PDA

View Full Version : Digimon Adventure Tri Abridged.

Spongebond
02-06-2016, 02:45 PM
So I found this, and it was amazing and funny. I was expecting some sub par quality mics,jokes and references but for the most part it was really really really good. If you like Abridged series give this a shot. They mix the dub and the sub so well here. Heck they even play Tai's moral dilemma better here than in the actual movie xD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J7KStYleiI

MarcFBR
02-06-2016, 03:09 PM
My view on abridged series is roughly...

There are only 2 abridged series that people in general seem to agree are good, and even those aren't really clever or interesting once you get 5 minutes past the concept of 'haha, it's the show... but with jokes thrown in!'

And it makes me cringe when people try and suggest they've somehow outdone the real show in some way, especially when it's based on not understanding the original content.

Unknown Neo
02-07-2016, 10:01 AM
These are really hard to get right. You have DBZ and Yugioh. Then some minor successes. But hey, maybe who did this could do the other series too. that might be better. ...I might rather watch Yuigoh Abridged instead of the actual first series. But I've seen that a lot so maybe that's way.

Digi-Goddess92
02-07-2016, 10:43 AM
That was actually pretty funny!, thanks for sharing it! :)

Kataphrut
04-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Only just got around to watching this (Team Four Star's latest video put me in the mood for it) and on the whole I really liked it. The jokes mostly landed, the voice acting was solid, and it pulled off the merger of tri music with the Digimon Movie soundtrack surprisingly well. My only issue is it seems to be stuck between a Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged-style 4th wall breaking piss-take and a Dragon ball Z Abridged-style comedic retelling that plays the drama surprisingly straight. So you have all these references to dub changes coming out of TK and Izzy hamming it up with every line, but then it gets to the ferris wheel scene and the Alphamon v Omegamon fight and suddenly it feels like you could be watching a legit English dub.

Also, nice job predicting the business with Meicoomon and Maki before part 2 had come out.

RestInPain
04-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Yeah. I saw that video sometime on the first day it came out in December. I'm waiting for episode two. I thought that shit was hilarious. Enough to become an official dub lol. But one thing i dont understand is why is a lot of people comparing some abridged series to team four stars works? Has TFS set a standard for abridging? I always think LordQuadros who did Metal Gear solid 1+2 abridged set the standard.

humon
04-02-2016, 05:40 PM
IMO, the jokes mesh really well with the serious story beats (and the whole Takeru/TK Koushiro/Izzy thing works remarkably well, considering the dub names were treated as nicknames).

But then again, I grew up on the original English dub, which was basically an abridged series in its own right.

LotusRose
04-03-2016, 05:03 AM
Heh, that was pretty good.
Also, gotta say I actually like the new Child > Adult evolution sequences more the way they've cut them. Always thought the bit with the egg in the air seemed awkwardly long.

Imperial
04-16-2016, 08:25 AM
And. Part. 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrcH76-Mh8
Enjoy!

Mischief_Managed
04-16-2016, 08:47 AM
Oh my god, this is so good! I love this kind of stuff xD

Kataphrut
04-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Pretty good episode, maybe not quite as good as the first. Some of the running gags are getting kind of arbitrary, like Leomon being called "Leomeow" or everyone bagging on Togemon. As usual the best lines went to Izzy, but this exchange between Tai and Matt was perfect:

Tai: Hey Matt
Matt: Hey Tai
Tai: What's that supposed to mean?

LotusRose
04-19-2016, 05:39 PM
That Tai and Matt bit was hilarious haha.

I also liked the gasping when Joe and Mimi were having their deep conversation.

Yeah I don't really get the Togemon bashing. She seems to have about as much of a success rate as anyone else who isn't of the Greymon or Garurumon family.

Vice
04-26-2016, 05:49 PM
The second episode seems like it was trying way to hard to be more like a fan dub than an abridged series. If you watch TFS Abridgimon than that's pure comedy, this version just tries to retell the actual story in 30 minutes with a few jokes here and there (most which were not even funny), much like the actual Digimon dubs would do. I also didn't like the fact that the personality's changed from the first, TK wasn't a hipster anymore that poked fun at the cultural differences between the dub and the original, he had some kind of multi personality disorder that had him talking like a wannabe rapper and then he turned into something else later (seemed like they were trying to copy Tai's personality from the second Abridgimon episode or Jaden Yuki from GX abridged), Izzy didn't seem as crazy as he did in the first either, and I liked the more flamboyant valley girl Mimi from the first episode. I also thought it was funny that in the first episode Joe can't join the team because he's busy playing Pokemon, I guess it would've been funnier to me if they had used more of the jokes from the first episode or built a story around some of those jokes, like other abridged series do instead of just trying to create a fan dub and just translating some of the lines from the original or rewriting them so they sound better to English ears. They even tried to translate the conversation that Joe and Mimi had in the original almost word for word. I watch abridged series like TFS so I can laugh not to watch a fan dub. The first episode was decent it made fun of itself, the second was not.

On a positive note I thought Gomamon's voice was just the cutest thing ever!!!

Kataphrut
05-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Rewatching the two, I've realised what bothers me about the series thus far, and it's that it's torn between a DBZ Abridged style transformative work and an Abridgimon style silly buggers series. The two absolute worst bits in tri abridged for me are Matt referencing Digimon Adventure episode 36 by name in part 1 and Joe giving a spiel about his crest being sincerity, not reliability lol english dub lol in the middle of the fight with Imperialdramon. That's because they're both silly bugger jokes that come in the middle of otherwise serious scenes. Unlike the poster above, I'd prefer if they came down on the DBZA style, because there's potential for a really strong series here. Stuff like the conversation on the ferris wheel and Kari's talk with Joe are proof of that. But it's never going to be as good as it can be if they keep undermining the dramatic scenes with cheap jokes. Because that's just it; fourth wall references and jabs at the dub are cheap and not funny.

On another note, this series needs to work out it's attitude to the English dub and stick to it. At first I figured they were going full-bore dub terminology since they use English names for all the characters and the joke of TK's character in part 1 seemed to be taking the piss out of purist weaboos. But then there's stuff like the afore-mentioned crest lecture and Izzy correcting himself on Omegamon's name and now I'm not sure. The inconsistency is annoying, especially since again it happens in dramatic scenes. Speaking of, why is Omegamon the only one that keeps this Japanese name? I guess it's to set up the "Alphamon and the Omegamon" line, but surely an abridged series could get better mileage out of using the English name and referencing how the thematic makes no sense. Because if tri gets an official English dub, chances are they're going to use "Omnimon" and the opportunity will be lost.

CoDL
06-25-2016, 10:43 PM
Not sure if this would warrant a different thread but hey guess what:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TSdLfD1ksY
The same people are abridging Adventure. Pretty good so far.

Tsurugi
07-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Ironic that Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged was mentioned in a previous post, because the guy making these, BlazingAzureCrow, was Yusei in LittleKuriboh's Bonds Beyond Time Abrigded. Personally I like these series more than what TeamFourStar has done with Abridgimon after ShadyVox's pilot, but I agree that some jokes missed their mark, which for me were the Pokemon jokes and times TK used the Japanese names. Other than those, these abridged series are pretty alright. Comedy's subjective and not everyone will find certain jokes funny, but I think what Project Mouthwash have here is more good than bad.

AmEv7Fam
07-22-2016, 05:19 PM
Not sure if this would warrant a different thread but hey guess what:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TSdLfD1ksY
The same people are abridging Adventure. Pretty good so far.

And they've released Episode 2.

LotusRose
07-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Seems it's been deleted due to copyright. Hopefully they'll upload it elsewhere... Youtube isn't great for parodies and reviews.

Tsurugi
07-28-2016, 04:33 AM
They've uploaded it, as well as some of their other content, bordered on their other channel, Behind BSA, and are currently disputing the copyright strikes. You can find their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/ProjectMouthwash/

EDIT: Also, for anyone interested, the people at GeekPr0n had an interview with BlazingAzureCrow regarding Tri and abridging: http://www.geekpr0n.com/the-art-of-abridging-logan-laidlaw-digimon-tri/

Tsurugi
08-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Update for those interested- they have the channel back up and they've released Episode 3 of Adventure Abridged:
https://youtu.be/nZUCXKbueIk

Spongebond
08-12-2016, 01:47 AM
It's getting stale imo. The movies at least try and add story well these episodes. Especially the new one is just filled with jokes etc.

ShindoW
08-22-2016, 01:41 AM
I didn't care for their Tri dub much, but the series is pretty good. Just hope they finish it unlike every other abridged Digimon series x.x They never seem to get very far.

Jay Ukyou
09-15-2016, 05:17 PM
I'm personally feeling extremely positive about both episodes of their Abridged Tri. Pretty much all of their jokes landed and felt like they would fit right in with how the actual anime's dub tended to do things. I especially cracked up at the rivalry between the news anchors.

The serious bits tended to work pretty well for me too. It was all played sort of tongue-in-cheek, but the whole drama with Mimi worrying about how she should act to really be helpful for her friends actually came across much more clearly in this abridged version than it did in the actual movie itself. The brick joke where she kept repeating "I'm the LOUDEST!" had an excellent payoff in a serious moment just due the nature of Mimi's character (and the voice actress's amazing work!). Also, this abridged show has done more to make me like Meiko than anything in the actual movies.

It's not perfect or anything, and the work obviously can't stand on its own - the original anime and movies had to exist for this kind of referential humor to work. But for what it is, it's a damn good abridged series and I'm shocked at all the negative reactions honestly.

Velocifaptor
11-28-2016, 01:52 AM
Aaaaand they've done Kokuhaku. The editing on this one is next-level. They've managed to turn something so heartbreaking into something so funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0WJ42F_QRk

Spongebond
11-28-2016, 10:15 PM
The Dub theme song when they got sent back was awesome!

Kataphrut
01-07-2017, 06:43 AM
Much like the source material, part 3 is the best yet. The jokes land, the characterisation and voice acting is solid (though mic quality seems to vary in places) and they're proving they can do legit action and drama as well as parody almost on par with TFS. Also, they're not screwing around with the shipping stuff any more, are they? What are you going to tell Tentomon, Izzy and Mimi?

Favourite bit? Gabumon being the only one not to spill the beans about the reboot and the resulting brick joke with Matt. Second favourite bit? Everything about catty journo Homeostasis.

Jay Ukyou
01-07-2017, 06:55 AM
I loved this entry into the abridged series too, but mostly I just really want to see more of the feuding reporters. I hope they start showing up in all of BAC's works.

C-MC
01-07-2017, 07:34 AM
I loved this entry into the abridged series too, but mostly I just really want to see more of the feuding reporters. I hope they start showing up in all of BAC's works.who would you pick Cindy or Belinda ;)

Jay Ukyou
01-08-2017, 02:15 AM
In the immortal words of Koushirou Izumi, "Fuck you Cindy, I like Belinda better!"