With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Other Digimon Series Do you Want to See with a Continuation?

Banned

Which Other Digimon Series Do you Want to See with a Continuation?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Tamers and Frontier getting a revival series, since Tamers had interesting humans and Frontier felt... rushed and kind of incomplete.

I know a lot of people don't like Frontier, but I think if they finally fused both Ice/Wind/Thunder spirits and less lone wolf and goggle boy emphasis, it would feel like a better series. Plus show more Ancient Digimon or have the Ancients as alts or slides of DaiPenmon/JetSilphymon/RhinoKabuterimon. Plus IMO, kids should have been the Earth, Wood, Water and Steel spirits, especially since the Spirits of Darkness were used. Or hell, find a way to have Bokomon and Neamon acquire spirits and have humans, I mean, whose to say the kids HAVE to be the Digimon?

Savers/Data Squad could also have a sequel, where the kids are allowed to visit their Digimon once a year or so (seriously, that series' ending sucked!)

Which series do you want with a continuation?

Completely digital
    Tamers ended so perfectly a sequel series would only taint it. Frontier isn't interesting enough and Data Squad can suck a bag of Dagomon tentacles.

Ironically the series most deserving of a follow up, in my personal opinion, is 02 as a lot of interesting ideas were never explored and yet felt set up like Dagomon, Hikari and Ken's connection to the dark ocean, supposedly the crest of hope and light being super important, Daemon is still alive and was only temporarily taken care of etc

And Tri isn't a follow up to 02 as much as its a nostalgic celebration of Adventure.

Savers definitely! I want to see Masaru rip open time and space from the Digital World to the Real World with his manliness to report that God is back and pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    Ironically the series most deserving of a follow up, in my personal opinion, is 02 as a lot of interesting ideas were never explored and yet felt set up like Dagomon, Hikari and Ken's connection to the dark ocean, supposedly the crest of hope and light being super important, Daemon is still alive and was only temporarily taken care of etc

And Tri isn't a follow up to 02 as much as its a nostalgic celebration of Adventure.
    This...so much! That is my largest criticism of Tri, that it largely ignores anything to do with 02 when there's so much potential they could've tapped into.

Add KaenKazui on Google+ Follow KaenKazui on DeviantArt
    /wondering, whether we had a topic like this already

I have to say: No matter how much I love Tamers, I am not sure, how I would feel about a sequel to it. For once I would be doubtful whether they would actually advance the plot or do something entirely new. Also: The thought of them forcing shipbaiting, like they do in tri.? Thanks, but no thanks. Apart from that: Having written my own sequel to Tamers, I also would simply hate, how much it would clash with my own headcanon. :/ It is a general problem I have with late sequels: Giving fans X years to form their headcanons... Just to go ahead and destroy it.

I could see Frontier having potential for a short sequel. Maybe 3 or 4 movies or 13 episodes. That would be very interesting. Especially if they were to give the children the additional levels.

Savers would be cool, too. Though I think it is the least likely, considering that for the most part Toei seems to ignore the existence of the series. :/

Still. My favorite project would be an anime - and be it just a movie - for Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01.

I agree that Tamers is the best version of Digimon and giving it a sequel could end horribly.

But I've also gotten really used to having the main cast members of Digimon be closer to 14/15 than 10. The fact that only Tamers and Frontier remain with the exceptionally young main cast makes me want to see what they'd be like closer in age to Savers/Hunters/tri/Appmon/Cyber Sleuth/re: Digitize main cast members.

I think this means that the series I most want a sequel for (after Adventure of course, but we have tri!) is... Frontier? I mean, it's not like they can ruin Frontier's status as a masterpiece or anything...

Completely digital Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    I personally think that a sequel for Tamers could just ruin it, as you guys have already pointed out. Especially if they manage things the same way they are doing with tri. so far (nostalgiservice, shipping, everything is a teen drama, please cry and moan with me to avoid feeling out of place, Patamon dying again, oh the Dark Masters again, Piyomon is described as a friendly Digimon-species in Adventure, but wait, in Loss she's suspicious as hell, Taichi's classical clothes plus Hikari's whistle, and oh! more shipping and nostalgiservice, no thanks).

About 02, I honestly agree with you guys, but I wouldn't be able to see more sequels for Adventure, unless they are made by people who actually cares about Digimon, and not just to milk nostalgia in order to make business. I really hope some of this "plot-holes" could be fixed from now on tri., but I personally don't see this coming...

