outside of the school, when he was originally silent in the original (in a way that meant we the audience could not hear the conversation he was having with the boys).

IIRC, Mimi and Meiko excusing themselves from the classroom they exit is dubbed as "See you tomorrow!"

When the others ask about Mimi's being at their school, Mimi originally first asked if she hadn't already told them before explaining that she's enrolled as a first-year student. In the dub, she instead insists that she already told the others that since she moved back into the neighborhood she's now going to the same school as them.

Instead of saying that Meiko is a second-year student who might be in Sora's class, Mimi in the dub says that Meiko is older than her and thus might be in Sora's class because of that fact.

In the dub, Meiko does not say that she comes from Tottori.

As Meiko takes her seat, the dub gives new dialogue to the teacher telling her to take the desk next to Tai.

The two boys talking about the monster fight, wanting all the monsters to hurry up and die, are amended in the dub to wanting the monsters to wipe all themselves out in these fights.

The six events Koushiro speaks of in the original are translated accurately enough in the dub.

The Digital World is never referred to as the "Digital World" by any of the kids or their digimon in the dub. It is only, consistently referred to by its very first dub name: the "DigiWorld". (Nishijima might have called it the "Digital World" later in the movie, but I don't remember)

When Hikari interrupts Koushiro's presentation to ask her brother about Nishijima, while Koushiro just kept on going with his dialogue in the background in the original, the dub has him stop talking and end his speech here, with him only speaking up again at later points in the conversation that he originally wasn't involved in. In cases where his mouth is moving while the others ignore him and talk amongst themselves, the dub has Izzy spout phrases loosely-related what he was talking about before like "If I could could only figure out what's causing the distortions..." or "The answer is right at might fingertips, if I could only figure it out somehow..."

Joe's original referring to how the media is garnering attention via scare tactics is slightly altered to him saying that the media is after publicity to get more attention. Nothing about scare tactics here.

Yamato's original refusing to accept the media blaming their digimon friends for the destruction caused by the Kuwagamon is changed to Matt saying that the media blaming their digimon friends for the destruction caused by the Kuwagamon is "pissing [him] off!" This is the first time a U.S. English dub of Digimon has ever used such language.

When Yamato originally demanded what Taichi suggest they do about the situation, Matt does so as well but also asks if Tai is thinking they should just do nothing.

Takeru's original asking if Joe's girlfriend is a human is changed to T.K. asking if she's a "real girlfriend".

Joe's originally stating that his being the oldest gives him first right to be happy is slightly altered to him asking if he ought to not have the right to be happy.

Joe originally yelled at the others' false belief in his having a girlfriend, while in the dub his yell is changed to a more whimpering moan.

The restaurant owner originally commented on the girls having "unusual friends", while the dub, she instead comments on the "funny-looking costumes" the digimon were wearing.

"Ittadakimasu!" is dubbed as "Okay, let's dig in!'

Tailmon's praising the taste and melting texture of the food is changed to Gatomon wishing that "there was someone who could cook like this in the DigiWorld!"

Mimi's thinking Sora's noticed how "handsome" Taichi and Yamato have become is changed to Mimi thinking Sora's noticed how "foxy" Tai and Matt have become.

The original wordplay on "handsome" is changed to match "foxy" with Gatomon saying "lynx-y" and Biyomon saying "cheetah-y"

In the original, Sora noticed Meiko passing the restaurant window and commented on that. The dub actually removes this little verbal observation of hers.

The audience laughed at Tai and Matt seeing Nishijima with a donut in his mouth.

IIRC, Yamato's reading aloud Nishsijima's job title is dead on accurate to the official subs.

Consistent to the English dubs of Adventure and Zero Two, "Hikarigaoka" is renamed "Highten View Terrace" in the dub.

Gennai's name is pronounced with a hard G like in the Japanese version instead of with a soft G like the English dubs of Adventure and Zero Two.

Taichi saying that Gennai helped them in the past is changed to him saying "He... took care of us..."

Koushiro wanted to purchase his clothes via online shopping, while Izzy wants to use a computer program he designed in order to do so (rather than said program merely showing him fashion ideas).

Tentomon's asking if Izzy has any particular reason for taking interest in fashion is spoken in the dub with him trying to hold back from laughing at Izzy.

As Izzy drinks his canned beverage to avoid answering T.K.'s asking him about Mimi being why Izzy is interested in clothes, the dub has T.K. joke that Izzy is "hitting the can a little hard, there."

Yamato's original harmonica tune is kept in the dub.

Gabumon saying Yamato's name after Yamato wonders if they all (the Chosen Children) will change is dubbed instead as "But he's your friend..."

During the sunset scene, Agumon saying "I don't know" to Taichi as he gets closer to him is changed to Agumon saying "I think you'll figure it all out" (or something like that) to Tai.

Taichi wondering if he might end up killing someone is changed to... something else more toned down from that. I can't remember what it was, but it definitely wasn't about killing.

Hikari originally just asked Taichi about his bringing Agumon with him to Koushiro's office and pointed out how Tailmon and the others were left at home. In the dub, Kari instead gives Tai an attitude about his bringing Agumon with Izzy's office, and then wishes she had brought Gatomon with her.

Izzy says that he's helping a friend who's trying to start a company, but does not mention that this an American friend of his. If this is the same friend that he had mentioned in Zero Two, the dub had previously turned that friend into Willis, so it's interesting that this movie's dub did not go that route.

Before pushing Agumon and Biyomon into the computer screen, Tentomon counts to three in the dub.

Taichi's uncertainty of how to read his text from Agumon is changed to Tai suddenly not knowing how to work his own phone. What?

Mimi's commending how useful Koushiro's virtual cyberspace is is changed to her calling it "Genius!"

Takeru's calling Yamato to (facetiously?) say how happy he is that Yamato and Taichi made up is changed to T.K. calling Matt to ask him why he hasn't made up with Tai yet.

T.K.'s blog still contains the "DIGIDISTINED" spelling error from the original.

As T.K. types on his blog about the Kuwagamon appearance in Tokyo, the dub has him monologue internally about them all needing to work together in a time like this, or something like that.

Izzy does not mention that he only got three hours of sleep in the dub. Instead, he just says "some sleep".

Tai compares the new goggles Izzy gives him to his old goggles, which Taichi did not do in the original.

Takeru's asking Koushiro if his laptop monitor is the gateway for the digimon to get back to the virtual cyberspace, and Koushiro's response that any monitor connected to the Internet will do, is changed to T.K. asking the same question but Izzy answering yes but he wants to test to see if any monitor connected to the Web should and will work.

When Sora sees Meiko by herself, the dub has Sora point her out as "the new girl" and calls to her by name.

When Meiko says that what she's looking for is "like a cat, sort of," the dub has Sora respond with something like "Sort of? It's either a cat or it isn't, right?"

Before Izzy asks Tai to check the area that they're in when the girls are off on there own, Tai comments on the leaving it to the girls to look for "the imaginary cat".

When Tai checks the area with his goggles, the dub has him say he doesn't see anything before he says that the area looks safe.

Before the shot of the kids eating ice cream, the shot of the standalone ice cream has Kari give an offscreen comment about it.

Koushiro's asking Taichi if he thinks the cat might be at the restaurant is changed to Izzy asking Tai if he thinks they'll find a distortion at the restaurant.

Originally, Taichi asked Koushiro if they could go somewhere where they could use the goggles to see everything at once, to which Mimi suggested a high place, which then prompted Hikari to ask what's tall in the area, and Koushiro then spotted the ferris wheel. This exchange is changed in the dub to have Tai ask if they could find a high place to everything with the goggles, to which Mimi responded by pointing out how there aren't any high hills nearby, which then prompted Kari to say that she know's a high place, and Izzy then commended Kari for thinking of the ferris wheel. Weird that they changed this.

When Matt appears before the others, the dub added new offscreen dialogue to T.K. saying "Well, look what the imaginary cat dragged in."

Gabumon saying that he's going to go join Agumon and the others in the virtual cyberspace (which we later see that he does do in both versions) is changed to him saying that he's gonna go ride the ride (the ferris wheel, which he does not do in either version).

Sora's referring to Yamato and Taichi as still being sore from their last encounter is given the addition of her saying that she's put them both in time out.

Takeru comparing the two older brothers being penned together like caged lions is changed to T.K. hoping the two will finally talk it out between the two, which as a joke leads into the shot of Tai sitting grumpily in silence not talking to Matt.

Matt's saying how Tai isn't acting like he used to is given the addition of him saying how Tai used to take action.

Taichi's pivotal line of "I see more and understand less" is fully kept in the dub!

Yamato's line of "That's just running away" is changed to Matt giving more hard words to Tai, essentially telling him to buck up and such.

Yamato's asking why they're up there on the ferris wheel is changed to Matt asking about Tai's goggles and what he plans to use them for.

The intercom declaring an emergency evacuation refers to Odaiba as "the harbor" and the theme park where the ferris wheel is at as "the waterfront".

Meiko's nickname for Meicoomon "Mei-chan" is changed to just "Meicoomon" in the dub.

Himekawa refers to Alphamon as "the one" in the dub.

IIRC, Yamato asking "What are you doing, Taichi?!" is changed to Matt saying "Now's not the time to hold back!"

Yamato was originally surprised to see Gabumon. But in the dub, after Gabumon says Matt's name, the shot of Gabumon is accompanied by a new offscreen line from Matt saying "Well, look who it is," and right after this he still says "Gabumon?" with a bit of confusion in his tone, making his new offscreen line make less sense.

Garurumon grunts a lot more during this fight than he did in the original.

As each one of Agumon's and Gabumon's higher forms appear onscreen, each of them speaks their name is succession like so: "WereGarurumon!" "MetalGreymon!" "MetalGarurumon!" "WarGreymon!"

Omegamon is renamed Omnimon as per dub tradition. The audience cheered for his appearance.

Koushiro's delight to see Omegamon is dubbed as Izzy's own special way of expressing delight: "Prodigious!" The audience cheered at this line.

Like in the original, Alphamon Ouryuken and Ouryuken itself are given no verbal descriptor in the dub.

Sora's yelling "Taichi!" and Koushiro's yelling "Yamato-san!" are respectively changed to "Tai! Matt!" and "You guys okay?!" And then Izzy, offscreen, says something about the two of them being okay after all.

Hikari's asking if "Mei-chan" is the name of what Meiko is holding is changed to Kari asking if what Meiko is hold is named "Mei", which Kari claims to have heard Meiko call it. This is an inconsistency since Meiko did not call Meicoomon "Mei" in the dub. She only called her "Meicoomon".

"Ta much" sounds more like "Dun dun" in the dub, and is said by Meiko to be "Meicoomon-speak".

The end credits revealed Ryan Johnston to be the dub voice director, and all of the voice actors we knew about being in this beforehand were credited (except for Todd Haberkorn), and plus one we hadn't heard of being in this before: John Bentley.

Overall, I really enjoyed this, but mostly for the things that were lifted straight from the original (i.e. - the animation, the action, and most definitely the awesome music). The acting was good, the dialogue worked for the most part, and all the returning voices were probably the best they've ever been (Palmon and Gabumon aside). The new voices did their best and some worked while others felt miscast. And the preview for Part 3 was longer than I expected it to be (but I think most of the people in the audience hadn't yet seen Part 2, and so were royally spoiled by Part 3's textual recapping of Part 2's events). This was truly a wonderful experience on the whole.

DaemonCorps
09-16-2016, 12:44 AM
Colleen O'Shaughnessey definitely sounded different. I'd say based on comments Joshua Seth made about discussing his voice with the production crew, this was likely done on purpose to make her sound a bit more mature. It worked without seeming weird. After 1 or 2 lines it's simply Sora.

Out of the returning digidestined VAs, I feel like she sounded... tired? Then again, from what I remember of the dub, Sora always spoke like she was low-key stressing over something, so I guess it was fine.

Daymond's take on Joe took a bit to get used to, but considering he's the oldest of the humans I was able to accept him pretty quickly. He didn't go for a blatantly meager/nerdy voice, but his voice still had tons of stress and anxiety. I honestly feel like Joe's old VA would have stood out too much had he delivered it the same way he did Joe's voice back in the day.

...and of course JYB as Matt... I didn't mind. It sounded like a slightly older Ed from FMA, which was what I was expecting, so no complaints here.

Jeff Nimoy as Tentomon and Kabuterimon. Spot on, and honestly it seemed like when he spoke the audience had the most fun.
My theater had maybe 20 or so people, and I think the only digimon that got more noticeable excitement from the crowd besides Agumon's voice was Tentomon's. Funny, considering both their human partners have equally memorable dub voices.

And while she only had one or two lines, I feel like Spevack as Birdramon was the most memorable "evolved form" voice (the rest just have such a generic gravelly voice, that they could all be interchangeable), so glad she brought it for how little was said.

My PRIMARY issue...
It's great to not erase out Japanese text and to leave in Japanese songs... but you GOTTA put subtitles or overlays onscreen to show what's onscreen. Soft subs in theaters have been an issue because even minor software issues have caused them to not work with subtitled films (so for all I know they did and they didn't display.)

This. While the dub script itself did a decent job of giving enough context for the Japanese text to not matter, actually having hard-subs for a theatrical showing would have definitely helped.

Other thoughts: I honestly don't know how you couldn't have seen the movie before seeing it in theaters, but based on some reactions of "oh no part 2 spoilers!" from the audience, I guess that's a thing. I hate playing the "if you're a fan, you'd have seen it by now " card, but I mean... it's readily available on Crunchyroll, even for free users. It makes me wonder just how those people knew of the dub playing in theaters, but NOT of the subs online. Like... what would that Venn Diagram even look like?

An overall great movie, though! I honestly felt like I enjoyed the theatrical version more than the episode-split version. Everything just seemed to flow a lot better, and Tai's worrying over collateral damage felt more justified for some reason. Plus, iirc we got a decent amount of additional animation with Meicoomon glowing red, hinting at what's to come for part 2.

TMS
09-16-2016, 12:48 AM
Other thoughts: I honestly don't know how you couldn't have seen the movie before seeing it in theaters, but based on some reactions of "oh no part 2 spoilers!" from the audience, I guess that's a thing. I hate playing the "if you're a fan, you'd have seen it by now " card, but I mean... it's readily available on Crunchyroll, even for free users. It makes me wonder just how those people knew of the dub playing in theaters, but NOT of the subs online. Like... what would that Venn Diagram even look like?

They knew of it. They just didn't want to watch it because it wasn't in English.

MarcFBR
09-16-2016, 01:07 AM
Long post Sabr. Not going to comment on it all, just a few things... which will still make this a huge post.

The opening with Demiourgos (renamed here as "Demiurge" like in the subs) was faithfully translated, complete with unique narrator voice.

Demiurge is almost certainly the correct spelling of the name. Demiourgos is likely just the Japanese trying to say Demiurge.

Though, the end credits shoved the Japanese background graphics into a smaller box off the left side of a new black background, so that all new English credits could be played on the right side of the screen.

This is how it was in the Japanese version.

The Strawberry Choco Bomber Crash seasonal Hyper Tropical Expresso is renamed to something shorter like "Super Chocolate Tropical Expresso" or something.

I believe she finished the name with 'bucket' if that helps.

Koushiro originally asked Sora if her call is an emergency, while Izzy instead, for no apparent reason, fibs to Sora by saying he's "in the computer lab."

I believe the idea was Izzy didn't want Sora to hang up embarrassed that she called at such a bad time since she seemed to need help.

The traffic jam is given a LOT more background yelling and banter in the dub, with drivers hollering at the lights and each other. One driver shouts "Don't yell at me!"

No comment, I just liked this moment (actually... was it 'Don't yell at me', or 'Stop yelling at me', I honestly don't remember.)

Another new internal monologue is given to Tai as he surveys all the damage Kuwagamon did to the area surrounding Fuji TV, in which he says that all the damage Kuwagamon did will undoubtedly be blamed by all the "good digimon". Except, at the point when he says this, there are no "good digimon" around, so he's both talking about a then-irrelevant group and talking about something that he shouldn't yet have any knowledge about at that point (the media blaming his digimon friends).

I took this as both foreshadowing, and the general knowledge people have that very often good people will often be blamed, especially when it isn't easy to differentiate them from the villain.

All the nighttime scenes in the dub were really darkly-lit and hard to make out at several points.

I believe we saw these seem complaints when tri. part 1 came out last year didn't we?

The audience cheered at Tentomon speaking with Jeff Nimoy's voice.

I'm still pleased by Tentomon in tri.

Mimi's complaining about Taichi not picking up her call after she came all the way from America is slightly changed to her making the same complaint while claiming that she came all this way "for him," which we later find out isn't true, so for her to say this when she's by herself as though she believed it to be true is odd from an in-fiction standpoint.

Not quite. She's angry and frustrated. We all tend to say stuff when frustrated in the moment, even if we know it isn't true.

Mimi's asking if "Palmon-tachi" are at the airport with the others is changed to "Palmon and Gomamon". Not sure why she singled out Gomamon.

I assumed this was a combination of needing to fit a few more flaps and they decided Gomamon worked well enough since the audience knew Joe wasn't around.

"Omiyage" ("souvenirs") is dubbed as "presents".

That actually works well enough that I forgot it wasn't presents to be honest...

In the dub, Mimi is for some reason under the impression that Himekawa was a driver escort that the other kids personally arranged to come get her and bring her to them from the airport.

Himekawa's dialogue to Mimi in the dub was worded in a specific way. Her dialogue could easily be interpreted as that she was specifically there to bring Mimi to her friends and the Digimon (which actually meshes with the princess-setup they gave Mimi occasionally in both versions.)

Yamato's original refusing to accept the media blaming their digimon friends for the destruction caused by the Kuwagamon is changed to Matt saying that the media blaming their digimon friends for the destruction caused by the Kuwagamon is "pissing [him] off!" This is the first time a U.S. Enlgish dub of Digimon has ever used such language.

Multiple people in my theater actually reacted to this.

Taichi saying that Gennai helped them in the past is changed to him saying "He... took care of us..."

Honestly, I liked this line better than the Japanese line. I think the Japanese line was roughly "He was helpful to us in the past." The dub line felt a bit more personal to be honest. It felt like a better connection to me.

Taichi's uncertainty of how to read his text from Agumon is changed to Tai suddenly not knowing how to work his own phone. What?

I took both versions to mean that he was expecting it to work 'different' to read a text from Agumon than the way it would normally work (since obviously in both versions we see him dealing with a text message earlier.)

Takeru comparing the two older brothers being penned together like caged lions is changed to T.K. hoping the two will finally talk it out between the two, which as a joke leads into the shot of Tai sitting grumpily in silence not talking to Matt.

This actually worked exceptionally well, and is a good example of a dub making a joke without actually dialoguing out a full joke.

Taichi's pivotal line of "I see more and understand less" is fully kept in the dub!

I was very pleased at this.

Yamato's asking why they're up there on the ferris wheel is changed to Matt asking about Tai's goggles and what he plans to use them for.

I rather liked how it was also given the context of Tai not normally wearing goggles anymore.

Yamato was originally surprised to see Gabumon. But in the dub, after Gabumon says Matt's name, the shot of Gabumon is accompanied by a new offscreen line from Matt saying "Well, look who it is," and right after this he still says "Gabumon?" with a bit of confusion in his tone, making his new offscreen line make less sense.

I may not be remembering it right, but I took the inflection as excited and happy, not as confusion.

And since I checked posts inbetween starting the response and finishing it, I'll comment on Daemon and TMS' also...

They knew of it. They just didn't want to watch it because it wasn't in English.

It's not just that, to use Crunchyroll or to watch anime online, you need to search it out and know what you are looking for (when most Digimon fans never got into anime. Digimon was just a saturday or weekday cartoon they watched.)

Many people don't look for anime. Digimon is the same as any other entertainment to them. Anime while perhaps bigger than ever, is still a niche market.

A good chunk of people on a normal basis 'stumble upon' Digimon on Netflix and post about finding a childhood favorite again.

Before it started a few people in the theater seemed incredulous and pleased that Digimon was back, seemingly having just found out about the event.

I mean, consider all the audience reports from here and on Twitter, etc. just discussing how shocked many audience members were at a preview of part three at all. They seemed fully unaware for such a thing.

jpwong
09-16-2016, 02:11 AM

Were you at the West Edmonton Nall showing? The theater there had the exact same glitch. Because of it we missed Biyomon's and Tentomon's digivolution and we didn't get a rewind. :(

Hey, that's the one I went to, we got screwed there (losing 5 mins of the first big fight), how does a 10 second freeze cause a 5 min jump in footage? I heard one person commenting after the movie that that fight was essentially the whole reason they went to the screening and we basically missed the whole thing. Kinda wish they had left the table set up cause I somehow doubt they gave away all their "mouse pads" is what the lady called them. Was hoping someone from the US would comment if they got their own version of things cause since the English text says "To our U.S. Digidestined..." I wanted to find out if they had just photoshopped the flags or something, but so far no one else says they got the stuff period...

MarcFBR
09-16-2016, 02:17 AM
Hey, that's the one I went to, we got screwed there (losing 5 mins of the first big fight), I heard one person commenting after the movie that that fight was essentially the whole reason they went to the screening and we basically missed the whole thing. Kinda wish they had left the table set up cause I somehow doubt they gave away all their "mouse pads" is what the lady called them. Was hoping someone from the US would comment if they got their own version of things cause since the English text says "To our U.S. Digidestined..." I wanted to find out if they had just photoshopped the flags or something, but so far no one else says they got the stuff period...

My theater had nothing, not even the postcard type cards many others had (Eleven Arts has given those out like candy and we've actually done a good scan of them in one of the Fathom/Eleven Arts news posts.)

I would assume there is some type of check they are supposed to do to make sure the files got from satellite to theater properly (hash check, filesize check, SOMETHING) that apparently your theater didn't do (or some other issue of some sort, since based on the issue my theater had this wasn't 'live broadcast' style as some Fathom events are.)

Lucky while mine screwed up the beginning, once they realized they hadn't started it they just started it right where the movie began with the new style Toei logo (I assume a chapter system of some sort let them bypass the nice countdown some people got, and then the few minutes of Fathom listings, and then the pre-show.)

This wasn't at my local theater that opened up a year ago (across the street from where I currently live.)

My local theater has REALLY spoiled me for movie going. They always put on a good presentation, often times giving out cards/etc. if they have them for films. They have multiple employees thank you for coming as you leave the theater, with one holding a giant thing of mints, etc (of course, the setup of the theater means you have a lot of interaction with employees, so it feels much more personable.)

Momentum
09-16-2016, 02:52 AM

Hey, that's the one I went to, we got screwed there (losing 5 mins of the first big fight), how does a 10 second freeze cause a 5 min jump in footage? I heard one person commenting after the movie that that fight was essentially the whole reason they went to the screening and we basically missed the whole thing. Kinda wish they had left the table set up cause I somehow doubt they gave away all their "mouse pads" is what the lady called them. Was hoping someone from the US would comment if they got their own version of things cause since the English text says "To our U.S. Digidestined..." I wanted to find out if they had just photoshopped the flags or something, but so far no one else says they got the stuff period...

Whoa that's cool we were both there! I don't get why they didn't rewind especially now since it appears it was an error exclusive to our theater. The table was gone but I was able to get a second "mouse pad" by asking for one at the ticket booth. I'm pretty sure from the stack I saw before entering the movie (15 minutes to 7pm), they had plenty of extras. I wanted to know the same thing about the flags since the text about the US Digidestined really threw me off. Who even actually signed them in the first place?

jpwong
09-16-2016, 02:57 AM
It froze briefly a few minutes earlier as well, but only for a second and we didn't lose any time on that one more than what the freeze would have covered. Well, at least a lot of people sounded like they had already watched the subs. I'll see if I can hook up my scanner at some point to get a better image of the Tai/Agumon card seeing as how it almost sounds like only my theatre gave them out :eek:

Whoa that's cool we were both there! I don't get why they didn't rewind especially now since it appears it was an error exclusive to our theater. The table was gone but I was able to get a second "mouse pad" by asking for one at the ticket booth. I'm pretty sure from the stack I saw before entering the movie (15 minutes to 7pm), they had plenty of extras. I wanted to know the same thing about the flags since the text about the US Digidestined really threw me off. Who even actually signed them in the first place?

Probably like GoC mentioned, their file was probably incomplete, so a rewind probably wouldn't have fixed it, we probably would have had to wait for them to actually redownload. Plus none of the staff were probably watching anyhow to even have noticed something went wrong for them to fix in the first place. It's not like the movie stopped and someone had to go tell them to fix it like what I hear happened to some of the Attack on Titan screenings. I guess you were one of the people I saw come in since I got in around 20-25 before the start (and it was already looking pretty full then), I was up in F row. I actually went back out and grabbed a few extras cause I figured the table would disappear during the movie. At least you weren't that group of people I saw walk in 20 mins after the movie started :p
Hope they show the rest of the movies at WEM if they release them, I'm NOT going to go to South Edmonton Common to see it if they screen them down there since transit between Century Park and SEC is terrible.

MarcFBR
09-16-2016, 03:08 AM
I'll see if I can hook up my scanner at some point to get a better image of the Tai/Agumon card seeing as how it almost sounds like only my theatre gave them out :eek:

If you can do it ultra high resolution, please PM me so we can get me the raw file and I can edit it up.

And it seems like a few theaters in Canada had very nice presentations (either that or the people I've seen talk about the nice setups all happened to be at he same theater you two went to.)

The Attack on Titan thing jp mentions, in case people don't know, was actually an interesting glitch when Funimation did the live action Attack on Titan films in theaters caused by a handful of theaters not updating their software properly.

At the time Funimation was using soft subtitles for their theatrical presentations in general. The subtitles were up to date properly, but theaters hadn't downloaded a software patch for something else, which caused issues partway through the film.

It was scheduled for multiple nights, and they sent a new subtitle file for the next night as I recall.

Now Funimation burns the subtitles in the image in their DCPs (digital cinema package, the way most movies are distributed to theaters), bypassing any potential problems.

jpwong
09-16-2016, 03:21 AM
All the Canadian showings were done by Cineplex Odeon, so they're all large scale theatres. Not sure if all their theatres are like mine, but it's plush seats with stadium style seating. It was a really high end theatre way back when it originally opened as Famous Player's SilverCity. I think we had one of the first actual IMAX screens that wasn't at some sort of science center (back before IMAX could be played on digital projectors and everyone started retrofitting regular theaters to play IMAX style), I remember they had to fly the screen in with a helicopter while they place was being built.

I'll let you know about the image once I'm able to get the scan of the thing, it's actually a little bigger than the scannerbed, so I'll need to scan it twice and combine the images.

MarcFBR
09-16-2016, 03:26 AM
Dealing with one chain likely meant there could be a standardized setup, which no doubt made it very easy to deal with.

Of course, dealing with 30 theaters instead of 450 probably also makes it easier to come up with a setup.

Theater it played in for me was a modern large scale theater, it's just not my preferred theater.

Of course, for all I know promotional stuff was sent out and they just forgot or didn't put it out.

C-MC
09-16-2016, 04:04 AM
Obviously I couldn't see the movie cause I live in Europe but anyways any word on the TCL Chinese Theater Talkback Q&A??? Also seen that that Toei and Funimation organized a dub premiere party

Kai32
09-16-2016, 04:10 AM
so read few post back about the Hard G on Gennai I mean yes Seth could forget it's not a Hard G but the person most that should know in the dub that it not a Hard G would of be Jeff I mean he was director screenwriter for the dub back in the day was he not.

MarcFBR
09-16-2016, 04:27 AM
Obviously I couldn't see the movie cause I live in Europe but anyways any word on the TCL Chinese Theater Talkback Q&A??? Also seen that that Toei and Funimation organized a dub premiere party

Cobbled together what I 'think' the party was via Twitter posts.

It appears Toei USA partnered with Funimation for a party after the TCL screening because Toei and Funimation are close partners and Funimation knows how to hold these things (and has done it for Toei brands before.) To say nothing of the fact that Funimation has held these types of events before and Toei USA hasn't (and I doubt you want the first time to test out if you can handle it to be at a movie event at the TCL.)

They gave away prizes including Toei stuff like DBZ and One Piece, booze, etc. Chances are if Funimation had licensed it already they would have announced it at the Q/A or during the after party. At the moment it appears this was purely a promotional partnership (like how TRSI and many anime related companies had been giving away tickets to the movie despite no obvious connection to the dub of tri.)

Of course, it's possible I'll go to bed in a few minutes and wake up in the morning to an announcement (it's very late and I need sleep, so the above explanation may sound less coherent than I intended.)

so read few post back about the Hard G on Gennai I mean yes Seth could forget it's not a Hard G but the person most that should know in the dub that it not a Hard G would of be Jeff I mean he was director screenwriter for the dub back in the day was he not.

It's been over 15 years. Expecting him to remember a detail like that would be unreasonable. Not to mention the fact I don't believe Tentomon ever says Gennai in tri. part 1 does he? So he very well may not have known it was even mentioned (to say nothing of the fact that Toei could easily have requested the hard-G sound.)

Tetra Seleno
09-16-2016, 04:39 AM
Yeah, I'm with Marc on the last point about Toei requesting the hard-G sound. Considering that they left in almost every other relevant dub term -- including Highton View Terrance to describe Hikarigaoka -- it felt like a more than reasonable 'concession', a term that I use extremely loosely in this case considering that the Gennai pronunciation was butchered in the dub in the first place.

sugarplumfairy
09-16-2016, 05:51 AM
Moreover, Gennai was named after a real person (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiraga_Gennai), so it might be a deliberate correction of the dub's initial mispronunciation of the name.

Sabrblade
09-16-2016, 07:19 AM
The only characters involved in the first Gennai conversation were Nishijima, Tai, and Matt. So Doug Erholtz, Joshua Seth, and Vic Mignogna would have been the only VAs to have possibly spoken the name. Jeff only went in to record his own lines, so even if he did remember how Gennai's name was said in the dub, he likely wasn't even around for the recording of the Gennai conversation. If anyone's to blame for not remembering how to say the name, it's Erholtz and Seth. But as has been said, that was all 16 years ago and there's no real reason for us to assume that Gennai's name is something that they'd normally keep in mind for all that time like we fans do.

Then there's the scene where Himekawa and her superior mention Gennai, and we know Cherami Leigh wouldn't be familiar with the name, along with the fact that we don't know who voiced Himekawa's superior (his voice was deep, though). Whoever voiced him may not have known or remembered how Gennai's dub name was said either.

jpwong
09-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Even if they did remember, if whoever recorded it first said it one way, they may have decided to simply go with that name instead of having to haul the first actor back in to re-record. English dubbing doesn't work like how you see the Japanese doing it where all the VAs are in a room recording along side each other. Here they literally show up and stand in a booth to basically record their lines in isolation and then everything is mixed together at the end.

TMS
09-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Demiurge is almost certainly the correct spelling of the name. Demiourgos is likely just the Japanese trying to say Demiurge.

They're both correct in a sense. Demiourgos is the original Greek word from which the English word Demiurge was derived.

deltabot_digidestined
09-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Don't have a long post like a lot of other people. But I thought it was good! However, I'm very easy to please. When they were doing the top 5 digimon before the movie, a man dressed as Ash Ketchum called out "Charizard is my favorite!" which was immediately met with a chorus of "Shut up Ash!" Overall very pleased with the dub. Also, did anyone notice Tai's English book was titled "One Vision" which I believe to be a reference to the Tamers insert song for Matrix Evolution.

Vice
09-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Don't have a long post like a lot of other people. But I thought it was good! However, I'm very easy to please. When they were doing the top 5 digimon before the movie, a man dressed as Ash Ketchum called out "Charizard is my favorite!" which was immediately met with a chorus of "Shut up Ash!" Overall very pleased with the dub. Also, did anyone notice Tai's English book was titled "One Vision" which I believe to be a reference to the Tamers insert song for Matrix Evolution.

Someone really went in dressed like Ash Ketchum to attend a Digimon movie viewing? Wow what a troll lmao. Yeah noticed that the first time I saw the movie.

Overall can't say a lot didn't attend the screening, but love the clips I've seen so far, it seems like they wanted to please fans who are nostalgic to the Saban dub of Adventure, but also fans who enjoy the original Japanese version of Digimon as well, which I think is great. Gonna buy the Blu Ray once it's out.

As for them showing part 3 in theatres instead of two, probably because part 3 comes out next week and there's no dub preview for part 2 yet, wouldn't make sense to show a trailer for part 2 that's subbed, because when part 2 gets here if it does it's going to be dubbed not subbed. Plus I'm sure Toei or whoever is thinking most fans have already seen the second part by now.

Rika24
09-16-2016, 08:41 PM

at least everyone had a sense of humor about it lol :D

Zekkaina Solo
09-18-2016, 06:11 PM
I got a message in IG about six hours ago from Eleven Arts saying I won a ticket through their cosplay contest and I replied two hours ago when I saw it but I kind of doubt I'm going to be getting that pass in time. I don't know who dropped the ball in notifying people ... But less than 24 hours notice is not cool. Good thing I already have a ticket! ;-)

This is why for the contests here I did everything I could myself, minus actually getting you guys the tickets (I like that you won 2 contests at 2 different places though.)

Yep, and I still haven't heard back from them --just going to chalk it up as an "oh well" type of thing, but still disappointing. Very glad you were quick with it, Marc. =)

So, it sounds like some theaters showed the extra material in different places (before or after)? At our Regal Theater, I counted about 30 people when I walked into the theater room at about 6:55. I think there a couple of people that came in after, but not a ton more. They were showing slides/posters of other Fathom showings. Then at 7pm, they had a Crunchyroll video with their "top 5" Digimon. I think it was like 5. Graymon?, 4. Veemon , 3. Gatomon, 2. Poromon (what? I mean, I love the little guy, but ...), 1. Metalgarurumon. Anyway, it was really weird reasoning ... Then they started the film. People weren't quite as audible/interactive as I hoped they might, but I did uncharacteristically squeal out loud when Agumon first spoke. =P Someone was laughing everytime they showed the digivolution scenes for some reason. I personally love the tri digivolution animation (and song!), so IDK why that reaction ...

Also felt like it was the "best of both worlds" to get the Japanese digivolution theme (and music) and the English cast. I "discovered" the Japanese themes/songs when I re-watched Digimon seasons 1-4 a couple of years ago and (other than getting the rights to the songs) it blows my mind why they would swap them out in English. The instrumentals in those songs are spectacular. We all cringed with that new English Digimon theme --IMHO, if they were going to take out Butter-Fly, they should have replaced it with the original English Digimon theme (or remixed it like they did for Digimon Tamers). I know there might have been issues with getting the rights to that though ...

After the film, they had a Crunchyroll video that had people talking about what Digimon means to them and then the 5 minute Confession preview/spoilers. ;-)

But overall, it was a pretty cool experience. There were four of us cosplaying: A cute couple Adventure crossplay with the girl as TK and the guy as Kari, a Tri Matt, and me with Tri Kari. We had some interesting discussions/theorizing afterward and there was one tween I spotted with his adult older brother, so that was kind of neat for me to see. Nice to know there's a "new generation" of kids discovering not just Pokemon (which still is going strong), but Digimon too. =)

Disclaimer: It's been a few years since I watched the original English cast dub of Adventure/02, but here's my take ...

To me, only Joe sounded really off compared to the original VA. I feel like Joe's voice was more mature/older, the new VA's voice sounds younger. I'm going to wait until part 2 to make my final judgement on that. All the other new VAs sounded like they were paying homage to the originals, like there were moments when I could see elements that reminded me of the original VAs. But not really Joe (or Gatomon, now that I think about it --but the original was a pretty unusual/unique voice).
I'm hoping when we hear Joe in part 2, it'll be better/closer. Or maybe the new VA can't, so he's making the role his own? Ugh, he didn't have enough lines for me to tell.

TK felt like an older TK, very believable, as with Kari. I didn't feel like they changed her too much from the subbed version (though I watched that earlier this year, so memory might be faulty), though one person I talked to afterwards thought the delivery and tone of her new voice makes her sound whiny. *shrug*

Matt --I was torn. There were moments when it felt like Vic captured elements of the original VA, but other times I was like, "I would love to hear how Michael would have said that line." But for the most part, I thought he sounded fairly close. I haven't really heard him in other roles (at least, not memorable to me) minus Christopher in Digimon Fusion (who at first, I was convinced was Henry Wong's VA from Tamers, LOL), so I guess it didn't affect me as much as other people.

All I could think about when I heard Meiko was Marinette Dupain-Cheng/Miraculous Ladybug (another character the VA does). =P But her voice did fit for Meiko.

The original VAs reprising their roles sounded good to me --anything "off" in their performances, I chalked up to the characters being older. Especially happy to hear Gomamon --I can't wait for Determination to get dubbed. VA was spot on!

I LOVE Himekawa and Nishijima's voices! I know Cherami Leigh from her role as Asuna Yuuki in Sword Art Online, but her performances in this film felt different enough that while I could tell it was Cherami, I never thought it was Asuna. Biyomon was pitched high like the original, so it sounded like the right tone, but I can't picture original Biyomon's voice in my head to truly compare.

jpwong
09-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Anyone at the Canadian screenings get anything other than the movie? My theatre (Edmonton Scotiabank) didn't show anything before the movie and I don't think they showed anything after the movie either

MarcFBR
09-18-2016, 08:01 PM
I don't believe the Canadian screenings were via Fathom, the pre/post show was specific to Fathom.

Zeether
09-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Sadly it looks like my friends down south aren't going to be able to see Tri's additional screening, closest is in Ft. Lauderdale.

I wish we'd find out who has the video rights since the UK already has them.

Wackko200
09-22-2016, 07:24 PM
It's been awhile since I last posted here. I lived in Las Vegas and there's only two theaters that showed this Digimon movie. I went to a Century theaters and I didn't even get anything. Anyway, I saw the dubbed Digimon Tri movie. I loved it!:) I already saw the first four episodes in Japanese. They did a post show before the movie and they show that they will have more Digimon content after the showing. I don't agree to the whole list of 5 favorite Digimon, except for Gatomon and Veemon. Leomon surprised me to be on that list. The dubbed theme grew on me and I loved that most of the characters had the original cast. So, the dubbing was well done. Can't wait to see more. I missed Izzy's "Prodigious" remark, which I'm surprised to hear it again!:) The theater wasn't full, but it's around almost 30 people. Most people were college students like me. There is only one kid in the whole room that looks like he's in Elementary school, who brought his mom with him. I wonder how he knew about this showing? Nice reaction from the audience, Agumon talking, the Izzy/Mimi moments, Tai/Matt moments, the "Prodigious" line and Joe's girlfriend secret.;) After the movie, they show an after show and the first 10 minutes of Part 3.....I haven't seen Part 2 yet.

Hero BLOB
09-24-2016, 05:25 PM
I'm looking forward to this! I was working during the original screening, but I'm getting to see an encore at Alamo Drafthouse in Austin!!

ImperialFeline
09-25-2016, 07:40 PM
I managed to miss the showing, anyone have an idea if there'll be a dvd/streaming release?

MarcFBR
09-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Deleted a post.

We have a thread specifically for the handful of additional screenings.

There is no home video or streaming release announced yet, except for the UK, both a DVD and Blu-ray have been announced for that country.

Hero BLOB
09-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Could you link me to that thread? I've been looking around and I can't find it. I'd like to see the discussion there!

MarcFBR
09-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Could you link me to that thread? I've been looking around and I can't find it. I'd like to see the discussion there!

http://withthewill.net/threads/16454-Additional-tri-Part-1-Dub-Screenings

Shikou
10-01-2016, 10:50 PM
I caught the extra screenings with my big bro. Even though I already watched the Japanese version hearing the dub made it brand new again. I understood the film a lot better now than I did when I first watched it [in Japanese] with the context of the already released 3 films in Japan. I loved the script they wrote for the film as well, I hope they keep the same script writer for the remaining 5 movies. I liked how very close they were to the original Japanese version with the exception to the already established localized names. We both enjoyed it very much it was like reliving our childhood all over again. It was pretty nostalgic because we actually watched the Digimon movie back in the day as well.

THe theater was pretty small. Only show 1 movie for the whole day and the same one for a certain amount of days. They gave us a poster with an illustration of Tai and Agumon holding American flags. My bro commented saying "Wha? They gave Agumon thumbs?" (I dont blame him, the way it was drawn and positioned it looks like he has a thumb lol). There were only about 8 people at the theater including my brother and I. Everyone Aww'D when Agumon and Tai hugged each other and a girl in front of me looked like she was fangirling when Angelmon showed up on screen.

I was pretty skeptical about Vic voicing Matt but I like his delivery. I also like the new voices for TK and Kari. My brother was disappointed that they didn't announce their attacks. He was waiting to hear Agumon say "Pepper Breath" again when he first showed up and said he didn't like how Kuwagamon sounded like the T-Rex from the first Jurassic Park film (it's literally the same sound effect). As for me though, I couldn't stop smiling and refrain myself from losing my mind out of nostalgia with most of the old voice actors back. I do feel the dub song is a lot better than what we heard in the trailer. I'd buy it off iTunes or wherever if it ever gets released.

I very much enjoyed the dub. I hope they announce a home release soon for America. I'd buy 10 copies!