With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique Digimon becoming part of the broader canon

Red shirt

Unique Digimon becoming part of the broader canon

I was thinking recently about how certain Digimon from the anime canon came to become part of the mainline canon. In particular, why do Omnimon and Gallantmon exist outside of Adventure and Tamers respectively? We know they do, they're two of the most well known Royal Knights, who seem contractually obliged to show up in everything despite usually being the worst thing about whatever they're in. But if you look at how they both came to be in those respective canons (which is more or less where they debuted) it's hard to see how they could exist as a 'species' and not as a creation unique to those two series'.

Yeah, we all know the real reason is because they're marketable, but I'm more interested in the stretch of logic needed to accommodate them. Take Omnimon for example; he can only exist as a fusion of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. In Adventure, that's because they were the two strongest main Digimon, belonging to the two leads who had dramatic chemistry with each other. Omnimon makes perfect sense as a culmination of that duo. But in other continuities where Tai and Matt don't exist, Omnimon's existence becomes a contrivance. You can't hide his heads for hands, so it either gets ignored or there has to be a pairing of Agumon and Gabumon in every continuity featuring him. Cyber Sleuth is a good recent example of this; the story goes that Omnimon started as himself, but then had to unmerge to enter Eden, leading to the Agumon and Gabumon who were close to each other but didn't quite understand why. Does that mean even ones who start at the top have an Agumon and a Gabumon as their "base"? I know there's a chicken and egg question in here somewhere.

Gallantmon is even worse. Agumon and Gabumon are at least numerous enough that you could justify their fusion being a 'species' rather than an Adventure-specific character. But Guilmon is literally an OC. He was drawn by a human kid and his top form (the one in the Royal Knights) came to exist when he merged with that kid. It's weird that he became his own species, especially when other characters and concepts unique to Tamers didn't. Hell, I'd buy Calumon, the Gnomes and even the D-Reaper as having multiple incarnations across different canons more than I would Guilmon, since they shared a point of origin with the rest of the Digimon in that series, whereas Guilmon is totally unique.

What does everyone think?

Completely digital
    Is there a reason why Guilman can't exist in the null canon and only be an OC in the Tamer canon?

I don't see why their child forms would necessarily have to be Agumon/Gabumon or Guilmon, for starters. Different evolution paths than main series Digimon are a thing. MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon definitely exist outside of Adventure as well, like in V-Tamer, for example (which was obviously before Adventure, so Adventure's Omegamon wasn't even a novelty) where a character has an Omegamon fused from those two. So if anything, if you're curious about Omegamon existing as a species, you really should be questioning how it could exist in Adventure and subsequent universes, not the other way around.

As for Dukemon appearing...it could also very well be a case of having a different evolution path than Tamers, but if we're talking about different universes then its evolution path doesn't even really matter. There might be entire Guilmon villages in Frontier's universe, yet the single one created in Tamers without any contradiction.

Asking why certain species exist in any number is pretty much the same as also asking how any species can have named weapons. How do all Dukemon have Gram and Aegis? Did Tamer's Dukemon 3D print copies of his and sell them through a Chinese black market? It's pretty much the same question and the same answer: it can exist because the different seasons/movies do not have to account for each other.

edit: I'm dumb and forgot timelines. Oh well. The rest of my point still stands, however.
    Last edited by GrungeCat; 12-27-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Didn't Gallantmon already exist in the Tamers canon? If I remember correctly, their Digivices could analyze him, but they only displayed static for Guilmon's other forms.

In the deepest pits of hell, and the deep reaches of space... Occasionally both.
    Follow Xadhoom on DeviantArt Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel
    Yeah, just gotta say this first: You're doing that classic fandom thing, "superficially fusion-oriented Digimon species cannot be the result of single-mon evolution".

Quote Originally Posted by Kataphrut View Post
    But if you look at how they both came to be in those respective canons (which is more or less where they debuted) it's hard to see how they could exist as a 'species'
    With Gallantmon, we see a D-Arc entry for it the way other Digimon do, rather than the error message Guilmon yields, so there the implication is that it is a mundane species.

Take Omnimon for example; he can only exist as a fusion of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon.

Does that mean even ones who start at the top have an Agumon and a Gabumon as their "base"? I know there's a chicken and egg question in here somewhere.
    Dynasmon, Angewomon, MetalGarurumon alone, WarGreymon alone, WereGarurumon and MetalGreymon; Omnimon's evolved from each of those in different publications across the history of the franchise. WG + MG is definitely the most common evolution, and most aesthetically-reasonable, but not the only thing the species can evolve from.

It's weird that he became his own species, especially when other characters and concepts unique to Tamers didn't.
    What're you referring to, because I can't remember any species in Tamers that never appeared outside of it.

If you want some kinda in-universe explanation, then there's the theory that each of the 'miraculous evolutions' are only miraculous once. After being created, the data template for that Digimon exists simultaneously in all the parallel dimensions and now other mundane Digimon can access that form through regular evolution requirements. There's actually a whole game about how evolution lines are literally just data stored on a server, the DS game Digimon Story Lost Evolution, wherein said evolution lines get wrecked by some bad guys and none of the Digimon can evolve normally until the main character starts repairing the lines.

So what about Hybrid Digimon who are attained mostly via the spirits being available as evolutions (Agnimon in Next Order), and you can get Susanoomon, which needed all spirits, in Moonlight/Sunburst via SuperStarmon + Magnamon or Kougomon + Yatagaramon.

The only thing I have to say about Omegamon is that Omegamon can be attained thru various other previous forms and as we've seen in Digimon Story games, you can get eggs with Guilmon and even Dukemon and Omegamon (I think), so, yeah, maybe they spread around as eggs.
    Last edited by Deino; 12-26-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Red shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Xadhoom View Post
    It's weird that he became his own species, especially when other characters and concepts unique to Tamers didn't.
    What're you referring to, because I can't remember any species in Tamers that never appeared outside of it.
    I mentioned three right afterward: Calumon, Digi-Gnomes, D-Reaper. They're not all Digimon 'species' but they're cut from the same cloth meaning they could potentially exist in other canons. Maybe not the latter because it's a Monster-Makers creation (and also too powerful and tonally discordant to exist anywhere else) but the others could have become their own thing.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    The D-Reaper wasn't a Monster Makers creation. It was originally a government program. Not that it makes much difference, since in the Tamers universe most Digimon were Monster Maker creations.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Red shirt
    The way I see things is this.

The Digimon Franchise is a Multiverse, and to quote the Ask Vector Prime Facebook page when the whole "Why are there so many Optimus's and Megatron's in the the TF Multiverse" Patterns Repeat.

It was implied in the statements on that page that the more "effect" an individual had on a timeline the more likely they are to "repeat" in others, appearing as news and distinct individuals that still bear enough resemblance to their counterparts in other dimensions to be recognized as "alternate versions" of the same individuals despite vastly different origins and backgrounds. .

Digimon probably has something similar in that when one member of a Digimon Species appears for the first time the poorly explained Quantum Fuckery that is Interdimensional Transit in the franchise means the possibility that this particular species can under the right circumstances appear anywhere else in the Digimon Multiverse.

Which makes Apocalymon even more fucking terrifying beyond the whole "Reality Warping, Multi Dimension Destroying Suicide Attack, Ability To Create Life, Reduce All Things To Primal Darkness By Touch. an can possibly appear reincarnated as a Perfect after death".

Because his profile still states that the Apocalymon Species "Knows Every Attack".

This has not been retconned, literally every Digimon Attack can be used by Apocalymon.

So this means the moment a new species pops up it might be possible that he gains new attacks.

.........Given Apocalymon's origin as a fusion of Deleted Digimon, including Extinct Species and the Dimensional Fuckery involved with him this is another angle as to why he was so damned crazy in Adventure 01.

He knows there is a Multiverse and New Lifeforms and Species of Digimon are constantly being born, so it is just rubbing salt in the wounds of the "Extinct Species" he is made out of.

But honestly this is all speculation.

We are probably never going to get a good answer on this front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast