PDA

View Full Version : To Germany!

Kaid115
11-12-2012, 01:15 PM
So, many people on this forum probably don't recognize me because I don't post often, however you may know me by my old forum name on the old digimon.com forum XmetalgarurumonX. So fun fact about me, I like learning languages. This semester I decided to begin to learn German and by god I love the language, well except genders, I abhor the German gender system -_-. I met a guy in college named Georg (pronounced gay-org) and he's helping me learn German by having conversations with him in German. I've actually decided to sign up for a foreign exchange program next summer to Germany because learning it is going so well. I'm so excited and hope i actually get in, but I know nothing about the culture, and well, only know the basics of the language. It will be my first time going out of america, and away from my family so i am also extremely nervous about the whole thing. What do you guys think? Should I hold off till I know more about the language, or the should I still shoot for next summer, I havn't turned in my papers yet.

Ecstaphoric
11-16-2012, 02:27 PM
This is an awesome opportunity! I studied abroad a couple years ago and it was one of the best experiences of my life; you'll definitely have a blast. As long as you're committed to constantly working on your language skill, I don't think you need to postpone going until you're more experienced - I think you'll do just fine now. Immersion is one of the fastest ways to acquire a language afterall. Good luck getting accepted. If you don't get accepted by that particular program, just try another one until you get accepted. XD Going abroad is awesome and learning languages is also awesome.

Py687
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
... Wait a sec, were you the one who made that chart about leveling up MP attacks in Digimon World 4?

My initial thought was that you should do it. But when I think back to the foreign exchange students that came to my high school and the ones at my college, it might be better if you have at least one more year of experience. You don't have to be entirely fluent, but you still need to be able to hold a decent conversation. But, hey, if you're a fast learner and you think you can handle it, go for it.

VanChizzle
11-19-2012, 04:16 PM
I always hated the whole grammatical gender thing when I learned it, but I understand what you mean when you love the language - I always liked the structure to it, and how similar it is to English. It's true that you learn so much quicker by immersing yourself in it too. I thought lots of people there know English as well - probably depends on what place you're going to - so even if you don't know something it might not be a total conversation-killer.

As long as you're going there with an open mind and be a sponge, I think you'll be fine!

By the way you should ask if they still like Digimon over there in Germany. :P

TMS
11-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I know at least a couple Germans do, because they're on the forum. lol

VanChizzle
11-20-2012, 01:36 AM
I see, haha. Always neat to see fans from other countries. It's still popular among fans back in Hong Kong.

KaenKazui
11-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Well, I am from Germany... And at times I still hate this country. Though it still is better then Austria, I guess.

But hey, look at the bright side: The german gender system is not half as confusing, as the french one

Paruseruru mafubu
11-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I've been to Germany twice, Munich and Frankfurt through Lufthansa on route to England. The beer is good there, better than here at home. Hope it is a good experience for you.

Py687
11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, I am from Germany... And at times I still hate this country. Though it still is better then Austria, I guess.

But hey, look at the bright side: The german gender system is not half as confusing, as the french one
How is the French gender system confusing? :o

Though having NO gender system is easiest. :)

Ecstaphoric
11-25-2012, 08:34 AM

How is the French gender system confusing? :o

Though having NO gender system is easiest. :)

Yeah - I didn't think the French gender system was that confusing either, haha. I think German definitely looks more difficult, but I've never seriously studied German. All languages seem to have that one thing or another that's just really confusing for foreigners to learn.