With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lhikan634: Life and Mental Vacations

So, after the residual effects of that episode lasted longer than what should be normal, last semester I ended up working with the university's counseling services to test my hypothesis that it was depression. In the end, the diagnosis was that indeed it is depression.

This is a bit of an awkward result - it's not a positive result but at the same time I ended being correct on my suspicions (though my parents had mentally ruled it out as a possibility). I mean, seriously, self-diagnosis is rarely so accurate. Ever the scientist, I've done quite a load of research on the literature regarding the disorder. I'm positive, only a scientist would actually be intrigued by depression. I'm even taking a research course this semester where the paper I'm looking to present involves the associated genetics.

With this knowledge, I'm also looking at better ways to keep things balanced. I mean, heck, I'm seeing how both anxiety and depression affected my first post in this thread. So I'm trying to change up a few things:

• Being a bit more open, particularly around those care to listen, about how I'm feeling and just depression in general
    • Making sure I have some cheap but useful workout equipment at my apartment (exercise can help in chemical balance)
    • Hopefully getting a sleep cycle that doesn't make me look like I'm trying to go nocturnal…
    • Generally making sure I can set aside time for the non-university stuff I really enjoy, like writing and drawing

Wow, over a year since posts. This has been quite the rollercoaster of a year, to be honest.

So, one thing that ended up lasting over a semester was quite the battle with a pathetic excuse for a landlord. I'd had several major maintenance issues (all health-affecting) go completely ignored at my old apartment. Maintenance claimed it was fixed without doing anything; management ignored several attempts to contact them (both by myself and relevant health inspection). This should have been an open-and-shut case against them, except that the forms of communication the apartment accepts all "happen" to be those which leave little enforceable evidence. As it's university-affiliated, I'm still hoping that university administration / enforcement staff can find something to use against the apartments - and frankly, it seems that the university's trying to get them on something already. But at this point, my only option was to lease a second apartment at another complex (while keeping an eye out for signs of the likes of double-leasing). Definitely not something that's good to pair with depression. I ended up losing over a semester's worth of potential research while trying in vain to get appropriate living conditions. So, yeah, moving's helped a lot, but it still feels like I'm way behind where I need to be.

Within this year, I've also had some interesting adventures with the German Digimon Wiki. It began by finding a ton of my artwork had been stolen by one of their ex-admins. Eventually, I began to help them with some fact-checking and checking dub names. I was taken on ad a sort of interim admin / janitor to help sort issues of copyright and factuality, but eventually found that a lot of the issues stemmed back not only to that ex-admin who'd taken my work but also to one of the more recent admins. Said admin basically threw a hissy fit that his "contributions" were flagged as being unfactual and tried to claim I was the one adding fake info (apparently not realizing how a wiki's history pages work). Anyways, he also got staff attention over pirated content. Anyways, the wiki is in some dire need of contributors who speak German and are familiar with Digimon (as thus far, it's only been one or the other for editors).

I've had the pleasure of teaching my favorite lab at the university two years in a row, which has been pretty cool. Sadly, the university references are way dated, so I've had to put in a lot of effort each year in fact-checking materials. Somehow, though, I keep finding materials that have been blatantly plagiarized - by senior science majors, of all things. We also have one prof in the department who's really been mis-training them (botching mathematical constants, unable to do basic math, having his students violate university lab protocol when using my lab, interrupting exams…). The first year, I was convinced by some faculty members to let these issues slide; that definitely won't be happening this semester as I've caught plagiarized material not just on routine assignments but also on the midterm exam (as well as on a semester project, but that was caught in the summer after the first bunch had already been graduated so would have been even more administrative hoops to jump through).

In terms of my research, I haven't gotten much further than deciding on my methods. Actually running the data hasn't occurred yet due to time constraints on other issues. Though I have figured out at least one cause of past issues within my focus taxa, so that should give some good progress. I need to have a test sample run with a deadline of the end of the month, which will be quite the deadline along with course grading. It shouldn't be too daunting once I'm able to get to working on it as I've basically inspected all of my specimens already (just not without that all-official set of statistics).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12