PDA

View Full Version : Forum Question

BlackLightning
12-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but when I view posts punctuations (commas and parentheses) don't show up and are replaced by other symbols. I was wondering if it's something my computer is doing wrong or something. Sorry if I sound clueless.

TMS
12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
If the posts are from a few months ago or earlier, it's because the forum recently changed software and hasn't been able to get the cleaner working yet.

MarcFBR
12-26-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but when I view posts punctuations (commas and parentheses) don't show up and are replaced by other symbols. I was wondering if it's something my computer is doing wrong or something. Sorry if I sound clueless.

The more extended version of TMS' explanation is.

WtW is a very large forum. The way the 'cleaner' works is it looks for what we tell it to, and it converts what we told it to look for, into something new (so the old softwares quote, to the new softwares quote.)

The cleaner as it exists doesn't work in batches though, it tries to do everything in one fell swoop.

The forum is so large, that the conversion ends up timing out and crashing.

We are looking at potential solutions to convert the cleaner to working in a 'batch' mode.

BlackLightning
12-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks! I appreciate you guys explaining things. Now I don't have to throw my computer out the window haha.

MarcFBR
12-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks! I appreciate you guys explaining things. Now I don't have to throw my computer out the window haha.

If it makes you feel better though, since it's only on 'pre current software' posts, as new stuff gets posted, you will be less likely to see the problems if we can't fix them.

jpwong
12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Just want to add to this, if it's your own post, you should be able to just hit edit and re-save the post and it should fix up the punctuation issues on the post. It won't fix broken quotes, but the punctuation should fix itself.