With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Preference on the Evolution branching, and abilities systems in a Digimon Game?

I come from the net Master-Element's Avatar

Your Preference on the Evolution branching, and abilities systems in a Digimon Game?

So as I have said before I am working on making my own 3d digimon rpg game using blender and Unreal Engine 4. I have been working on what digimon I want to put in the game and what they evolve into. My question is how you guys prefer the branching of evolution is handled in a game.
    They original way I was going to handle it was like pokemon, where a one digimon evolves exclusively into another, but after mapping out the evolution trees I feel that to many digimon that are popular are left out because I choose for an the only legit evolution they can take is going to someone else.
    So I was thinking, I liked Cyber sleuth because every evolution has several possible digimon to evolve from. That means you don't get an adult or perfect with out an evolution, in the original digimon story games there were to many digimon that were dead ends.
    But I feel that the problem with this solution is it makes certain digimon useless for instance if a Prince Mamemon evolves from metal mamemon and Mamemon it's the same digimon in both caeses, what it evolves from is meaningless. So I thought of a solution. In my game digimon are going to have abilities like pokemon, for instances I'm thinking Rosemon's would have an ability that leeches enemy hp. Or belphemon for instance Switches between Sleep mode and Rage mode in battle kind of like Slaking's ability in pokemon but it's every few turns. I was also thinking that Victory Greymon switches between using his sword and using his claws baled on attacks. And Z'd Garurumon Starts out the battle with his cannon, but has low speed but high attack power. When it uses its cannon it's destroyed for a few turns. During this time Z'd Garurumon has lower attack power but greater speed.
    Anyway my idea for branching evolutions is At least two digimon can become one evolution but depending on what digimon it evolved from effects the base stats, and what ability it has.
    So for example Rosemon can evolve from Lilimon or Lilamon. If Rosemon evolves from Lilimon then its MP and speed base stats are higher, and it has a leeching ability. If it evolves from Lilamon then it's Hp and attack base stats would be higher and would have an ability that raises it's attack when it's hp is less then 30%. All these variables are examples but you get the idea, plus the abilities Rosemon carries over from previous evolutions are different. Aslo there is also the option that what a digimon evolved from before changes the option of what it can evolve to next. Lets say Metal greymon evolves from Greymon and Tyrannomon. Soevolving from both digimon means that Metal Greymon can evolve to War Greymon, but the one evolved from greymon can evolve to Ancient Greymon while the one from tyrannomon can become Rust Tyrannomon. This idea is optional to the main part of my idea.
    So first what do you like better the linear exclusive branching like pokemon and original digimon story or mutliple ways to get the same final evolution but varies on base stats and abilities?
    Second what do you think of the examples of digimon abilities I thought of?
    I'm the sprite artist formerly known as Digi-Brigade

Definitely prefer branching evolution paths.

The abilities sound pretty interesting, and I think there's a lot of things you could do with that. For example, assuming these abilities can accumulate the same way one collects techniques in so many games, it would be cool to have an evolution path where you collect nothing but leeching abilities from each stage, so the end result is a Rosemon that may not have the versatility of having collected 4+ different abilities, but would be amazing at leeching.

It sounds cool, but that is a TON of work to implement. Do you really have the time and patience to code all of that on your own? You might wanna scale it back and just make a couple basic lines first. Then once you have something playable, you can always add more if you feel like it.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

A problem with big evolution charts is that there is a bottleneck at the Perfect stage. There are less Perfect-level Digimon than Adult or Ultimate, so there has to be some mixing of lines to include them all. Considering Armor and Hybrid Digimon as Perfect may help, but there might be other issues with that.

An addition or alternative to the abilities is to have attack techniques carry over, so the previous forms pass signature moves and such. For example, a Seadramon could keep electric attacks from Betamon, but wouldn't have any if evolved from Swimmon.
    Another thing you might try is temporary evolution like in Masters. The forms throughout the line matter more in that case because some might be better suited to a battle than others. Using the same example, there might be an advantage with Betamon's electric type attacks over Seadramon's ice type ones. Also with that style, you could include different options like Armor or mode change as extra side forms. Varying stats by level probably wouldn't work well with this, though.
    Another option is to have fusion be the way to evolve like in Xros Wars.

Junior Commander
    Definitely don't do static evolution lines like Pokémon. Do consider using the Human and Beast Spirit Digimon from Frontier as additional Perfects to offset the low ratio of Perfect to Ultimate. Do consider using Armor Digimon as regular Adult Digimon to explore new and interesting evolutionary choices.

I support this 100% but to echo Jay Ukyou above, it seems extremely ambitious for one person. Are you sure you have the time and motivation to work on something so expansive?

@Jay Ukyou & AquaVersus
    I understand that it's alot but as I said in my art thread for the game the reason I'm doing the game is because I have my own idea for a monster collecting battling game, except what makes it unique is you can create your own monsters and evolutions, with that just customization is staggering to program. So I'm doing this game as a dry run, to see if I can handle sometime like this but also learn more hands on before attempting me own idea. In comparison this is a much less ambitious project. Plus when I started the greatest challenge was creating models for every digimon I wanted in the game, but now I have models from official digimon games that I can use saving me hundreds of hours of blender lol.
    So I think I will go with the branching evolutions, but want to hear a few more opinions first?

Also I will consider using hybrids but they are among my least favorites and would be a low priority but the ancient digimon are in

i preffer the digimon story line eveloution style as in how you can digivolve them in dusk dawn and cyber slueths.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai32 View Post
    i preffer the digimon story line eveloution style as in how you can digivolve them in dusk dawn and cyber slueths.
    But Dawn and Dusk and Cyber Slueths are on serperate ends of the question I'm asking, Dawn and Dusk the evolutions are linear, only agumon can become Greymon who can only become metal greymon, so on and so forth. In cyber sleuths each adult and higher digimon had the ability to evolve from three different digimon on average. For instances Agumon, Toy Agumon and Hackmon can all become greymon.
    SO which of those two methods do you prefer?

Completely digital MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    branching evolution, but it should be logical
    aka you surely don´t want Greymon turn into Pixiemon or something like that

you can also ask the random commentary about evolutinary stuff for help if you like
    Digimon Split Timeline Theory
    http://i.imgur.com/aXSNbBj.png
    Digimon All Evolution Trees
    http://imgur.com/a/osxRA

I read some of the replies here, and this is just my personal opinion! There's no need to take it as advice if you don't like it. ^^;

I agree with what many people here said, as much as I love huge evolution branches. Since there seems to be less Ultimate/Perfect level Digimon than Mega and Champion, maybe include close to the same amount of the latter as the former? I don't really like static evolution lines either, I feel like Digimon was built upon various branches and lines. But perhaps start out static, then come up with alternate lines as time goes on? I think starting out small than making things bigger as you work on them can help.
    (Man I'm so used to using the English terms for these so sorry if it seems confusing @_@; )

I also agree that each line should make sense! Like reptilians, plants, mammals, birds, angels, ect. If two or more Digimon in a line seem completely unrelated to one another, it's just... Too weird. At least in my opinion. Insects and plants, as well as birds and dinosaurs, seem to be okay because they are closely related to one another. (At least in Digimon canon)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast