PDA

View Full Version : Digimon Style Game Development Project (download update 2/13/08)

AncientWisemon
12-28-2006, 08:48 AM
I am a professor at New Jersey Institute of Technology.
This summer my students and I are going to build a game from scratch. Being the Digmon fan that I am, I have challenged them to make a Digimon-style game. This game will not be Digimon, but one that will look and feel very close.

The Game will have these guidelines for development:
- Digimon Style (Evolutions, elementals, 5 stages of evolution)
- No Tamers, you ARE the monster.
- Skill Based character advancement (no xp, no levels. Use a skill, it gets stronger. Use a strength based skill, strength gets stronger too)
- On-Line support (battle head to head, plus other styles of play (CTF, DotA, Deathmatch, Co-Op)
- Active Combat System (not a turn-based game like FF or Digimon Story. See the Star Ocean Series or Tales of Symphonia for examples)
- Cross platform (PC, MAC, Linux, BSD, etc)
- 2D sprite based graphics (easy to create new sprites, supports standard file types (PNG, BMP)
- Controller Support
- Expandable (map and character editors will be developed so non-programmers can add to the game)
- Full explorable world - Different areas will influence elemental experience, offer different quest, have world based challenges (to be overcomewith abilities)
- Karma / Honor based - The actions of the character will determine Holy / Dark alignment, not just which types of monsters killed.
- Factions - There will be different "factions" or groups with different goals. These factions will give quests depending on player's actions. (ie: Do Good, get offered good quests, Do Evil, get offered Evil Quests. Be Balanced and be offerred neutral quests) You may make yourself an enemy of a faction.

My question to the WtW-X community is: Given the guidelines, what would you like to see in a Digimon-esque game?
Please no "Put ***-mon in the game!".

jfred
12-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Well, it should have connection to some kind of device via USB. Smartphones, Game Boys, anything.

AncientWisemon
12-28-2006, 01:06 PM
hopefully we will have access to the development kit for the DS, PSP and Wii by the summer. Eitehr way the goal is to remain as cross-platform compatible as possible.

jfred
12-29-2006, 10:31 AM
hopefully we will have access to the development kit for the DS, PSP and Wii by the summer.* Eitehr way the goal is to remain as cross-platform compatible as possible.

Wow! That'll be amazing! Now I'm just wondering... is it possible to make a DS and PSP communicate with each other? I'm guessing you'd just have to make the DS use its Wi-fi instead of its normal local connection. PSP could connect to the DS and the Wii... that would be a first.

So will there be any online components? Online battling would be nice, but you'd probably have to set it up so that you don't have to run a server. That's extremely costly, and if the game doesn't go well, it could be a huge problem.

Oh yeah, one more thing... this is going to be a commercial game, right? Hopefully it's not labeled as another Pokemon rip-off like Digimon was. I like the idea that it's inspired by Digimon, but most people seem to dismiss things if they're too similar to others. Don't make it too similar to Digimon, ok?

Flarg
12-29-2006, 10:35 AM
hopefully we will have access to the development kit for the DS, PSP and Wii by the summer. Eitehr way the goal is to remain as cross-platform compatible as possible.

Wow! That'll be amazing! Now I'm just wondering... is it possible to make a DS and PSP communicate with each other? I'm guessing you'd just have to make the DS use its Wi-fi instead of its normal local connection. PSP could connect to the DS and the Wii... that would be a first.

So will there be any online components? Online battling would be nice, but you'd probably have to set it up so that you don't have to run a server. That's extremely costly, and if the game doesn't go well, it could be a huge problem.

Oh yeah, one more thing... this is going to be a commercial game, right? Hopefully it's not labeled as another Pokemon rip-off like Digimon was. I like the idea that it's inspired by Digimon, but most people seem to dismiss things if they're too similar to others. Don't make it too similar to Digimon, ok?

He clearly says that it will have online play, learn to read DotAgumon

jfred
12-29-2006, 11:05 AM
hopefully we will have access to the development kit for the DS, PSP and Wii by the summer.* Eitehr way the goal is to remain as cross-platform compatible as possible.

Wow!* That'll be amazing!* Now I'm just wondering... is it possible to make a DS and PSP communicate with each other?* I'm guessing you'd just have to make the DS use its Wi-fi instead of its normal local connection.* PSP could connect to the DS and the Wii... that would be a first.

So will there be any online components?* Online battling would be nice, but you'd probably have to set it up so that you don't have to run a server.* That's extremely costly, and if the game doesn't go well, it could be a huge problem.

Oh yeah, one more thing... this is going to be a commercial game, right?* Hopefully it's not labeled as another Pokemon rip-off like Digimon was.* I like the idea that it's inspired by Digimon, but most people seem to dismiss things if they're too similar to others.* Don't make it too similar to Digimon, ok?

He clearly says that it will have online play, learn to read DotAgumon

Sorry, I missed that part. :-[

Well, how will the online play be set up? Are you going to run a server, or will the computers/consoles connect directly to each other? I think a server would be the preferred method, but that may not be cost-effective.

demoneater
12-29-2006, 04:33 PM
do u get starters in the project

AncientWisemon
12-30-2006, 07:18 PM
first thing:

I do not yet have the dev kits for the DS or the PSP. Either way, we have no plan to sell the game, so it will not be produced as a DS or PSP title. In order to play the game on the DS or PSP you would need a flash card (DS) or lots of headaches (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/)in order to play the game on the hardware.

Second thing:
As far as the networking protocol, don't worry about the details. That will be worked out by the development team.
Also, this game will not be a MMO. We have no plans (nor funds or ability) to support that kind of a service.

Let me ask this question:
What would be best : Selecting which form your monster evolves into or having it done automatically based on preset conditions?
Example: In Digimon World DS when Antylamon reaches the right experience levels you choose whether to evolve it into cherubimom(evil) or cherubimon (good). That would be choosing the form.
Another possibility would be that as soon as the appropriate conditions are met he is automatically evolved into cherubimon(good, if high Holy) or cherubimon (evil, if high dark exp).
Which do prefer? Which do you think would encourage more people to play? Which would encourage replayability?

gerjomarty
12-30-2006, 07:38 PM
I like the idea of evolution being dependent on environmental factors, like the type of area the monster fights in the most, perhaps the type of monsters they fight could influence the type of evolution. This as a side factor to the dark/light affecting the evolution would create a bit of randomness to the outside player, encouraging playability, and it would enable the hardcore players to directly influence the way their monster evolves by selectively choosing the area to battle on or which side to take.

Nice idea for a project, by the way. Looking very good at the moment.

NTAtai
12-31-2006, 04:02 AM
Another possibility would be that as soon as the appropriate conditions are met he is automatically evolved into cherubimon(good, if high Holy) or cherubimon (evil, if high dark exp).

That one. Otherwise you would have a good digimon that is in it's evil form.

Ichida
01-04-2007, 06:31 PM
That idea would sort of force replayability, if someone doesn't get the evolution they want.

aribalt
01-04-2007, 07:01 PM

Yes the ds and the psp can communicate. I have only seen one homebrew game that uses this though and it was only tic-tac-toe.

AncientWisemon
01-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Thank you for your insights. Once full development starts I will post development artwork and demos as they become available. As with almost all college level game projects, this may end up being only half way complete once it is done, but I will share whatever we get done with the community.

Stryke107
01-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Cool. Although it's a bit late, try to use the karma subject for something like good/bad mode. For example; Guilmon will go to Chaosdukemon or normal dukemon depending on Karma. That's my input...

frogjitsu
03-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Let me ask this question:
What would be best : Selecting which form your monster evolves into or having it done automatically based on preset conditions?
Example: In Digimon World DS when Antylamon reaches the right experience levels you choose whether to evolve it into cherubimom(evil) or cherubimon (good). That would be choosing the form.
Which do prefer? Which do you think would encourage more people to play? Which would encourage replayability?

Or you can do a mixture of both. I'll use a digimon, Angewomon, as an example. Say your "holy" attribute is higher than the "dark" one, then you could have the player choose between Maqnadramon or Ophanimon. If the "dark" attribute is higher, then the person could choose between Lilithmon, and Darkdramon. That way, the user gets some customization, but the digivolution lines that they are allowed to choose from depend on there stats.

AncientWisemon
03-09-2007, 09:11 AM
I like that frogitsu,
The choices you make during the game will limit the choices you CAN make in the future.

Update:
This project has the green light. We will begin development of the project in late may.

BTW:
The game being developed is NOT going to be digimon, but we are going to be using standard development methods and we will be creating the tools to go along with adding new content. We will be using a method called 3D on 2D (or vice versa) where we will be making all the graphics with 3D models, but then creating 2D sprites from the 3D model. So if anyone down the road (after we release the game open source) wishes to make it a digimon clone, then that will be a possibility for the community.
If you are interested in doing some 3D work like that in the future, check out blender at http://www.blender3d.org

NTAtai
03-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I can't wait to see the finished project.

What features are you planing to put in the game?

AncientWisemon
03-10-2007, 06:56 PM
here is the basic idea:

start off by picking a race from the 5 initial:
- Rodent
- Lizard
- Plant
- Insect
- Bird

then pick an evolutionary aspect (again 5 to start with) to evolve toward:
- Humanoid (BanchouLeomon for example)
- Beast (SaberLeomon)
- Techno-organic (GigaSeadramon)
- Mecha (metalgarurumon)
- Spiritual (Cherubimon)

You play in a Golden Sun (GBA) like world with puzzles and towns and quests.
As you play you will be influenced with elements (Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Lightning) and the choices you make (monsters you attack, quests you accept, etc) will effect your karma.

Your elemental weights and spiritual alignments will be weighed when you attain the conditions need to progress to the next stage.

The game will be a skill based system, not XP. Use a skill and get stronger in it. Challenges are going to be designed to have more than one way through it (Break rock open, dig under it, climb over it, or fly over it)depending on your available skills (and levels in those skills).

Small plot then sand box style of play.

NTAtai
03-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Wow, sounds awesome. I can't wait to see some screenshots. And the game itself, of course ^_^

AncientWisemon
04-26-2007, 09:00 AM
This project has the green light. The team is almost done being assembled. I will be putting my best students on the project from my 3D modeling classes, game programming classes and our music production classes. We begin production in 2 weeks (after finals). I will post links to concept art as it gets scanned as well as graphics and builds as they become available.
Our initial game is intended to be Personal Computer Based with Windows, Mac and Linux clients available. Once we get the game done we will look about how possible it is to port to the DS and PSP.
If you would like to read some of the concepts and plans (all tentative and rough) you can view the documents here:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/documents/
Note that they are all in OpenOffice or Open Document format. You may need to download openoffice or abiword to read them. No, I will not save them as doc's.

BladeSabre
04-27-2007, 09:37 AM
I was willing to download AbiWord and the required import plugins because it looks like a decent piece of software (I have a strong dislike for OpenOffice)... but then I saw they are just text files with some styled headings and bullet points. I really don't see the need to use such an obscure file format for that. Saving them as RTF or HTML or even plaintext would make them far more accessible.

EDIT: OK, maybe you're not trying to attract the maximum amount of attention, and letting us read the stuff at all is meant to be a favour to us, I'm not sure from reading your post... no offence meant, anyway.

AncientWisemon
04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I personally Loathe M$ office and prefer to support open standards (like odt). I just let you guys see what I was doing.
Also here is some of the preliminary graphics work we're doing:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/nevo_emblems.jpg

These icons represent the 5 primary and 5 secondary elements in the game, plus the 3 alignments you can follow. Note this is still in the development stages.

Stryke107
04-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Wow, this looks like it will be really cool... Will we get a full version, if one is ever released?

AncientWisemon
04-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Once it is playable I will post links for the downloads.

AncientWisemon
05-01-2007, 12:37 PM
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/attributes.jpg
The basic attributes for the characters in the game. From left to right top to bottom:
Strength, Agility, Intelligence
Endurance, Dexterity, Power
Health, Stamina , Energy

The bottom three are a function of the ones directly above them.

Check these Desktop Wallpapers out.
I am not putting them in the forum.. they are too big: 1280x1045
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/Water_Desktop.png
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/Fire_Desktop.png
feedback is appreciated.

AncientWisemon
05-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Although not as pretty as my last few posts, you might find this interesting:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/documents/combat%20specs.doc
It is some of our plans for the combat system.
new update:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/ReferencePics/final_lizard_humon_base.png

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/ReferencePics/final_lizard_humon_base2.png
Inspired by dukemon,imperialdramon, cyberdramon, paildramon and various gundam models.
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/final_humon_lizard.gif

DtLeader
05-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Very interesting. What if you had certain items or foods that will change your creature? Lets say you have an Earth Mushroom and your creature eats it. It could add to its Earth attributes. Also, I think it would be a fairly good idea if you borrowed some ideas from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Your character could have its own little hut, or house, depending on the type of creature chosen in the beginning. And what if you made it with a PvP setting that allows you to attack NPCs. That way, if you randomly kill NPCs, you would start to lean towards the Dark alignment, whereas if you did good deeds and killed monsters attacking a town, you would lean towards the Good alignment.

But very nice! Your project could acually make some money. What if you sent this to Nintendo? They could distribute it as a real game. But that is not my say so at all, that is your choice.

Kruegera
05-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Very interesting. What if you had certain items or foods that will change your creature? Lets say you have an Earth Mushroom and your creature its it. It could add to its Earth attributes. Also, I think it would be a fairly good idea if you borrowed some ideas from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Your character could have its own little hut, or house, depending on the type of creature chosen in the beginning. And what if you made it with a PvP setting that allows you to attack NPCs. That way, if you randomly kill NPCs, you would start to lean towards the Dark alignment, whereas if you did good deeds and killed monsters attacking a town, you would lean towards the Good alignment.

But very nice! Your project could acually make some money. What if you sent this to Nintendo? They could distribute it as a real game. But that is not my say so at all, that is your choice.

Woah, big thoughts there... I don't think this is a massive RPG, I think it's more of a virtual pet type thing... Is it? (EDIT: Never mind, reread everything. ^^;)

Meh, anyway. This is a great idea(as if that hasn't been said several times already) and I hope you see it through to the end. Many a good-sounding project has been abandoned because of neglect.

Betterthanumon
05-19-2007, 08:49 PM
The game sounds great and I really hope it turns out good. when It's finished would it be something we could download on to our comps or will it be a huge file that couldn't be installed without a disk.

edit- sorry didn't see that

Kruegera
05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
The game sounds great and I really hope it turns out good. when It's finished would it be something we could download on to our comps or will it be a huge file that couldn't be installed without a disk.

He said he'd put up a download when it was done, so I assume it'll be downloadable.

Grave
05-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Very nice~~ I plan to work on a game myself as a project sometime.

Although I either have to buy Games Factory or learn how to make characters even move and shoot in eight directions in Game Maker (It'll be kind of like a Shooting RPG)

AncientWisemon
05-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I have 7 of my best students dedicated to this project for the summer, so I am hopeful that we will get SOMETHING done enough to play.
Good luck with your game development efforts. Thats what got me into computer science in the first place.

Pamizard
05-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow that is so cool. I'm from New Jersey. Good luck on your project

Andrewmon
05-23-2007, 05:55 PM
dude, those are some awesome charactor designs

AncientWisemon
05-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Thank you,
Check these out:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/ReferencePics/angel_dragon.png
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/ReferencePics/angel_dragon2.png
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/ReferencePics/wing/

These are concept art for the final Angelic evolution of the lizard-humon line.

Andrewmon
05-26-2007, 05:05 PM
i like the first one out of those 2

AncientWisemon
05-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Here is the model from the concept art above:
http://www.boonani.com/workingproject/Nanotech%20Evolution/concept%20art/Alashanti_Angel.png
again, its a WIP.

Betterthanumon
05-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow thats awesome, I can't wait to see what you make next. it would be awesome to take one of your classes, I even live in NJ but I'm far from the age to go to callage.

Andrewmon
06-02-2007, 02:02 AM
wow that is amazing. this game is going to be awesome

AncientWisemon
06-02-2007, 12:11 PM
a sample of the ready animation for the adult level lizard humonoid.
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/Alashanti_Adult.gifhttp://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/Alashanti_Adult_4.gif

Daemon
06-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Wow this is just amazing... tell your students that they have a good future ahead of them and you get bonus points for this being able to run on a mac.

AncientWisemon
06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Well I guess they will get bonus points then. We are going to release it simultaneously for Linux, Windows and MAC.
Small update:
The map system is making good progress.
The combat system will be playable in a week.
We have 6 player models made so far (my students aren't quite as good as the models I showed off).
and we have managed to integrate 3d graphics and 2d graphics together.
Pics will come soon.

NTAtai
06-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow, sounds like your making great progress. I can't wait till it's finished.

AncientWisemon
06-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Probably in a month or two when it nears completion we may hold beta testing if anyone is interested, but don't hold your breath. It will be a while before we have anything playable. We are concurrently developing the combat system / graphics engine / world system AND the massive amount of graphics needed for this with only a team of 6 students and me. While my time is divided among this project, a ninja/samurai quake4 TC AND a full time job AND my wife ;D

This just in:

A test of our in-game rendering using my dorumon as a test:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5044/screencap1en2.png

NTAtai
06-21-2007, 05:30 PM
That looks great!

Also I would definitely like to beta test if thats okay!

AncientWisemon
06-22-2007, 10:12 AM
I will keep you posted when we have a beta ready Taisuru.

Here is another character I made.
The teen level Lizard with spirit growth aspect:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/lizard_teen_spirit.gif

Kruegera
06-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Ooh, ooh! Make a fox one! Make a fox one! : D

Naw, just kidding. It looks good so far, but I suppose you don't need me to tell you that. Keep up the development, and let's hope things come together as you plan.

AncientWisemon
06-27-2007, 05:07 PM
And here are some sound bites to take a peek at:
http://boonani.com/workingproject/Nanotech%20Evolution/audio/Crystal%20Caverns.ogg
http://boonani.com/workingproject/Nanotech%20Evolution/audio/BattleScene.ogg
http://boonani.com/workingproject/Nanotech%20Evolution/audio/EnchantedVillage.ogg
http://boonani.com/workingproject/Nanotech%20Evolution/audio/Smooth.ogg
They are all in ogg format (since some a-hole owns mp3 and charges for its use) so if you don't have something that can play ogg, you will need to download a player for your OS.
They were all made by one of my students and should be considered a work in progress.
Praise will always be accepted of course.

AAND some new character art from one of my students:
http://web.njit.edu/~jjd25/teen-techorgo-alashanti.jpg
http://web.njit.edu/~jjd25/teen-techorgo-alashanti-strongattk.gifhttp://web.njit.edu/~jjd25/teen-techorgo-alashanti-specattk1.gif
http://web.njit.edu/~jjd25/teen-techorgo-alashanti-specattk2.gifhttp://web.njit.edu/~jjd25/teen-techorgo-alashanti-death2.gif
More to come.

NTAtai
07-04-2007, 01:25 PM
I find the tail attack amusing XD

Yet again, great work.

AncientWisemon
07-05-2007, 10:20 PM
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/shadow_dragon.jpg

NTAtai
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree... with everything that picture represents...

VERY nice work Wisemon.

MugenSeiRyuu
07-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Those are some kickass Dragons. ( And I´m not complaining about there "being no Females in this Game". Those are Dragons and Sex does not matter for them anyways. Sex only affects the appearence of HUMANOIDS )

MarcFBR
07-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Looks nice.

AncientWisemon
08-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Well it looks like this game isn't nearly as far along as I had hoped, but it doing about what I expected. The game should be functional in the next few weeks, but my artists kinda bailed on me.
I am going to go ahead and ask if anyone out there with any 3d modeling experience would be interested in helping out with this project?

Mugen : Gender won't come up anyway regardless of species.

MugenSeiRyuu
08-16-2007, 07:13 AM
I know. I mentioned it countering something someone in a certain Thread said about me.

AncientWisemon
11-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Well, time marches on. My students are all involved with various projects and upcoming graduations. With that in mind a few have voiced a need for some additional courses.
This time I will be making the project much smaller in scope...
I will be making the same game, but as a Desktop Virtual Pet. The stats for that pet will be everything needed for the full game and I hope to be able to make it compatible.
In the mean time, here is a screen shot of the testbed in action using my dorumon as the test monster:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/screen0.bmp

One more thing:
For the digimon fans I may be willing to provide a SDK so that the game can be modified to be a digimon game. The game is pretty limitless with what I plan to implement so it will work completely with the way digimon evolve. If someone wanted to they could even make this the battle royal between all of the monster games. Just imagine.....
Neo Digital Pocket Dragonquest Monster Rancher
Your slime could evolve to Mochi who evolves to pikachu who evolves to elecmon to boltmon......

frogjitsu
11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Looks pretty good. It's good to see you haven't given up on the project. Keep up the good work.

AncientWisemon
11-19-2007, 04:10 PM
not at all.

The last few weeks I have been doing a ton of development for it.
Location editing & Monster editing are now handled through config files (while developing).
Exploring and changing locations works.
Right now I got it so that basic care functions work, feeding and sleeping.
working on skills & combat next.
Then its networking and then the game is pretty much done save for the 4 metric tons of content that is needed.

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/screens/screen1.png http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/screens/screen2.png

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/screens/screen3.png http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/screens/screen4.png

lukie99
11-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I really wish I could help :(
But I can't.
This seems like a cool idea, just the textures need a bit of reworking (It seems kind of shiny). I hope those are just beta textures :)

I took Autocad last year, thinking I'd be able to create some awesome smooth, round objects (I would think that'd be complicated; making somethhing smooth) but seeing as my teacher assigned us only 2 projects, make a house, it was very dull and I wasn't interested. I passed with an 84, but I could have gotten probably 90 if they motivated us more. Which they didn't so I basically gave up my dream on modelling. Whenever I see someone post their models, it kind of depresses me. I taught myself how to use Photoshop but that was kind of back in elementary, where I took the time to do these things. With thinking about University, or college, having a part time job, driving, and just school as a whole, it's kind of depressing that I'm not able to teach myself something that'd benefit me personally.

AncientWisemon
11-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Here it is,
The EXTREME alpha version.
Included are the executables for linux and windows.

If you would like to help me with some bug checking, I would appreciate it.

Here are the KNOWN bugs:
random crash when an encounter happens or when a monster runs.
The main menu is a little tempermental.
No matter what attack is chosen, its the same effect (extreme alpha remember).
Link is not available yet, it will be the networking options.
Training is not available yet even though you can find training exercises with search.
The most bad ass monster is really weak right now. It will be addressed.
There are only 3 monsters from 1 egg. Again, extreme alpha.
there are only 4 areas to travel to even though 16 are in the areas directory..."
ALL ARTWORK IS TESTING, including menus and icons.
No music or sounds. This is on purpose. If anyone has ever had to work on a game before then you will know how quickly the music and sound effects get old while you are testing.

Here it is now:

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/Nanotech%20VP%200.01a.zip

Have fun.

Master-Element
11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Sweet, I'll try it, and tell what results I get. I'm impressed though, I forget what did you use to make it again?
[Edit] it says fail to start because SDL.dll was not found, is something missing or am I not doing it right?

AncientWisemon
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
OH CRAP.
I forgot about that. The windows version needs run time DLL's. I'll repackage in a sec.
Thanks DigiBrigade!

ok, hopefully this has all of the DLL's needed for windows.

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/Nanotech%20VP%200.01a.zip

To answer your question, I used SDL (www.libsdl.org) and standard C to write the game. So this is one programmed pretty much from scratch.
I have been using blender to make the graphics.

-AWM

Captain Darth Jack Vader
11-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Kay, how long does it take the egg to hatch?

AncientWisemon
11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Funny thing about that.

If you have crappy egg, it may never hatch.
RIght now the egg can only evolve into 1 of two possible forms
each form requires a minimum of strength or agility. If your stats are aweful, restart. Ultimately when I have more forms to choose from and the ability to effect the stats of the egg that will be fixed. I would also like to add a catch-all evolution line in the spirit of numemon.

The egg should hatch after it reaches age 1 (about 5 minutes I think).

Master-Element
11-27-2007, 12:55 PM
I would like to help you look for bugs, but some parts like battles are kind of hard to tell if there functioning right because I cant tell what they should work like properly, I don't know what I'm looking for.
Also who is that lizard enemy, I know you put up pics of him, is he an actual digimon? If so whats his name? if he has one

AncientWisemon
11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
yeah, you can evolve into him if your first evo is to the lizard and you get high strength after age 5.

A more robust version (still few evo lines) will be available hopefully tomorrow.

[Update:]
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/Nanotech%20VP%200.1a.zip

this new build won't be compatible with older versions.

Whats new:
Egg Care - can now "train" the egg and effects its pre-natal growth. (small bug in the window drawing after the first use. It stull functions though)
Skill Based Training - any skill gained can be used to train with safely out of combat.
Area based training activities- when it says "Found New Activity!" check it out under the training.
Use of skills and training effects elemental resistance and power as well as alignment for EVIL based attacks (non yet)
A new Evo stage that is a catch all after the second year.
Feeding Sprite
Combat calculations reconfigured

Whats been fixed:
A few things that may not be noticable...

Hope you like it.
-AWM

bamrocket
11-28-2007, 09:33 PM
I am a mac user so i can't run this :[ in a final release you said it would be Mac compatible right? But i would like to ask you, i know programming this would be difficult because it's real time graphics editing but i loved the chao gardens of sonic adventure battle 2 that feeding different things not only made his turn into different forms, but after he transformed feeding him different foods changed different parts of him in a small way, like feeding him a bunch of swimming chaos things would make his ears a little longer every time you gave him one. What i mean is you should make it so that you get a guy and lets say he's Medium Height and medium weight, but say you feed him alot of fattening foods and you give him like growth steroids or something crazy, the model of him will become taller and fatter based on how much of those items you fed him.

Chao Examples:http://chao.hippotank.com/sa2/neutral.php

the naming convention there is,
(Good/Evil/Nuetral)/(Main Element)/(Maxed out in one element)

so an example is if you did a Nuetral/Swim/(Swim/Fly, or equal amounts of swimming and flying foods)
he would look like the Nuetral/Swim/Swim combined with the Nuetral/Swim/Fly. It's kind of a hard concept to explain if you didn't play the game i guess. anyway that's my 2 cents, actually this is a long post so like 20 cents.

AncientWisemon
11-29-2007, 08:27 AM
For you Bamrocket, a little Mac love:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/NanoTechVp%20App.zip
This is the same as the windows/linux version. I didn't package them all together since I wasn't sure how much of the mac package was necessary and I didn't want to risk breaking the others. So here it is as separate download. Still have the window bug when you us training on the egg. Its purely cosmetic as fas as I can tell and I will hopefully have it fixed soon.

This next section is sponsored by the professor in me:
Real time graphics editing isn't that much a challenge. In fact its really simple on the programming end since you can do all the graphics editing ahead of time and then render the edits to its own sprite sheet in memory. The challenge comes with putting restrictions on your artists so that the work they do falls within the parameters that you need to get it to look right when you swap in a tail or horns or something. Its actually pretty easy to do that in 3D games (like the chao's). All you need to do as the artist is to specify mount points on your model.

End learning.

The way I intend to do something similar in my game is not necessarily through food (which I also plan), but through the actions that the monster takes. For the elements this is summed up like this: Gain more fire alignment by Using fire based skills, Using fire based training activities, receiving fire based damage, spending time in fire based areas (eating hot foods?). With a lot of fire alignment your monster will most likely evolve to the fire themed version of itself the next time it evolves. This is also true for the Growth aspects. If you are a beast, but keep getting hit with humanoid style attacks, keep using humanoid type skills and eating humanoid(s) type food; then you have a chance to jump evolution lines over to the humanoid line the next time you evolve.

Again, at least thats the plan.

-AWM

[EDIT] WOOO fixed it. Damned buffer overflow problem.

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/Nanotech%20VP%200.2a.zip

New package has All Win/Lin/Mac programs.
Fixed menu bug (see above)
added defensive skills used in combat.
A few consmetic fixes too.
Egg training bugs fixed

[EDIT] It looks like the Mac app didn't work on my wife's computer, so to avoid frustrations until I can get it working, the mac version has been removed. I also left out things from the zip that not implemented yet (like sounds) to make the DL smaller.

[NEW 12/2/07]

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/Nanotech%20VP%200.25a.zip

New version. Much bug has been fixed.
One whole evolution line has been added.
A bunch of skills have been added.
Training has been improved.
Combat has been tweaked for balance.
UI has been cleaned up alot.

New HUD status bars are:
Health
Stamina
Fatigue (sleepyness)
Satiation (vocab word: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/satiation )

Tensuke
12-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Awesome, can't wait to try it out!
And wow, that server is FAST!

Edit:
It crashes when I go to 'Skills'.

NTAtai
12-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Awesome! This got a release while I was away.

It crashes for me at skills as well.

AncientWisemon
12-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I think I tracked the crashes when you go to skills bug down. I think its due to a mistake in the recompile for windows. Sometime today I will have the fix uploaded. Thanks for the feedback guys.

FIXED!
Redownload the zip. I replaced the .exe with a functioning one. Sorry for the mixup.

on a side note, I got microsoft visual studio to install and run in linux under wine. So I can do my windows porting now.

And for those of you still stuck using windows. Have you tried ubuntu? How about a windows like environment? try www.kubuntu.org.

OK, the linux zealot in my satisfied I won't bother you again about it, at least I will try not to.

Can I get a quick survey of people testing this game. I don't want to artificially inflate this topic, so if you are playing this game, could I get a PM and some feedback? I am interested in impressions, questions and suggestions. If you are confused about something, please post it.

Thanks

the latest addition to the game:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/screens/screen5.png

And these guys too:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/picolop_ready.png http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/cylop_testrender.png

megamonk4
12-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Before I comment on your game AncientWiseman. I want to tell ou that I truly appreciate the hard and precious time you used to make the game.

One glitch I have seen that when you sometimes chose to go to another area, you can't see the picture.

How can you go/activate/do something with an event? Is it just a placeholder for a true event to be happening because nothing happens.

I have the picoken creature. At what day should it evolve(if it has an evolution)?

Is it better to train the skills or to train using the action command?

Will the picoken eventually learn another attack or will it have the same 3 attacks until it evolve?

Thanks in advance. ^_^

AncientWisemon
12-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks megamonk, I appreciate your comment.

I believe I have fixed the glitch with the area pictures not showing up (one time it was the picture of ham).

As you guessed, the events are placeholders for when an event would happen. Some events that are planned : discovering an item (when I implement items), learning a new skill, being faced with a moral dilemma or something funny.

I honestly don't recall if/when the picoken will evolve in that version. Evolution, if it can happen will only happen when the monster ages up and the monster has full health/stamina. I may lower the stamina requirement since it is spent so often.

Whether or not it is better to train with a skill or area based action is going to be a gameplay choice. Right now, they are about even, but in the next release I am going to impliment difficulty levels for the area based actions. You will only gain in attributes when doing a challenging action (success will no longer be guaranteed, but with chances of 'critical' success) Taking part in an activity that is too strong may result in injury.

Learning new skills happens at evolution for now. Events and items will unlock other skills. limited to 8 attacks and 8 defensive/movement skills.

I hope to have the next release available sometime this weekend. Finals are over and now I have a ton of grading to do. What better way to procrastinate than to make a game :)

Here it is:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/Nanotech%20VP%200.26a.zip

I deleted some of the older versions, so some links may now be broken.

New additions:
a ton of new areas to explore
a few new monsters
evolution can now depend on element (fire for lizards, lightning for rabbits) or species (only rabbits can evolve to rabbits)
New sprites for combat effects
Rebalancing of skills.
New ways to train in areas.
Numerous bug fixes.
Here is the basic evo chart:
from Egg:
Picoken (lizard basic)
nanoarken (lizard human basic)
picolop (rabbit basic)
picomup (numemon style)

From child:
Cylop (cyborg rabbit, needs elec and agility)
Arken (Human Lizard, needs fire and strength)
Dorumon (???? good luck)

from teen:
MegaArken (Human lizard, needs lots of fire and strength)

megamonk4
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
No problem. 8)

Can you tell me which symbol is which? I'm kinda confused for what symbol stand for. I can see some obvious symbols such as the 5 primary elements, but what are the other ones?

I keep on getting a picoken, I can't get the nanoarken. What's the difference in training? I'll keep trying to find out, but for now I'll get the rabbit.

Also, if you raise the strength attribute, it also raises the fire element. There must be another element for the lizard humanoids to raise?

EDIT: Okay I just got finished playing w/ the picolop/cylop creature. It's pretty cool. I like the battle graphics for the electric attacks and their slash attacks. It's pretty fast-paced towards evolving but I guess it starts to slow down after becoming teen creature towards adult/ultimate.

AncientWisemon
12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I hope to put together a webpage manual for the game soon, but here are the icons explained:

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/images/attributes.png
from left to right: Strength, Dexterity, Focus, Endurance, Agility, Resistance, Health, Stamina, Satiation (food level)

http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/images/elements.png
from left to right: Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Lightning, Ice, Mist, Light, Nuclear, Thunder, Shadow, Balance, Holy, Satiation (again??)

Its fast paced right now for two reasons: Its in testing speed and there is not much to do yet.

To get the nanoarken you need 15 aglity and 5 air. No, there is no rhyme or reason to it yet.

TO get the picomup you need to not satisfy any other evolution and get to age 5.

coolaidman
12-16-2007, 10:33 AM
just out of curiousity does this work for macs?

AncientWisemon
12-16-2007, 11:46 AM
not at the moment. I will have mac ports more frequently once I work out the kinks of packaging all 3 platforms together. Since the game was programmed to be cross platform portable, it runs in emulation and virtualization perfectly.

Captain Darth Jack Vader
12-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I've had an egg for about fifteen minutes now, it has uge agility, it still won't hatch. Is it because I trained the agility up?

megamonk4
12-16-2007, 02:10 PM
you have to train the element requirements too.

coolaidman
12-16-2007, 03:29 PM
ok cool looking foward to it!

Captain Darth Jack Vader
12-16-2007, 03:42 PM
What elements do I need?

Master-Element
12-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm pretty sure just to get the egg to hatch the element Doesn't matter.

AncientWisemon
12-16-2007, 05:44 PM
A minor update has been posted to the same link.
If you have been playing BACKUP the save director.
Re-unzip it and start it up again and load your old game.
I fixed a minor bug with the mega-arken and added the megacylop. No change to code, so your games will still work once you copy them over.
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/images/megacylop.png

Elements are needed to evolve to everything but the mup, which is the fall back. It takes a while though and needs to be at full health when the age goes up.
I really hope to have basic networked fights working soon.

and then status effects
and then items
and then CONTENT, CONTENT, CONTENT!

Zael
12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Good work on the game so far. It is really nice.

There is currently a minor bug when the mega arken is in one of the grassland areas (forgot which one I am in) and then tries to migrate elsewhere. The program terminates. I have reloaded the program and am still in the grasslands, and if I try to migrate the program terminates again. Seems as though I am unable to leave the grasslands because of it. Only place I have access to right now from the grasslands is the high plains, but searching has yet to reveal another exit to the grasslands for me. The program always terminates after asking if I am sure I want to migrate. Let me know if there is any further information you need from me to help debug this issue.

Awesome work so far though.

AncientWisemon
12-17-2007, 07:52 AM
there should be two text files on the base directory:
stdout.txt and stderr.txt

could you post the out put from that?

Also is it possible to back up your save file savegame.sav and start again? Can you repeat the bug with another monster? This would help me to figure out if the problem is in the monster or area sections of my code.

Thanks for bug report Zael, this is exactly what I am looking to fix. (balance issues later)

[EDIT]:
BWAAAAAAA
I just noticed I made a HUGE typo in the last re-release and the sprite for the cylop is now screwed up in game. It can fixed VERY easily. Once I tackle the above bug I will repackage and upload.

Zael
12-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Unfortunately those two files don't seem to be in the base directory. I went ahead and created the files and ran the bug, and when I did, neither received any input. I backed up the save and am creating a new creature to try and reproduce the bug. I didn't encounter the error last time until I evolved to that level (I had visited the grasslands before on many occasions with the earlier evolutions). I am also going to take my the contents over to my XP machine to try it there just to make sure it is now an isolated case. I'll let you know how that turns out. I don't suspect going from Vista to XP will affect much though.

AncientWisemon
12-18-2007, 01:28 PM
keep me informed, I havn't been able to reproduce the bug you mentioned, but I will keep looking.
thanks

[Update]:
well its just after midnight here and I have finished programming the networking code for combat. Next comes the long process of testing and debugging, of which I am sure there will be a lot. Once I get it stable enough, I will release it. No changes have been made to the actual monster save information, so it should all just work if you back up your saves.

Its all based on TCP/IP and I will not be setting up a dedicated server to organize matches, so it will all have to be set up through PM's or IM's.
The one who wants to host the game will need to find out their net IP address and make sure that the port (right now I am using port 2000) is forwarded to the host's computer if you are behind a router.

Man I hope this works.

[Edit]:nevermind. Nothing is as simple as it seems and I am down to only 1 workable computer, so network testing is out until I get back to work after the new year.

In the mean time, I will focus more on the artwork and content generation and general bug fixes.

Zael
12-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Ok... my baby test slug has evolved into a dorumon now, and I went to the hilly fields again. Did some training, did some searching, tried to leave and had no problem. I am now waiting for it to evolve to the next form to try again with. I also moved the save file to an XP machine and tried to move and the bug still occurred, so it is definitely not related to Vista (didn't really think it would be). Let me know if giving you the save file would help at all, and where I could send it in that event.

Looking forward to the next release,
-Zael-

Update: I just went back to the hilly fields with dorumon, ran, then meditated. The meditation text didn't clear all the way, and now dorumon can no longer migrate; however, when I reloaded the dorumon he reloaded back to the desert. I would guess that when the meditation text doesn't clear all the way the bug is activated. I am about to test again with dorumon, post and test again.

Ok. After some testing it seems as though the bug is closely related to meditating in the hilly fields. It doesn't seem to happen every time, but out of the past 5 times it has run, it has exited three times by running, meditating, and then moving.

AncientWisemon
01-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks Zael,
That really helps me track down where in the code the bug is. I'll get on that today.

This has been added as the final level for the cylop line:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/images/gigacylop_pose.png
There will be variations to show Holy / Shadow / Balance.

Andrewmon
01-03-2008, 11:17 PM
is there an evolution yet for dorumon?

AncientWisemon
01-04-2008, 09:47 AM
At the moment, He's a dead end. I only left him in there as an easter egg, but as I add more monsters to the game, I will make it so he can evolve into something.

I still have not been able to find or reproduce the bug you mentioned, Zael. Its possible I have already patched it, or it may be a symptom of something else. When I get the next version together, please see if your existing save file exhibits the same bug or if you can otherwise reproduce it. Today I am working on fixing the networking code.

Oh and once again, if there are any sprite artists out there that would like to make a Digimon mod to this game, Please DO!

Andrewmon
01-04-2008, 11:33 AM
my cylop just evolved into the megacylop and the sprite keeps splitting and reforming half in the ground

AncientWisemon
01-06-2008, 03:33 PM
this is fixed bug. Back up your save file, and redownload the game. Put your save file back into the new one and restart it should look fine. Its just cosmetic anyway.
Here is another preview of a new monster for the next release:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/graphics/drakta_rendertest.pnghttp://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/images/arkta_testrender.png

This one will replace the dorumon going forward and will be able to evolve further.
If you already have a dorumon, then you will be able to evolve it to the same thing that this evolves into.

Takeru
01-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Wow, this game looks very good! I can't wait till it is completed.

If you need any help, just ask. I can't really do 3D stuff, but I have 3D max and I guess I could try to learn :P

AncientWisemon
01-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Not at the moment takeru, and thanks.

Here is the next evolution of the slime:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/images/dramup.png

Monodramon
01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
ooooo dis is sooooo cool!

AncientWisemon
01-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Working on a new release real soon.
Here is the latest monster in the corral.
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/images/megadramup.png

And here is the latest build:
http://it.njit.edu/kehoed/nevo/Nanotech%20VP%200.26a_2.zip
New things: A bunch of new forms to evolve into
Combat has been rebalanced so 1 damage happens less.
Network code is still off until I can get it to work.
I hope you like it.

CloneWarrior
02-27-2008, 05:11 PM
So, how do you save in this?

Edit: I've tried everything, but the egg won't hatch...

AncientWisemon
02-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Saving happens automatically when you quit.
You need to train up the egg for it to evolve. Otherwise after Age 2 it should evolve into the picomup.
If its still not evolving there may be a bug....