With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 243 of 255 FirstFirst ... 143193233240241242243244245246253 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 2542

Thread: Digimon Channel: Pics and Translation Thread

We didn't actually find out the basis for Jesmon's name, we were just told it's an acronym of several words and it IS NOT Jesus, just that it's cool it happens to sound sorta kinda similar. An acronym also rules out Jesuit, at least solely.

So, just to repeat: we just found out that Jesmon's name is 100% definitely not Jesus, so I hope we can never, ever discuss this again because I am tired of it.
    Last edited by Shining Celebi; 03-13-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Is it an acronym or a portmanteau?
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Is it an acronym or a portmanteau?
    It's acronym.

The Japanese text of his response appears to actually say 'the initial/first letters of several words' and garm simply cleaned it up (properly) while translating to acronym.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Huh. That would seem to make it more baffling than ever.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Huh. That would seem to make it more baffling than ever.
    Awesome that we actually know something now (and can finally get past claims that he's Jesus). It's not necessarily more baffling as JES actually does exist as its own abbreviation… well several. A couple also involve computing, so that could be relevant. Job Entry System and Java Enterprise System, for example. This makes sense with that one OS attack. I don't suppose any of the other Hackmon-line profiles could give any further hints.

Ain't got no mojo...
    But in the end is it:

Three words that starts with J, E and S?
    Three words that starts with ジ, エ and ス?
    Five words that starts with J, I, E, S and U?

Quote Originally Posted by RukasuStorm View Post
    But in the end is it:

Roughly... yes.

But the truth is we don't know.

If the name is some sort of theme, they might have included Mon/モン in it also.

Basically, we know it being 'similar' to Jesus was a coincidence, and it being an acronym is involved.

We don't have any actual clues to 'what' the acronym was built from.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net Seymour Butz's Avatar
    Huh, so it’s JESmon. Interesting. Well, I was at least on the right track that Iesu was part of the etymology, although it seems that was kind of incidental. Wonder if that confirms or denies that Christ was part of the design concept. I’m leaning toward yes; why would he even give a shit otherwise. (‘Answer: because it’s cool ww.’)

Damn, I wanted to continue my rousing philology debate with Alice. It’s not often that I get to engage in such a high form of intellectual circle-jerk. Kind of funny that this children’s buddy monster franchise is the most reliable source in my life of linguistic debates. This is now off topic, but indulge me a few parting notes for my peace of mind:

Quote Originally Posted by AliceKaninchenbau View Post
    [S]ome native English speakers (I'm trying to think of from what region or what accent they have but can't quite put my finger on it, but yeah it's not a universal thing) do pronounce the E in Jesus sorta like... Um... It's kinda like if you took 3/4 of an I-sound and mixed in 1/4 of an E-sound?
    Ah yes, they do that in the Deep South, but usually when they’re speaking casually. The Japanese sometimes do the same thing, and in similar circumstances. I don’t think the casual pronunciation of a word would likely be the source of a divergent romanisation though.

Can you tell the letter Z is not at all present in my native language?
    Aren’t you, like, Danish or something? Y’all don’t have the letter ‘Z’? Or just not the sound [z]?

There is one huge difference between something like Shakamon and Jesmon- one of these could severely insult white Christians and make then get very, VERY mad at Bandai/the francise, the other wouldn't. . . . Let's not forget that Bandai did kinda try to hide Magnamon's "Extreme Jihad" under the rug not too long ago[.]
    This is an important notion to dispel. Westerners would certainly be worried about offending other cultures, but the Japanese don’t give a shit about offending gaijin (including other Asians more often than not), especially not with shit that can easily be edited before it makes its way stateside. The only exception is Muslims — Dio’s Qu’ran was edited out of JoJo even in the Japanese reprints of the series — but that’s a pretty unique situation since you’re potentially looking at something a lot worse than a boycott, and even still, that degree of censorship is pretty mild.

Quote Originally Posted by RukasuStorm View Post
    Yeah, could be any of those. In case anyone is wondering, the Japanese word is 頭文字, kashiramoji, or initials, as in the first letters of words; but it would be unwise to over-focus on the word letters, since 文字, the moji part, literally means ‘written characters’, and is a catchall for kana, kanji, Western-style alphabetical characters, et cetera. So the initials could have been taken from any word in any writing system on Earth.
    Last edited by Seymour Butz; 03-13-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Follow AliceKaninchenbau On Twitter Follow AliceKaninchenbau on DeviantArt Visit AliceKaninchenbau's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour Butz View Post
    Ah yes, they do that in the Deep South, but usually when they’re speaking casually. The Japanese sometimes do the same thing, and in similar circumstances. I don’t think the casual pronunciation of a word would likely be the source of a divergent romanisation though.
    Yeah, like I'm not trying to argue that has to be the explanation for it, more that I could definitely see why this could be a thing if it was, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour Butz View Post
    Aren’t you, like, Danish or something? Y’all don’t have the letter ‘Z’? Or just not the sound [z]?
    I'm not Danish actually, not that it makes any difference since I will keep my home country a secret as long as I can lol. But yeah, we don't have the sound [z] (among a few other sounds and yet they're still a part of our alphabet), I still can't quite wrap my head around how that sound should be pronounced properly but that's just me

Jesmon's name being an acronym doesn't really remove the possibility that "Jesus" could be a part of the acronym, after all, the J, I, or ジ could all stand for Jesus pretty much, and while the example below isn't Digimon related, I'm still gonna use it as evidence that a really creative person who knows their words could most definitely keep Jesus in Jesmon and still come up with an acronym that means something that's semi-sensible, and since it's super unclear how the acronym was formed/what languages it uses, well, there's nothing to prove it impossible Jesus doesn't exist (in this franchise)

Jesmon's name being an acronym doesn't really remove the possibility that "Jesus" could be a part of the acronym, after all, the J, I, or ジ could all stand for Jesus pretty much, and while the example below isn't Digimon related, I'm still gonna use it as evidence that a really creative person who knows their words could most definitely keep Jesus in Jesmon and still come up with an acronym that means something that's semi-sensible, and since it's super unclear how the acronym was formed/what languages it uses, well, there's nothing to prove it impossible Jesus doesn't exist (in this franchise)
    The context of his response makes it clear Jesus was not one of the words.

It simply ended up being a 'similar vibe' to Jesus.