PDA

View Full Version : Xros Wars YH Episode 3 (57): Robot Club's Dream Pinocchimon's Enticement

Vande
10-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Xros Wars Episode 57 (Young Hunters Episode 3) Premiere

Episode thread for Episode 57 (Young Hunters Episode 3).

Air Time
6.30am Sunday - (JST) - Japan
10.30pm Saturday - (BST) - UK
05:30pm Saturday (EST) - East Coast
04:30pm Saturday (CST) - Central
02:30pm Saturday (PST) - West Coast

No spoilers past this episode.

To join the chatroom to discuss the episode as it airs and after it airs with others either click the chat link at the top of WtW or use your irc program to join.

Server- irc.rizon.net
Room- #wtw

Vande
10-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Unlocking this topic ready for the Episode 3 preview. Please discuss the preview in this thread rather then Episode 2.

NekoHaruko
10-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty sure I just saw someone get sucked into the computer. :o
Was that Arresterdramon Xrossed with Dolurumon at the end of the preview?
Nevermind. I was just seeing the Diigmon the club apparently made. It has a drill for a nose.

The Chaos Entity
10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah, it's Breakdramon, or, rather a blue varient named G-Breakdramon.

AlforceVeedramon
10-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Pinocchimon looks to be under the control of somebody, judging by his eyes in the preview. That would explain why he's suddenly an enemy.

Tyranno
10-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Here's the theory I posted on TV Tropes' WMG article:

Many have theorized that the Pinocchimon in episode three is a different one from the original since he seems to be acting evil, but what if he were the original Pinocchimon under some kind of control? It seems like he's using a human to create what looks like Breakdramon, so it's possible that the Breakdramon from the first series somehow took control of Pinocchimon, and had him go to the human world/DigiQuartz so they could use a human being's power to revive him.

Lhikan634
10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Personally, that theory seems a bit detail-specific for Digimon. While that would be an interesting idea (basically a Breakdramon virus infecting Puppetmon / Pinochimon), Breakdramon was under Matadormon. Who was under the San Gen Shi. Who were under Baguramon. Just for comparison, it would be similar to seeing one of MadLeomon's lackeys take the spotlight. Not impossible, but I'd think somewhat improbable.

However… say Breakdramon had some form of destructive past and was like some Infermon-like entity seeking destruction who was revived by Matadormon… That would potentially explain both realms of why Breakdramon was being used by a vampire in Sweets Zone and why Puppetmon's gone all crazy. This is assuming that Breakdramon and G-Breakdramon even have anything to do with each other, of course.

But I will say… Puppetmon's expression definitely does have "taken over" in his eyes. Makes me wonder if there's something going on like the Adventure Black Gears or Zero-Two Control Spires and Dark Rings causing the digimon to attack… Only time will tell, it would seem…

Bartz
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Breakdramon is a weird case. It was mentioned as being the cause of the Digital world's collapse, but that is never brought up again after the Sweet Zone. Granted, it fits into his profile description of only being a mindless being craving destruction, but you'd think they'd expand on it.

As for this episode, I'm thinking someone has control over Puppetmon/Pinocchimon, but I don't think it'll be Breakdramon. The question is who's that someone manipulating him and why.

TMS
10-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Breakdramon didn't really cause the separation of the Digital World into zones. That was just a rumor. The real reason was the growth of digital technology in the human world.

Tyranno
10-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Either way, he was still some sort of mechanical eldritch abomination.

Seventh
10-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Pinocchimon looks to be under the control of somebody, judging by his eyes in the preview. That would explain why he's suddenly an enemy.

That or, hate to say it, they might really have brought out another one.

I actually think it might be the same one though, and what's more, I'd almost bet that Taiki "catches" him. He was practically a member of Xros Heart by the end of that Zone anyway.

Absolute Zero
10-12-2011, 04:49 AM
On the preview Tagiru said: There's a Digital Accident!Tactics Squad....
Another homage

solorachi
10-12-2011, 11:10 PM
I honestly think it's just another Pinnochimon, like everyone thought at the start Coronamon would be Apollomon in the return.

Seventh
10-13-2011, 12:48 PM
That kinda decision would baffle me. Wouldn't surprise me, knowing some of the first half's oddities, but...

solorachi
10-13-2011, 11:15 PM
If it is the same Pinnochimon though, what question I would want answered is how he wondered into the Human World.

CloneWarrior
10-13-2011, 11:59 PM
If it is the same Pinnochimon though, what question I would want answered is how he wondered into the Human World.

The Digimon in DigiQuartz are being transported from the Digital World.

solorachi
10-14-2011, 12:04 AM
From the preview it looked like Pinnochimon was in the human world...not in digiquartz.

The Chaos Entity
10-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Sagomon appeared in the real world too, he'll likely be in both

Unknown Neo
10-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah. Sagomon popped into the real world in the pool then made that girl who doesn't like cram school scream when he was standing in front of her. Plus Gumdramon, Shoutmon, and Astamon were in the real world.

CrazyAristocracy
10-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I can't get used to Pinocchimon's voice...

Nakama, nakama, nakama... It's obviously the old Pinocchimon.

cutejana17
10-15-2011, 02:59 PM
New episode again, yay! I was wondering if they are the same Pinnochimon & Breakdramon in Xros Wars though.... O_o xD

[hr]
-Pinnochimon O_o
-The Breakdramon blueprint...
-Tagiru & Yuu reminds me of Daisuke & Takeru in 02 so much... xD
-And now they're arguing against each other xD
-They went to visit their classmate named Tokio...
-They went inside DIgiQuartz... through the Computer xD
Doesn't it remind you of 02?! xD
-Reload, Gumdramon!
-Breakdramon O_O
-Wait, so he IS the Pinnochimon of Xros Wars!! O_O
-The eyecatch makes me miss Damemon/Tuwarmon T_T
-So that Breakdramon is named GigaBreakdramon...
-He attacks them as if they didn't know Taiki in Dust Zone before! O_O
-The whole building's destroyed! :O
-TAGIRU CHIKARA FTW!! <3 xD
-Arresterdramon being awesome again <3
-Yay, no OHKO again! =D xD
-RYOUMA AND THE OTHER HUNTERS!!! O__O xD
-Taiki & Shoutmon protected Pinnochimon :D
-Wow, the theme of awesomeness again!! (Koubou xD)
-EPICNESS! Shoutmon & Pinnochimon DigiXros!
-DigiXros! Xrop Up! Shoutmon!
-Now this is really how a DigiXros should be like, good job utilizing DigiXros unlike before Taiki ;)
-Dejimon Shoukai Koanaa! xD
-GigaBreakDamemon! Dame dame xD

[hr]
~Next Episode~
-Eh?! Poor Yuu :<
-YAY REN xD
-Blossomon attacks!

Geriand
10-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I was impressed with the continuity shown in this episode, yet disappointed that the Shoutmon + Pinnochimon Xros wasn't named... Any suggestions?

lucemon
10-15-2011, 03:04 PM
boring episode! sorry .. but this series is far from achieving the proper level of the previous season!

The best episode was the intervention of the Taiki and Xros Shoutmon with Pinochimon!

boring! the annoying tagiru have captured the digimon! he did nothing for it .. :-\

cutejana17
10-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Yep I know, I typed it before the episode aired (I type these thoughts while I'm watching) ;D

Garmmon
10-15-2011, 03:08 PM
They didn't explain how Pinocchimon turned evil, did they? I don't remember hearing anything about it after Pinocchimon turned good which kinda annoyed me...
On the other hand, I really liked Shoutmon with a hammer for some reason. I think a hammer fits him.

Since Pinocchimon could set a specific area of Digiquartz for the robot club kids to enter, I wonder if the hunters can choose to travel to a specific area of the Digiquartz as well other than the same area they were in in the real world..

Zeero
10-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I was impressed with the continuity shown in this episode, yet disappointed that the Shoutmon + Pinnochimon Xros wasn't named... Any suggestions?

PinocchiShoutmon? Or, the inevitable dub corruption PuppetShoutmon? No matter the name, it was a nice DigiXros.

Solid episode and I got really excited when Ryouma and co. showed up. They exude such an aura of badassery and I really want to see more of them. I kinda wished that Tagiru didn't get the Digimon like always; I wanted to see someone else capture GigaBrakedramon, preferably someone from Ryouma's team. They're supposed to be pro hunters compared to Tagiru, yet in the first episode, the three of them combined couldn't catch a Digimon that Tagiru was able to acquire in his first day as a Digimon Hunter.

Just a few qualms but overall, nice instalment.

ThunderDramon
10-15-2011, 03:11 PM
boring episode! sorry .. but this series is far from achieving the proper level of the previous season!

The best episode was the intervention of the Taiki and Xros Shoutmon with Pinochimon!

boring! the annoying tagiru have captured the digimon! he did nothing for it .. :-\

Well when you think about it, Taiki's not in it for the hunting, he's just helping people which is why he let Tagiru and Arresterdramon take the final blow, the same applies with Sagomon. I think Taiki also got Pinocchimon unless he just left and was there for the episode. And we're three episodes in so I wouldn't expect anything just yet. Did they explain what made Pinocchimon turn evil?

Absolute Zero
10-15-2011, 03:12 PM
- The way they enter DigiQuartz sound 02-ish, another homage.
- Love the Taiki & Pinnochimon reunion
- Opposumon finally in action, just Dracmon left.. i wonder when will Ren revert Astamon to Psychemon..
- So Pinnochimon is brainwashed... wonder who's the one who brainwashed him
- Disappointed at how they designed Shoutmon + Pinnochimon, i thought it will be a badass wooden dragon that has quite many Pinnochimon part in it, but they went with "Card-Slash" DigiXros.....
- Of course Tagiru will get GigaBreakdramon, but i expected to see Arresterdramon + Sagomon, well... maybe later, but sure Tagiru has gotten a nice and strong addition to his team.
- So.. what happened to Pinnochimon? did he join Taiki or go back to Digital World or keep living in DigiQuartz?

- Oh... Blossomon.. Yuu.... tentacle raep.... fanservice for girls
- No sign of Damemon

lucemon
10-15-2011, 03:19 PM
again? is equal to savers, the digimon are being affected by human emotions ... bla bla bla!

The Chaos Entity
10-15-2011, 03:24 PM
He came to them, however.

masterdramon
10-15-2011, 04:22 PM
which 2 digimon did they xros in the preview, just as MetalShoutmon last week and GumClockmon the week before that? And what was its name?

Absolute Zero
10-15-2011, 04:31 PM
which 2 digimon did they xros in the preview, just as MetalShoutmon last week and GumClockmon the week before that? And what was its name?

Damemon + GigaBreakdramon = GigaBreakDamemon

tomon
10-15-2011, 06:48 PM
same Pinocchimon from Dust Zone. also, the episode was a little boring. but i can't wait for the next ep, yay Yuu time.

Deviate
10-15-2011, 07:21 PM
This episode was...really boring actually. I want to see more of the rival team. I don't want Taiki basically handing over strong Digimon to Tagiru. I didn't like Digi Xros Digimon sometimes being unnamed in the first Xros Wars series, so I sure as hell hate that all Digi Xroses are now nameless.

CloneWarrior
10-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I didn't like Digi Xros Digimon sometimes being unnamed in the first Xros Wars series, so I sure as hell hate that all Digi Xroses are now nameless.

Not all of them. The joke ones in Digimon Corner get names. -_-

Bartz
10-15-2011, 08:40 PM

It's only been three episodes, give it some time. Also remember that the original Xros Wars series took a while to pick up as well.

As for today's episode, it was surprisingly dull. While I was glad to see the writers acknowledge Pinocchimon's prior role, they never explained why he was brainwashed. Hopefully this will be addressed soon, but at this point, I'm annoyed that they just completely ignored it. As for Gigabreakdramon, it was pretty much the original with a new paint job, there was practically nothing new that was added to it. It also didn't help that its role seems like a downgrade after what it got in the Sweet Zone arc.

I'm also getting bored of having the rival team take such a passive role, they really need to start getting more involved.

Deviate
10-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Not all of them. The joke ones in Digimon Corner get names. -_-

I'm talking about the official Xros Digimon in the show itself.

Garmmon
10-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, about the rival team taking a passive role...apparently this episode they didn't hunt GigaBreakdramon because Ryouma said there's no point in hunting a berserk Digimon that they wouldn't be able to control. I wonder if they'll actually show Tagiru trying to use GigaBreakdramon and fail to control it.

DD
10-15-2011, 09:42 PM
This episode was...really boring actually. I want to see more of the rival team. I don't want Taiki basically handing over strong Digimon to Tagiru. I didn't like Digi Xros Digimon sometimes being unnamed in the first Xros Wars series, so I sure as hell hate that all Digi Xroses are now nameless.

I blame that on the fact that Digi Xros is now like a power up rather than a new stage of power now. We've seen three examples of that already with the Metal Tyrannomon armor, Dorulu Cannon and now the Pinnochimon attachment and bullet hammer fusing with Shoutmon's microphone.

I've given it 3 eps, but I'm just not digging the capture concept because like Garmmon just mentioned in the previous post, Giga Breakdramon is just one giant rampage waiting to happen and Sagomon just went around abducting kids left and right, now that they're stuffed in a Xros Loader they're counted as part of the good guys?

TMS
10-16-2011, 05:17 PM
GigaBreakdramon is a little odd. All he is is a recolored Breakdramon, with even the same three attacks. They did say he was Ultimate level, by the way.

It's been a while since I've watched the Dust Zone arc, but I think Pinocchimon's voice changed a bit in this episode. Got a little deeper, which doesn't really fit as well as the childish voice of the Dark Master version, or that weird voice the dub gave Puppetmon. Their not bringing up the reason for his behavior doesn't bug me too much. He probably has no clue what happened either.

Meanwhile, I hope Ryouma and company will continue to make appearances. It looks like Ren gets his turn in the spotlight next episode, and we know Airu stars in the fifth.

Oh, I'm also glad that Taiki was able to get Pinocchimon on his team without having to murder him like MetalTyrannomon, Sagomon, and GigaBreakdramon.

CloneWarrior
10-16-2011, 05:28 PM
They did say he was Ultimate level, by the way.

No they didn't They just called him the "ultimate destroyer Digimon" like they did the normal Breakdramon.

garfield15
10-17-2011, 08:17 AM
About Pinocchimon's brainwashing, I wasn't bothered by it because I'm pretty sure that this is going to be part of what the DigiQuartz is and why Digimon are being brought there and feeding off human emotions

Vande
10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Gumdramon's Digital World's number one wild child and then Shoutmon's reply made me laugh. They really do make a good duo. Although I do not want to see Gumdramon take over Shoutmon at any point.

Sabrblade
10-17-2011, 11:29 AM
This episode's battle wasn't as glorious as the last one's was. I think it was the Shoutmon DigiXros with Pinocchimon defeating GigBreakdramon seemingly too easily. I think it would have been more sensical if Shoutmon had evolved first and then DigiXros'd with Pinocchimon. After all, it took the might of X5 to defeat the regular Breakdramon, and this new Xros didn't look to be as powerful.

Also, what about the Robot Club kids who saw the fight? They were snapped out of their brainwashing and were fully conscious during the whole thing. I doubt Taiki and co. have MIB Neuralizers on hand, so what's to become of these witnesses and their knowledge of DigiQuartz and digimon?

NekoHaruko
10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Also, what about the Robot Club kids who saw the fight? They were snapped out of their brainwashing and were fully conscious during the whole thing. I doubt Taiki and co. have MIB Neuralizers on hand, so what's to become of these witnesses and their knowledge of DigiQuartz and digimon?

That one girl last episode didn't remember seeing SAgomon either. This si going to sound completely crazy. But what if Digiquartz erases memories of the Digimon after leaving? It also seems that the Digimon completely erase the negative feelings after the enounter. Pretty crazy, right? lol;

YukiGreymon
10-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Man... even if GigaBrakedramon becomes useful -- and drills always are -- it will still be a terrible decision for Taiki to let Tagiru capture something that was on a rampage.

On the other side, I don't like that Shoutmon is using the new Xros Up method. Especially since Pinocchimon armor doesn't really add anything tactically.

And I agree with others that this ep was fairly boring. Unless the next ep starts with Taiki asking how Pinocchimon got hypnotized or whatever, the whole thing will have been a waste.

I'm also beginning to be bothered that, like 02, the tamers aren't taking things seriously enough. There's no active search for Damemon, no real effort learn about the other tamers or DigiQuartz. Maybe I just want them to get serious so we have an episode of OmegaShoutmon training (that is, beating the crap out of) Allstardramon.

garfield15
10-17-2011, 02:55 PM
There's no active search for Damemon

They can't go to the Digital World, which is the only place he'd be right now.

Inpu
10-17-2011, 03:11 PM
They can't go to the Digital World, which is the only place he'd be right now.

Are they trying to find a way to get there? What are they doing to prepare or, in general, act?

Are they protagonists, or merely citizens going with the flow and reacting to whatever is thrown at them?

Lhikan634
10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
So, Puppetmon(Pinochimon)'s forgotten Taiki, it seems… and is that a slightly different voice, or am I remembering too much of the Adventure Dub? ::)

YES!!! Shoutmon X Puppetmon (Pinochimon) - way to use that ol' noggin, Taiki.

Apparently Tagiru wants to date a digimon… (joke from the ending, heh heh)

The GigaBreakdDamemon "Xros" is funny! "it didn't look like what I thought it would!" :P

Regarding Damemon… here's another thing to consider: last episode Shoutmon and Taiki mentioned that they hadn't been able to see each other during that year in the real world. That Wisemon was able to transport the digimon into the X-Loader to me suggests that the Xros Heart company may indeed have been trying to world-hop again but have been unable to. Hopefully when Damemon appears, they will divulge more. It's still the beginning of a series. They don't have to amass everyone's past instantly. This episode seems to have been going a bit into how DigiQuartz affects digimon (seems to me like it erases memory and will and turns them into "wild ones" to destroy and then be hunted down).

————————

Preview: see comments here (http://withthewill.net/index.php?topic=16558.msg219010#msg219010) ;)

Shinraisei
10-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Was it just me or did the one Robot Club member who spoke at the beginning (Not Tokio) sound like Tenjin Umi (Izzy's VA)? I looked in the credits but saw nothing...but it certainly sounded like her a little.

Aside that, I just the gate doesn't take you to the parallel area all the time after all. Wonder why. An alright episode though. :)

Absolute Zero
10-18-2011, 04:51 AM
So apparently Gumdramon is using the same line he said on episode 1 "Whoever stops here is an idiot", calling it his catchphrase now.

dragonking555
10-18-2011, 06:41 AM
I don't agree with people that this episode was filler with no purpose. The addition of Puppetmon losing his memory and appearing to be controlled makes me wonder who was controlling him or if it is an effect that Digiquartz can have on Digimon.

Also the Digixros with Puppetmon was nicely streamlined. So far I'm liking the digixroses in this season much more than the previous one. They aren't so cluttered and clumsy.

Also with Taiki being such a higher level than the rest of the hunters, I would not be surprised if something happens to him a quarter or mid way through season that causes the hunters to team together and Tagiru to have to fill his shoes. Looking forward to the next episode and hoping we might finally see Damemon's return.

tomon
10-18-2011, 12:50 PM
So apparently Gumdramon is using the same line he said on episode 1 "Whoever stops here is an idiot", calling it his catchphrase now.
hurm, thats a funky catchprase. i was really hoping to see a combination btw gumdramon and sagomon in this episode.

the hunting thing kinda reminds me of Cardcaptors now. im not having that much of a problem with it, but it'd be nice to know if the digimon have personalitys, like gumdramon, etc.

YukiGreymon
10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
it'd be nice to know if the digimon have personalitys, like gumdramon, etc.

For a large part, we do know their personality. Pinnochimon we've seen before, GigaBreakdramon is a berserk machine, MetalTyrannomon is like a tame animal. Sagomon is the only mystery, really.

dragonking555
10-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Also for those complaining about the digimon captured becoming good digimon and the digixroses no longer having names, remember that they are treating Digixroses in this season more like the power ups of the card slash in Tamers, rather than a new level of evolution.

As for the evil digimon "magically" becoming good. I think that in the hunt they practically destroy the enemy digimon, capture it and from there it becomes reconfigured to obey them. It is a lot more practical than trying to juggle 100 minor characters and taking away from the development on the main ones (the main issue with the first season). I'd also rather see a few real digivolutions than half a dozen new digixroses.

Though this episode was slower, so far I think this season is far and above the last season of digimon. It has a smoother arc, better character development already, more engaging one on one battles, and more mystery. I'm especially glad that the mini arc thing was ditched. By this time in Xros Wars 1, a new arc was beginning which led to a lack of rise in tension and making it more episodic in structure. Longer arcs allow for more story and character complexity....usually.

Monox D. I-Fly
10-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Sagomon is the only mystery, really.

I think Sagomon's personality is just like Shawujingmon's in Savers. Talk less, do more.

solorachi
10-19-2011, 03:22 AM
It's true longer arc lead to more character development and such, but I just hope it doesn't work in reverse for this season meaning that the arcs drag on for too long or something...

Sabrblade
10-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Though this episode was slower, so far I think this season is far and above the last season of digimon. It has a smoother arc, better character development already, more engaging one on one battles, and more mystery. I'm especially glad that the mini arc thing was ditched. By this time in Xros Wars 1, a new arc was beginning which led to a lack of rise in tension and making it more episodic in structure. Longer arcs allow for more story and character complexity....usually.
It's only been a couple of episodes so far. Remember how Xros Wars started off great and had a smooth story for while... until around either Magma, Lake, or Sand Zone did its pacing start to become problematic and its plot become jumbled. Right now, while Xros Wars II (as I'm calling it) may feel like a smooth ride for now, it too may fall victim to the pacing and development issues that its predecessor suffered. At the moment, the plot hasn't really gone anywhere just yet, so it's too early to make a call on how good this show is with what little we've seen of it.

Unknown Neo
10-20-2011, 04:51 PM
I thought the ep was ok. Not bad but I'm guessing the next ep and the Cute/Airu ep will be better.

Seventh
10-20-2011, 08:46 PM
I... can't believe I'm saying this, but this episode actually made me long for Xros Wars' go-nowhere mini-arcs. There was ALWAYS some kind of plot in them, albeit maybe one that would be resolved in an episode or two, but still. Maybe this was just a bad episode, but... still.

I mean, Digimon antics are... almost entirely gone to be replaced by human shenanigans, Shoutmon STILL has the worst-designed non-main Xroses ever (I grinned a huge grin when Pinnochimon joined up - I love that guy - it went away faster than I got it when Shoutmon basically just got his freaking hammer), and I mean. just. Come on guys.

Tagiru and Gumdramon, who looked awesome at first, are starting to look more and more like the "good old" Digimon = their partners but short mess of series past, and now even Shoutmon is displaying more of this. Sure, he's more developed, but don't kill everything that made him Shoutmon.

Honestly, this may end up being a good Digimon series - animation and writing is solid so far, and soundtrack is great as always - but if it keeps what it's been doing up, it by no means whatsoever will be Xros Wars anymore.

... Yeah, I guess this isn't so much about the episode as my horrified reaction to it, but same difference I guess. I AM thoroughly pleased to see Pinnochimon back, even if I guarantee we'll never see him again. I mean hell, thanks to the garbage rules that've been forced on us, we don't even get to see Ballistamon and Dorurumon anymore.

dragonking555
10-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Tagiru and Gumdramon, who looked awesome at first, are starting to look more and more like the "good old" Digimon = their partners but short mess of series past, and now even Shoutmon is displaying more of this. Sure, he's more developed, but don't kill everything that made him Shoutmon.

If you have such a problem with that then maybe you should watch the dubbs. They never did that. The Digimon always had distinctly different personalities in the english versions. I'm usually a "watch in its original language" loyalist, but Digimon has some of the best dubbs of anime out there.

Also keep in mind that Shoutmon is actually about 100 years older. Months pass in the digital world while only a day passes in the real world. That means Shoutmon has gotten a LOT older and more mature since leaving Taiki at the end of Xros Wars.

TMS
10-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure I understand what Seventh is saying. It seems a little awkwardly worded. I'm also not sure that the dub changed the personalities of the Digimon significantly other than to have them make bad jokes at inappropriate moments. The dub was more prone to changing the human characters, the way they simplified Mimi and Daisuke, and rewrote things to fit the renamed Crests.

Lhikan634
10-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Correct. basically, 365 days (1 year) has passed in the real world. Their whole multi-day adventure from the first half was, if I remember correctly, not even a day (I'm sure there's somewhere that has the actual numbers…). It would make sense for the factor to be roughly 10 - 100 (using a purely logarithmic scale).

Now, whichever factor of 10 it is… Shoutmon has had a lot of time to mature. Heck, I know I matured a whole lot each year between 6th grade to 9th grade especially (to the point I wouldn't recognize my personality much between years). This would explain Taiki's toning-down during that year (think Tai and Matt from Adventure to Zero-Two). This was also around the age of 13, so it parallels mine quite a bit. The young teenage years can be a huge time of growth… just provided you're wanting to grow (otherwise you stay the same obnoxious kid :P). In Taiki and my cases, this is both physical and personality growth.

Now, place this on a larger scale… Shoutmon makes sense now. Both the physical and personality changes. He's learned the responsibility he's needed to be the king. Now, granted, we haven't seen the in-between time, but that's the same with Adventure and Zero-Two. You'll be hard-pressed to tell me T.K. hasn't matured and changed a lot (ok, this is at least by the dub… I think I remember similar changes in the original).

Now as to the Xros… do remember how powerful Puppetmon (Pinochimon) 's hammer is from Adventure (this is just to get a comparative estimate). Combine that with Shoutmon's kingly powers. Yeah… Oh, and just to note, Shoutmon X Puppetmon does indeed gain more, aesthetically, than a hammer (Puppetmon's lederhosen).

Sabrblade
10-21-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure I understand what Seventh is saying. It seems a little awkwardly worded. I'm also not sure that the dub changed the personalities of the Digimon significantly other than to have them make bad jokes at inappropriate moments. The dub was more prone to changing the human characters, the way they simplified Mimi and Daisuke, and rewrote things to fit the renamed Crests.
Though, the dub did change Gabumon from being a youthful companion into an old man type. ::)

And they changed Tailmon from being like a matured young woman to being like a spunky little girl.

Seventh
10-21-2011, 01:05 PM
If you have such a problem with that then maybe you should watch the dubbs. They never did that. The Digimon always had distinctly different personalities in the english versions. I'm usually a "watch in its original language" loyalist, but Digimon has some of the best dubbs of anime out there.
I'm not sure about "always". Most of them really didn't in either language -or at least not the dub - and even if they were "different", that still didn't make them fleshed out as characters with decent screentime, as Xros Wars (and Tamers) had them. At most, I can really only remember Gomamon and maybe Tentomon. The rest were usually just little support systems/clones that followed them around, occasionally being different (maybe depending on dub or not dub), but they weren't ever as fleshed out as Shoutmon until Tamers, which I'm not questioning.

What Xros Wars is doing that I'm not liking is that the Digimon, instead of being around, is that it's stuffing them in Xros Loaders for the majority of episodes so far, and when they do appear, the one we're seeing the most of (Gumdramon) is essentially now Tagiru 2.0, most of his unique traits from the first episode having been thrown to the wind. What's worse, BOTH of them are basically shallow clones of Shoutmon before his development. Not only that, thanks to the "rules", no matter how many Digimon they hunt, we will ONLY ever get to see the two of them (and never again the Digimon of Xros Heart) as opposed to their other Digimon, which means even LESS Digimon screentime.

... Ironically, though, they're still entertaining and more fun than Taiki, but still.

Also keep in mind that Shoutmon is actually about 100 years older. Months pass in the digital world while only a day passes in the real world. That means Shoutmon has gotten a LOT older and more mature since leaving Taiki at the end of Xros Wars.

Well, like I said, I don't have a huge problem with Shoutmon YET. I'm just worried he'll turn into a Taiki clone, and saying "well he's older now so it's okay he's different" to excuse poorly writing a formely well written and fleshed out character now is, well, just an excuse.

Now as to the Xros… do remember how powerful Puppetmon (Pinochimon) 's hammer is from Adventure (this is just to get a comparative estimate). Combine that with Shoutmon's kingly powers. Yeah… Oh, and just to note, Shoutmon X Puppetmon does indeed gain more, aesthetically, than a hammer (Puppetmon's lederhosen).

Even so - compare it to Arresterdramon X MetalTyrannomon or even Shoutmon himself X MetalTyrannomon. Even as a joke, it was at least somewhat creative and used equal elements of both Digimon - this Xros, however, just lazily (as usual) slapped together the weapons of the other Digimon onto Shoutmon.

Also, guys, while we COULD say that "well it's been a year so naturally Shoutmon will be a different character"... let's remember no other Digimon that's been through a timeskip has ever shown any kind of extreme change (look at the rest of Xros Heart!), and since this kind of passage of time is NATURAL for a Digimon, it'd really be even weirder for a Digimon to do that.

I get it. Shoutmon is the king now, he has responsibilities, and he's (apparently) had time with those responsibilities - there's even been problem's in the Digital World. I like that he's more mature now - it's to be expected. Quite frankly, I like that he's being the "teacher" for Gumdramon. I don't, however, want to see all of that at the cost of everything we liked about him before, and using a timeskip to wipe him away?

Bartz
10-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Though, the dub did change Gabumon from being a youthful companion into an old man type. ::)

And they changed Tailmon from being like a matured young woman to being like a spunky little girl.

"If I ever get my ring back, I'll be one tough Digikitty :3"

Honestly, I think it's too early to say that Shoutmon's other traits are gone. We've only seen him for two episodes, both of which were Tagiru centered, so him being that mature background character for Gumdramon is fine in this case. So he could still have those other traits, it's just that we haven't seen them due to lack of focus on him and Taiki for the time being.

Seventh
10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
"If I ever get my ring back, I'll be one tough Digikitty :3"

Honestly, I think it's too early to say that Shoutmon's other traits are gone. We've only seen him for two episodes, both of which were Tagiru centered, so him being that mature background character for Gumdramon is fine in this case. So he could still have those other traits, it's just that we haven't seen them due to lack of focus on him and Taiki for the time being.

I agree with you! Hence my big YET and all. ;D

I guess you can boil allll of that down to this:

If the timeskip is used to make Shoutmon a more mature Shoutmon, that's great.

If the timeskip, however, is used to just make Shoutmon the Taiki 2.0 to Gumdramon's Tagiru 2.0, then that is not.

THAT'S my big fear, given all of the "you're just like each other" dialogue and how similar Tagiru and Gumdramon are looking to be.