With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: The Owl of Minerva Theory

The Owl of Minerva Theory

In Digimon Universe, more precisely in Episode 16, we had the knowledge about an artificial intelligence program called Minerva. This same program carried the symbol of an Owl as you can see in the image below.

In mythology there was something extremely similar to this! Read the text below:
    Athena's owl
    In Greek mythology, the Galician owl (Athene noctua) traditionally represents or accompanies Athena, the virgin goddess of wisdom, or Minerva, her syncretic incarnation in Roman mythology. Due to this association, the bird often referred to as the "Athena owl" or "Owl of Minerva" - has been used as a symbol of knowledge, wisdom, insight and erudition throughout the Western world.

As a philosophical metaphor
    Philosophy, like the thought of the world, will not appear until reality completes its formative process, and finalizes it. This history corroborates the teaching of conception, that only in the maturity of reality does it make the ideal appear as counterpart to the real, so as to understand the real world in its substance, and mold it into an intellectual realm. When philosophy paints its ashes into gray, a form of life becomes old, and through the gray can not be rejuvenated, but only known. The owl of Minerva lifts its flight only when the shadows of the night are gathering.

In other words: The Owl of Minerva wants to understand the world so deeply that it intends to wait until it becomes complete. That can connect to the story of Digimon Universe where the Minerva Program wanted to learn more and for this it was released and began wanting to change the world.

But now let's talk about a Digimon that may be attached to that as well.
    Minervamon
    In her description it is said that she is a Digimon who behaves like a child, but who at times becomes uncontrollable and in some ways bad and cruel. We can also notice that Minervamon when it matures becomes Mervamon. Mervamon have a huge snake in one of her arms, resembling the snake that came out from within the Minerva Program in Digimon Universe and became the "Leviathan".

All this seems to be connected to Roman and Greek mythology in many ways. I believe the Minerva Program may have turned into a Digimon, maybe even in Minervamon itself or something.

Follow Tetra Seleno On Twitter
    The symbolism of the owl to represent Minerva was pretty on-the-nose, I thought.

Even if we do see Minervamon / Mervamon in this anime (and I'm very skeptical of that), I wouldn't rule out a re-design, like we saw for Hackmon.
    Check out my Digimon blog for more Digimon-related analysis and commentary.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Possible SPOILERS Ahead

The scene about the emergence of leviathan from minerva was too obvious and just told us who the minerva is. As it was mentioned, minerva is the name of the GODDESS of wisdom who has a pet OWL, so whoever this minerva is, it should be female at first and should has an owl figure as a comrade.

Now, about the flashback in the anime, she is a digimon lurking in the web waiting for an opportunity to defeat leviathan, so she can't be reckless and should act so wisely that leviathan can't indentify her. She has to be expert in "strategy", "tactic" and "disguise".
    It was also shown that leviathan emerged from the left side of minerva. So whoever the minerva and her owl is, they both have to have some kind of defect in their left side. I'm completely sure we have already seen this wise, left defected!! strategist who is secretly guiding the chosen to leviathan. So don't wait for a new mind blowing design. She wasjust there all the time.

Huh. Interesting theory. That would certainly explain Mienumon's "incompetence" in destroying the Applidrivers... She's secretly training them to fight Leviathan!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Huh. Interesting theory. That would certainly explain Mienumon's "incompetence" in destroying the Applidrivers... She's secretly training them to fight Leviathan!
    Interesting theory indeed. Perhap that puppet on her hand is Leviathan's way of controlling her? Or, at least, trying to?

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv7Fam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Interesting theory indeed. Perhap that puppet on her hand is Leviathan's way of controlling her? Or, at least, trying to?
    It's unlikely that leviathan is controlling her. It is in contrast to wht timemon said about minerva waiting for an opportunity to defeat leviathan. Monatana chan could be rather the tool by which mienumon hides her true identity from leviathan. As you know, chameleons are masters of camouflage.
    Of she is controlled by leviathan, then she can't be the one who made the applidrive after being defeated and controlled by leviathan. Mienumon has been definitely helping children in every possible situation. Haru found the appli drive whith the help of cameramon. All seven code appmon and most of app gattai counterparts are managed to be infected by L virus just to be defeated and purified by appli drivers to make the things easier for them. I even think that her last action in episode 21 was because either haru and the rest not still enough experienced or because Rei has not been able to activate revivemon. If she is the real Minerva, she is definitely acting independently and is not controlled by Leviathan. Monatana in my opinion is a form of AI that makes Levithan unable to identify minerva so she could destroy his plans from inside of his organization. A camouflage app.
    Last edited by Libra; 03-02-2017 at 04:01 PM.

I come from the net Seymour Butz's Avatar
    Wow I just got that Minervamon’s feathered ears are owl horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra Seleno View Post
    Even if we do see Minervamon / Mervamon in this anime (and I'm very skeptical of that), I wouldn't rule out a re-design, like we saw for Hackmon.
    Yeah or they’re a little more coy about it, and give us Athenamon to fit with all the Greek nomenclatures for this series. Who would have ever guessed that Minerva of all the Roman gods would be the one with the most forms in a shōnen anime?