With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AppliMonsters Episode 21: The Road to Becoming the Top Idol!

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiKatsura View Post
    Mienumon acts silly, that's true.
    But not only episode 19 had a sense of danger so far. Remember Sakushimon that had no problem on attacking the kids (and maybe it would have been able to kill them). Or remember episode 18 with Resshamon and the train which also could have ended in a catastrophe.
    Three instances is just not enough for me, I guess. Generally the show is no more dramatic than dealing with mischievous children. It's boring and not even particularly funny. As for Mienumon, she gives Izumi a run for her money as most incompetent character in the franchise.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Follow saifors on DeviantArt
    Oujamon is the new Leomon... Place your bets now everyone on when he will die and leave Eri to become Juri 2.0?
    Got excited for a sec when I thought we were going to see StarPlatinumon in this episode.

I like Eri. Its nice to have a brash, sorta hot-headed girl for once. But her character development is the weakest so far. It kinda felt forced and one dimensional. Then again, I don't really watch any idol animes so maybe its more of their thing.

Also, why is Coachmon not cg? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by samazam View Post
    Also, why is Coachmon not cg? Did I miss something?
    Maybe the model was too limiting for the way they wanted to animate him.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

That's an odd reason. Tho I guess it kinda makes sense. I guess the problem is the hugging scene, since he barely did anything else. 3d Coachmon hugging 2d Eri.

Completely digital
    we've just come off a run of episodes where Gatchmon nearly lost his life and Haru was exposed to infection that ended in Leviathan having majority holding of the world's operating systems, followed by an episode where a main character's parent nearly died.

Before that they saved a bunch of people from a friggin train crash

Sakusimon not only trapped Rei and Hackmon, he tried to torture him beforehand, with the episode dealing with kidnapping and extrapolating the effects of relying on digital records and someone being unpersoned.

Scopemon's episode dealt with kidnapping (even if it was a ruse) and use of actual war game tactics and countering a sniper.

There's the constant underlying theme of AI supplanting humanity and the very real effects of and reliance on digital technology.

Just this episode had Mienumon turn from enacting her petty dislike of Eri towards corrupting Weatherdramon to kill Coachmon for betraying her.

Appmon is a good deal more cartoony than past seasons but you can't say there's no stakes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Three instances is just not enough for me, I guess. Generally the show is no more dramatic than dealing with mischievous children. It's boring and not even particularly funny. As for Mienumon, she gives Izumi a run for her money as most incompetent character in the franchise.
    [/QUOTE]

Mienumon has successfully sabotaged L-Corp's competition and succeeded in making its operating system the most used on the planet. She learned from her previous mistake with Copypamon by stealing Weatherdramon's chip before it could fall into enemy hands. She continually has kept the Applidrivers from getting their hands on Sakusimon and Scopemon's chips.

Mienumon is the most successful female villain in the franchise, at this point.
    Last edited by Razorsaw; 02-28-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorsaw View Post
    Mienumon has successfully sabotaged L-Corp's competition and succeeded in making its operating system the most used on the planet. She learned from her previous mistake with Copypamon by stealing Weatherdramon's chip before it could fall into enemy hands. She continually has kept the Applidrivers from getting their hands on Sakusimon and Scopemon's chips.

Mienumon is the most successful female villain in the franchise, at this point.
    That says more about how bad female villains in the franchise are then how good Mienumon is, especially since the only reason Weatherdramon had to be stolen away was because she put him in a position to be acquired in the first place.
    Last edited by Bartz; 02-28-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Completely digital
    So Leviathan should stop using their minions for things because any one of them has the potential to be a 7-code, just like any of the other millions of Appmon in existence? They might as well just stop infecting people while they're at it. Even a random Viramon is just as likely. I guess it's her fault on account of not magically knowing information available to those of us out of universe.
    Last edited by Razorsaw; 02-28-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorsaw View Post
    So Leviathan should stop using their minions for things because any one of them has the potential to be a 7-code, just like any of the other millions of Appmon in existence? They might as well just stop infecting people while they're at it. Even a random Viramon is just as likely. I guess it's her fault on account of not magically knowing information available to those of us out of universe.
    When the reason for why she lost Coachmon and nearly lost Weatherdramon was because she wanted to be petty and mess with Eri, then yes it is her fault and it reflects badly on her for compromising her organization out of stupidity. It would be one thing if she was doing it to further a bigger agenda, but she's not, she's just being childish and it makes her look worse when things backfire on her.

Edit: To better explain myself here, my issue with Mienumon is that her actions do not serve her function as a part of the villainous group well at all. Outside of the sabotage of the competition, she hasn't done much that's major to further the agenda of Leviathan and has instead opted to mess around with the heroic female lead because of pettiness, and not in a way that helps hinder the heroes from fulfilling their job, but in a way that comes across more like a little kid mildly annoying another on the playground. Nothing about pasting Eri's face over celebrities would've done major damage to the character even if it was successful, nothing about Coachmon messing with Eri would've set her back horribly, and none of it effects the group as a whole, it's just silly little actions done to a character that hasn't really shown to be too bothered by it, and that doesn't make her threatening at all. The fact that it has blown up in her face multiple times and in big ways (losing an ally and two 7-Codes) just goes further to add salt in the wound for her as it makes the results of her pettiness come with consequences that set her group back as now she's down a fellow teammate and the heroes are closer to their goals. Granted, she wouldn't have known that the 7-Codes were those two, but the fact of the matter is they were and them being so helped the heroes out in much bigger ways then some other secondary characters have. That's why it's hard to take Mienumon seriously as a villain, she's not given more moments like the sabotage and is instead passed off as comic relief that perpetuates a rivalry with another female character, which always backfires on her and thus makes her look much less threatening then she should be.

It was mentioned before that she's the best female villain, but thinking about it, she reminds me somewhat of Ranamon. Both are subjected to comic relief at times within their groups, are probably the least threatening of them in battle, and are defined as villains through their rivalries with the main female leads. Both also had plans that weren't really the most villainous in practice and come off as petty and said actions don't really stem from the girls being a threat to the goals of their collective groups and more are just for designated girl vs. girl fighting. They do serve that goal sometimes, but their actions are usually just to mess around with the good female character, and through the actions related to that it's hard to take them seriously as a result.
    Last edited by Bartz; 03-01-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Yeah, it is unfair to berate Mienumon for something she would not have been aware of in advance. Hell, the only reason we as the audience know about it in advanced is do to supplementary material like the Chip Dictionary.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast