With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Watching Digimon Adventure tri. on Crunchyroll on your TV

Watching Digimon Adventure tri. on Crunchyroll on your TV

A day or two before each part of Digimon Adventure tri. has come out I've gotten messages from people wondering how to watch it on their television without plugging a computer into their TV.

I expect many of you have your own setups, but a few of you out there might appreciate a little help.

This will be a short guide to help you if you don't have a setup prepared to watch Crunchyroll on your television.

I'm not being paid to write this, nor was I contacted by Crunchyroll to do this. We've just had a number of WtW members over the past some-odd year who needed help, and I felt a guide would probably be a good idea.

We're sticking to Crunchyroll because while tri. also has shown up on Hulu and Daisuki, both of those are problematic primarily because... they haven't had tri. added until later each time. Also, Daisuki is extremely limited on what TV based devices it will work on (I think just the Xbox One?)

With Digimon Adventure tri. part 4 expected next Friday for us in the west (February 24th) there isn't a lot of time to get you up and running.

The first and most simple thing to check- Do you have something that can already allow you to do this?

Is your TV a Smart TV? Does it have Crunchyroll listed in their app store/platform?

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Do you have a video game system that came out in the last 12 years? Check their digital store, there is probably a Crunchyroll app for it.

If the answer to these is no, then you will need an external media box.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Many people already have one of these, so it's possible you will just need to install Crunchyroll on it. If you have a Roku, Apple TV, or any number of other media box devices, you'll just need to do the same as above. Check the app/platform store and see if it has Crunchyroll in it.

If the answer is still no, you probably want to find something you can buy relatively quickly.

Normally I'd go in depth and explain why you might want a Roku, or an Apple TV, an Android TV device, or one of the other options and the differences between the different platforms (and even different players by the same company) but for the purposes of this guide, we're going to 'will work, will be reliable, will be cheap.' If you buy on your own be aware that not every media box will have Crunchyroll on it.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

For the majority of people looking right now, you want a Roku Express (affiliate link), which is quite affordable at $30. This will connect to any modern TV via an HDMI cable (which is included in the box), connect to your Wi-Fi easily, and will allow you to login to your Crunchyroll account. In addition Roku has one of the largest selections of video apps, so the device will be useful when tri. Part 4 is over.

If you are plugging into an older TV and need composite video, you'll want the Roku Express+ (affiliate link.) Roku left the composite jacks off the base model Express to allow it to be cheaper. Otherwise both Express models are the same.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Getting the device setup will be very easy, and the Roku will walk you through the steps. Once setup, go to their 'Channel Store' and install Crunchyroll. You'll want to go login to the app which will allow you to bookmark shows to watch later, and will give you access to HD feeds if you pay for Crunchyroll.

If you don't pay for Crunchyroll, you'll want to track down a guest pass from a friend right before tri. part 4 is released on Crunchyroll (which they still haven't officially announced yet.) If you skip subscribing or using a guest pass, you will be limited to SD video feeds, and will have to wait to watch tri., as it's on a delay for free users.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

We expect tri. part 4 to show up early on Friday, so if you don't have a setup prepared for Crunchyoll, you'll want to get it ready quickly if you want to watch it asap.

If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask in this thread and we will do our best to help you get setup. You can also feel free to message me on AiM or wherever else if you need more help.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Our family has a Roku Streaming Stick.

Another potential option is hooking your phone/tablet up to your TV. There are Android and iOS apps available, as well.

If your device has an HDMI port, using that would be the easiest method to hook up to an HDMI-enabled TV.

Failing that, that is where an MHL cable comes in handy. I can't make any recommendations, as I don't have a cable yet, but do check reviews.

Edit: Miracast is an option, but it can be rather buggy, and I've found it makes your phone really toasty, so it's not an option I can personally recommend.

PS2MARC: If you want to do your affiliate link magic, go ahead. Edit by Marc- Don't mind if I do.
    Last edited by AmEv7Fam; 02-18-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Add Velocifaptor on Google+ Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel
    For those with a Kodi TV box, I also recall seeing a Crunchyroll add-on for Kodi. Dunno if it's an official add-on though.

Some good suggestions, but let me explain why I didn't recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv7Fam View Post
    Our family has a Roku Streaming Stick.
    At this point the Roku Stick is actually more expensive than getting a Roku Express. If someone needs the guide, I decided to assume they are looking at cost, or just not knowing what to do with it. The Roku Stick is a good option, but you also need to make sure your TV, wherever it is, has the space to allow the stick to work (otherwise you are using an extension cable, etc.)

Another potential option is hooking your phone/tablet up to your TV. There are Android and iOS apps available, as well.

If your device has an HDMI port, using that would be the easiest method to hook up to an HDMI-enabled TV.

Failing that, that is where an MHL cable comes in handy. I can't make any recommendations, as I don't have a cable yet, but do check reviews.

Edit: Miracast is an option, but it can be rather buggy, and I've found it makes your phone really toasty, so it's not an option I can personally recommend.
    I chose to skip these options mostly because I decided to offer one basic option (with a slight tweak for older TVs) that would work for 'anyone' who needed help. In the case of apps and cables, you need to look into what your device actually supports, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocifaptor View Post
    For those with a Kodi TV box, I also recall seeing a Crunchyroll add-on for Kodi. Dunno if it's an official add-on though.
    I'd assume if someone has a Kodi box setup, the guide probably isn't for them. It's an unofficial app, which doesn't mean it's bad, but I'd say Kodi is outside of the scope of this guide.

Basically, I chose to go with simplicity rather than a case by case basis. Regardless of your setup, a Roku Express (or Express+ if your TV is extremely old) will work under almost any circumstance (basically as long as you have a TV, power, and Wi-Fi.)

The Roku Express devices come with all the cables, help walk the person through setup, and are unlikely to have any potential oddities creep up that they then might have to figure out what's wrong.

If someone needs or wants more personalized help to them, they are welcome to post here and ask advice from any of us who plan to keep an eye on the thread, or they can message me if they want to do it privately. Although for tri. Part 4 the clock is ticking...
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Yeah, we picked up our stick a while back, has the MGo button on the remote.

Still, you do have a point about simplicity. Nonetheless, I do have experience with the Crunchyroll Android app (which is on this 13" 1080p Android tablet I'm typing on).

We'll be in Boston for this, so we'll be snuggling up around the laptop in the hotel room.

I come from the net
    Yes. The best way is to use a Wii U. ...No laughing. A PS4 could also work. Though I guess you could use a 360 if you had to but Rokus are good too. I've seen one of those be used for Netflix and it works well.

I just connect my laptop to my TV via USB port and watch on Crunchyroll's website XD!! I use a wireless mouse and keyboard to control everything, so I don't have to get up if I need to use the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Neo View Post
    Yes. The best way is to use a Wii U. ...No laughing. A PS4 could also work. Though I guess you could use a 360 if you had to but Rokus are good too. I've seen one of those be used for Netflix and it works well.
    Why exactly?

The Wii U OS isn't as simple as a Roku.

It also costs more.

The gamepad isn't exactly helpful because most of us have a phone or tablet we could watch it on that likely has a better screen than the Wii U gamepad (to say nothing of the post being specific for watching on TV.)

To say nothing of the Wii U being on it's way out, and the actual CR app itself, from the few screenshots I can find, is based on an older version of the current PS4/CR app.

Of course, if you already have a Wii U then it's perfect to use. But if you don't, I don't see why a Wii U would make a better choice than a Roku Express.

I come from the net
    I was mostly just joking. It's probably be the Roku or something like that. Sorry, I thought the next words worked better. And it sounded funnier in my head. My fault.