On the other hand, while I think Frontier is a perfect series the way it is, it has a lot of wasted potential to make some kind of a sequel, especially to clear some things up (like why the War between Human and Beasts Digimon broke out in origin) and of course to show the Fusuion Hybrids we didn't get to see (RhinoKabuterimon, JetSilphymon, Daipenmon and Raihimon) and the guys achieving their Ancient Forms (that would be SO epic). In this sequel, I see Takuya's and Tomoki's brothers taking a role, as well as the four children who get lost in the Digital World, taking the Four Spirits left. Following with the great influence of Judeo-Christian mythology in Frontier, the big bad could be some kind of ultimate Monster of Darkness with at the same time, could be related to Lucemon and the Royal Knights in some way or another.

Regarding Savers, I like this series, but honestly I don't know how this story could continue in some form, and in this hypothetical case, I can only thing in Ikuto being the protagonist this time and Chika the co-protagonist or something alike.

Talking about Xros Wars, I have always felt that it deserves a better sequel than Young Hunters is, so in this case, I would argue that a couple of extra OVAs with the original Xros Heart in the front line and the Hunters as secondary characters would be amazing. This way, we could manage to know if Bagramon finally meets with SkullKnightmon and the rest of the main Digimon in the Xros Heart (Ballistamon, Dorulumon, Starmonz and Sparrowmon) could achieve their Chou-Shinka forms like in the manga. In this vein, they could exploit some of the interesting topics both Super Xros Wars and the manga brought to the table, so I can truly imagine an animated Crossover (a well-done one I mean) with some of the Adventure's characters (highlighting Tailmon and Wizarmon), as well as a better explanation of the origin of the Legend-Arms Digimon and the LS-tou Zone (this could include Zubamon too).
    Last edited by Shadow Shinji; 01-12-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Follow Tetra Seleno On Twitter
    I wouldn't want to see a continuation of Tamers for many of the reasons cited by others in this thread -- the ending is great, the series is perfectly fine as it is despite some flaws, etc.

I also wouldn't want to see a continuation of Frontier, not because Frontier is "omg so bad", but I actually really like how Frontier ended. (The show certainly knew how to begin a series and wrap it up.) Frontier is probably more deserving of a reboot to address some of the questions that Shinji described, but a full-blown sequel? Nah.

Savers, you could probably build a series around Masaru's adventures in the Digital World after the ending, but I've heard conflicting reports over the years that Savers underachieved in terms of ratings and toy sales (this old post is one of the few sources I have describing its performance in terms of ratings), so I would be the most skeptical that we'll ever see a continuation of it.

I dunno about XW but a better sequel then Hunters is only fair.

In the end, as much of a homer as I might sound here, I think Adventure / Zero Two are the only series where you can continue to create new content for, because the huge time gap between 2002 and the epilogue leaves a ton of room for new stories to take place.
    Check out my Digimon blog for more Digimon-related analysis and commentary.

Banned
    Thing is, I thought it was lame that the kid who GREW UP with Digimon, stayed in the human world, despite his parents being strangers to him! Plus Masaru staying in the Digital world, despite the fact he's leaving his whole family behind, to have Adventures forever!

That ending was awful and it makes Masaru look like he refuses to grow up and instead just runs away with Agumon. Also, IMO, it's kind of hypocritical that Masaru didn't let his sister have a Digimon, yet in the end of the series, he is the only one who's even ALLOWED to have Digimon!

It's like Ikuto and Masaru decided it's OK to ditch the only families they ever knew, to live somewhere else, without thinking about the long term effects. There should be at least a mini-series with them regretting their actions or something! Fact is, Falcomon and Masaru are dead to the Human World and Ikuto is dead to the Digital World, once both worlds are sealed off from each other.
    Last edited by Takeshi55; 01-11-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Most of Ikuto's digital world family is dead. Losing Falcomon could be traumatic, but half of the show and almost all of Ikuto's character arc was about him learning to view his human friends as his family. Not to mention his, y'know literal biological family being there.

Masaru going to the Digital World in the end is supposed to somewhat parallel his father's life in the Digital World. They both do a lot of good for the Digital World, but it's notable that Masaru chooses this path on his, showing he's grown up enough to make his own decisions and surpass his father. And while he's still a bit young in my opinion, you can argue that Masaru is mature enough by the end of the series to decide when to move out and start his own life wherever he chooses. I don't think this is some self-evident flaw in the series. That's like condemning anyone who decides to move far away from their family when they grow up...

I certainly see your point, Masaru has spent more of his life in the Real World and Ikuto in the Digital World, and I think it was a bold and risky narrative choice to have Masaru give up his life on Earth to live in the Digital World. But I think it's a choice with some literary value to it. And certainly Savers was the only series I could see this ending working for at all, so I'm glad they went with something unique instead of recycling the farewell scenes from Adventure/Tamers/Frontier.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast