PDA

View Full Version : What's the rationale behind this?

Shining Celebi
07-22-2012, 09:01 AM
I'd been familiar-ish with the no-multimedia policy for a time, but after reading this thread (http://withthewill.net/index.php?topic=17170.0) and this thread (http://withthewill.net/index.php?topic=17157.msg231028#msg231028), and thinking on it a little, I'm mostly just confused.

If it's a question of legality, then we have the Card Terminal, for example, and a whole bunch of stuff that could potentially result in copyright infringement letters. Heck, fanfiction, RPGs, the Digimon profile translations, and fanart all constitute copyright infringement.

On the other hand, there's stuff that's clearly legal that isn't allowed, judging by the fandom linking thread, where links to sites that have links to multimedia aren't allowed. That's legal, so clearly it's not just about legality.

So maybe it's just stuff that historically would result in takedown letters - Toei removes stuff from YouTube all the time, I believe. Links still wouldn't be a problem, but maybe it's to reduce the chances of the linked site getting a takedown for increased visibility or something. On the other hand, scans of a ton of things, like the Next manga, weren't allowed, so that can't quite be it either. Nor does it make sense for it to be based solely on supporting Digimon, because you'd be silly to buy anything you can't read, and the majority of people can't read Japanese.

And then on the whole, it's not really a problem for _user_ content to be occasionally infringing, just take it down when you're asked - probably the only good thing about the DMCA. But these seems exactly backwards from a liability standpoint, since we again have the Card Terminal but user scans of various crap isn't allowed. I believe V-Jump scans aren't allowed, which is really baffling no matter how I think about it.

So what exactly is the rationale behind this rule? How does a person know specifically whether what they're posting will be okay?

Vande
07-22-2012, 09:30 AM
This is based on what I remember and I may not be remembering correctly. It doesn't answer everything as I don't know the answers to it all. The only man that likely does is GoC.

I think that with the Card Terminal, most of that is out of print in Japan. Same with the V-Tamer books. V-Jump scans generally are allowed in small doses. That's why I provide the ones for the news. Well after this month I won't be as i'm not renewing my subscription.

The NEXT manga was allowed at the time. Then we had Jeff come along as a frequent visitor. Therefore I think it was at this point that the decision was made to go, ok we need to make a cut off. The Xros Manga has never been allowed on the site, minus small doses. But it isn't like people can't find it easy enough.

Basically if a member has any question about scanned contect or if they can scan something. They should ask GoC. I do that myself when i'm scanning stuff.

I should point out something from this (http://withthewill.net/index.php?topic=17132.msg231313#msg231313) thread recently. Now i'm not 100% certain, but i think it comes to things like the music, episodes and up to date manga. Again GOC should be asked in any cases where there is doubt.

Shining Celebi
07-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about Xros Wars, not Next. I never did find it, or read it, but I never looked super hard either, though I did want to see it.

"Out of print" doesn't make a difference legally, and as you say, only some of it is (and at the time it was posted, for example, most of it wasn't.)

If Nimoy and other visitors made it a condition of their posting, that makes sense that they wanted to be as cautious as possible, even beyond the bounds of what is actually legal, but there's still this weird mix-and-match.

I singled out V-Jump as being extra bizarre because there is obviously no American market for V-Jump and pretty much the sole purpose of it is to sell merchandise/promote the show/whatever. It would essentially be posting ads for Digimon.

I get the "why" if it came down to Nimoy though. Implementation seems kinda scattershot. It just bothers me, as in that one thread, that there's a lot of stuff most people are never going to see because of it, and the justification seemed really vague to me.

BTW, if you/Lost need anything with sorting Starlight out, my Master's was all in security and that kinda junk so I have some fair amount of experience in it - I'd be mostly limited by my laziness. I saw y'all found it was some exploit in whatever software was being used, and you probably already do this, but keep your site password separate from all your others and change it if you haven't. There's been a ton of password leaks lately, from LinkedIn to LastFM, and those asshats at Dreamhost were storing older logins in plaintext and somebody got those, which affected me.

Vande
07-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Hm, I don't think it was a condition of posting. More of a 'just in cases'. Maybe it's one of the rules that really needs to be ironed out whenever we get the time to go over them.

About Starlight, the pw is totally random and i have trouble remembering it so XD If Lost does need any assistance i'll send him your way. Thanks :)