With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon story ideas and themes you are sick off, and ones you would like to see

UlforceV-dramon in my novel, he has nickname "Lightning Padfoot". A next as Dynasmon, walking around like a man "Lord Drake".
    Last edited by TMS; 02-27-2017 at 02:25 PM.

I think if they wanted to use the Royal Knights in a new and interesting way, they would need to start by developing each of them as individuals, so their group's power feels -earned-. This would probably require them being the center of the entire story, but X-evolution proves that's kind of terrible.

I propose the solution is to bring it back to what Digimon does best: character drama and the interaction between Digimon and their partners.

The easiest way to do this and keep the Royal Knights lore intact is probably to have the Royal Knights try to tackle some huge threat and then be defeated. Now Yggdrasil is desperate and gives the Digitama of the defeated RK to some new Chosen Children to raise as their partners. It's cliche, but it finally positions both the RK and Yggdrasil as good entities and gives them a chance to develop as unique characters.

Since there are TWELVE of these guys, you could possibly do a storyline where each Chosen Child gets two partners to raise, giving you your new gimmick for the season. From there, standard storytelling tropes write the plot for you. It's up to the actual scenario planner to make it interesting but I think the premise is basic and solid enough.

I think a great way to include the RK in a game setting is having lines for each of the members that can branch off into other evolutions, kinda like the Savers game for the PS2, where you had Slide and Warp evos too, but the final objective is to unlock the RK evolutions of each members. So kinda like an RPG where you start with 13 characters but you only take a few at a time but the overarching goal is too restore the RK so they can impose new laws upon, let's say, a rebooted Digital World.

Ain't got no mojo... H A K A S E's Avatar
    The reason the RKs are almost always against the main kids is because they would be so overpowered if they worked with them. I don't think having them as the partners would be even remotely fair. Even if they started over as child level, they would probably have to keep their memories and that enough makes them quite overpowered at the start given their experience. Also the RKs in general are quite overused.

My favorite alternative to them is the Olympos XII (although the Big Death-Stars) are pretty awesome too. They would be easier to implement since the Olympos XII doesn't have a set backstory to how they were set up (unlike the RKs who have Imperialdramon and Yggdrasil) so maybe if you had them be the partner Digimon and we could see how they reached their places (similar to the beginning of chapter 4 of Tri where they showed the beginnings of the 4 Holy Beasts)

If you plan on using them though,
    Not to mention my second fav Duftmon is always a egotistical asshole, most times bent on genocide, which is bad because he is german in design.
    He was designed after Hitler after all, being an aryan strategist in germanic armor, with attacks whose names translate to "Extinction" and "Brown Fog".Also he's tied with Dukemon as my favorite too

Another thing I'm sick of is Royal Knights thinking so highly of themselves. In many depictions many of them think they are untouchable, and inevitably are astounded when a human partner digimon bests them.
    Although I don't particularly like this either and do feel it would be better without this feature of them, in their defense they are some of the strongest Digimon in the universe, chosen by God himself to protect them. You can see why they would think so highly of themselves.

Next I'm tired of seeing Alphamon the leader of the empty seat, either he was never around before, or he is unknown to the other knights to exist. Let him be a regular leader for once.
    The character he's based off of is Sir Galahan, one of the Knights at the Round Table who came and took the empty seat when he found the Holy Grail (or in this case the X-Antibody). This is almost the defining characteristic for him.

Finally I don't want to see Hackmon struggling to become a Royal knight, trianing under Gankoomon. It's only been done a few times and its tired.
    This is kind of his backstory, although you could just have someone say "this happened" and not show it in the game.
    Last edited by H A K A S E; 02-27-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    キーモン:ブラストモード
    (Kiimon Blast Mode)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Since there are TWELVE of these guys, you could possibly do a storyline where each Chosen Child gets two partners to raise, giving you your new gimmick for the season. From there, standard storytelling tropes write the plot for you. It's up to the actual scenario planner to make it interesting but I think the premise is basic and solid enough.
    There are 13 though. Unless you're not including Alphamon. Or 14 if you have Imperialdramon Paladin Mode (give him and Alphamon to the leader and they'll break even).
    (Kiimon Blast Mode)

I come from the net Master-Element's Avatar
    @Hakase
    I know that those are Alphamon's and Hackmon's back stories but the point of telling new stories is to not reuse the old ones themes and premises. Just because Alphamon has been depicted as the empty seat in every serial so far doesn't mean he has to be forever.
    For instance Alphamon is usually a good digimon, helping out the protagonists even if it means going against the other knights and even Yggdrasil. But in tri he is an antagonist which is not only not like him but goes against his core back story. And I for one like it, even if he is justified in what he is doing for what ever reason, it's not his usual nature to just come in and beat down a bunch of out matched adult level digimon in a some what ruthless manner.
    It's getting out of the box like thatr that keeps things interesting.
    And I was also thinking that Hackmon's origin could just be mentioned, I'm just tired of them showing it the same way over and over lol
    I'm the sprite artist formerly known as Digi-Brigade

I think that, instead of just forgetting those character backstories like Hackmon's training or Alphamon's absence, maybe, those traits could be used to create dynamics between the characters, like, for example, have the other RK give shit to Alphamon because it is never there, in order to create drama and a source of conflict. Instead of trashing these traits, why not play with them?

Well the reason he attacks them is (presumably) because Yggdrasil is ordering him to, and that's not too off from his character considering he is a royal knight (although in X-Evolution he was the one who defied Yggdrasil).
    (Kiimon Blast Mode)

Quote Originally Posted by H A K A S E View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    There are 13 though. Unless you're not including Alphamon. Or 14 if you have Imperialdramon Paladin Mode (give him and Alphamon to the leader and they'll break even).
    I was leaving out Gankoomon since I pictured him in some kind of mentor role, to be honest. But yeah, you could add a seventh Chosen Child with Paladin Mode's child form. Though personally I think THREE Vmons is a bit much. I do kinda like the idea of a Chosen Child taking care of Twin Vmon though...

I don't think the Royal Knights are inherently "too powerful" as partners though. Digimon have always been "as strong as the plot demands". Just write them as less powerful than whatever threat they're facing. The concept isn't difficult.
    And yeah, they may still have their memories and experiences, but that's interesting too. They're dealing with having to start over after at one point being the biggest badasses around. It could be interesting to explore how each Knight reacts to that.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post

For that matter, I'd rather the RKs weren't used so much and instead Ancients and the Olympus 12 (all of them) were used instead. I think the last time Ancients got any love, was in Lost Evolution and I don't think some Olympus 12, like Marsmon have been playable in any games.
    Marsmon was created for Digimon World 3. But I don't think he ever appeared outside of mobile games. I think I agree with pretty much everything you said too, although I love the X Antibodies so much and I don't really like the Deva (except Andiramon and even then I prefer the non Deva one.)

In the last 7 years or so they made so many cool new groups and only really use them for the mobile games, and card games which is really disappointing. Bancho, Three Musketeers, even the rest of the Olympus 12.
    Digimon Masters has quite a few unexpected Digimon... too bad it's a huge pain to get them. :/

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast