With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AppliMonsters Episode 14: The City Turned Into a Puzzle Game!?

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Steam Follow Vande on DeviantArt

AppliMonsters Episode 14: The City Turned Into a Puzzle Game!?

Digimon Universe AppliMonsters Episode 14: The City Turned Into a Puzzle Game!? Puzzlemon's Great Rampage!

Episode thread for Episode 14 of Digimon Universe Applimonsters

Air Time:
    Saturday 7th Jan - 7am (Japan)
    Friday 6th Jan - 10pm (UK)
    Friday 6th Jan - 5pm (EST)
    Friday 6th Jan - 2pm (PST)

If you are not sure of your time then please use:
    www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_JP.aspx

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before episode airs. You can discuss any 'next episode' previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

To join the chatroom to discuss the episode as it airs and after it airs with others either click the chat link at the top of WtW or use your irc program to join.

Server- irc.rizon.net
    Room- #wtw

Update- Episode 14 is streaming freely at TV Tokyo's website for the time being at the time of this edit (9:02pm Pacific, 1/6/2016.)

Raw Japanese with no subtitles, as expected.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/appmon/

This episode was mostly a waste of time. The last one as close to filler and this one was pretty much completely filler. No progress was made. No character actually developed. No 7-code was found, and the villains sit in their office building until eventually make some kind of move... next episode.

So everything just slowed down a lot so all the characters could go "happy new year" and write up some rather predictable new year's resolutions (which would have had some more novelty had the episode actually aired on the new years) before defeating yet another generic infected appmon. And Puzzlemon was certainly pretty generic, his effect was pretty much the same as roleplaymon's except instead of an RPG everything was a puzzle game now. And it was the same puzzle every time. And they didn't even bother fleshing out the rules, it seemed to be some kind of match 4 kind of system but we never see the characters go at it with any kind of strategy, most of the time we're just treated to a jump cut to their failure or success. I also found it rather weird that Puzzlemon's AR field itself was protected by a puzzle. If such a thing is possible why haven't other appmon attempted to lock up the entrance of their field?
    The one good part of the episode was the scene in which everyone just decided to screw solving the puzzle and Eri had Dokamon just smash everything up.
    The rest of teh fight was a joke. With 350 puzzlemon had to be one of the weakest enemies they've ever encountered and it wasn't even able to fight back at all after its puzzle got destroyed. And yet for some reason, even though all of their buddy Appmon should have been able to deal with Puzzlemon on their own even at standard grade, everyone had to get out their Super Grade fusions, probably so that the fusion and apprealize sequences (none were skipped this time) could waste the audience's time.
    So overall, quite the disappointment. The creepy cliffhanger from last episode wasn't even brought up, Watson just played the part of the appmon victim again (after Ai got a bit of spotlight last time, I thought it might have been his turn but no...) yuujin is just gone again. At least a few more exciting things were teased during the last minute, like Coachmon.

And the new ending was... very minimalist. In fact it was entirely a slideshow showing pictures of Eri. The images look nice (I'll probably do clean edits of them once the raw is up on tv-tokyo's youtube channel) and it's not like the first ending had much animation but it all looks weirdly disconnected from the rest of the show, you'd think the entirety of appmon is just a slice of life anime about Eri doing idol things and having random photo shoots.

...also, don't call me Igno.

The ending wasn't really ideal with what I was hoping it to be, but at the same time I thought it was alright for what it was. The song was great, and Eri was beautifully drawn

Red shirt
    I wonder if Astra and Rei will get their own EDs or the ED themes will be mostly random. That said, the heroine getting an ED is pretty common so I'm not surprised Eri got her own.

Added link to the stream in the first post
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Wow this was the most useless episode ever. It wasn't even technically -bad- for an appmon-of-the-week story, but I thought we'd moved past that formula and were going to start seeing plot happening.

The worst part was that, as on appmon-of-the-week story, it's a pretty bland appmon. Like, there COULD have been value in seeing the kids show off how much they've grown since the last time they dealt with run-of-the-mill appmon hijinks. But they didn't even show off any clever strategies, like using the "search" ability, or even Eri's gamepad (which had a perfect chance to get showcased here) or Astra's turntables (might have been harder to work in, but I would have appreciated the return of those little features). Instead they just waste time fusing to Super Grade, showing no creativity at all, and all when Dokamon could have certainly just punched Puzzlemon out on his own.

No 7-code, no character growth moments, no chance for Ai or Watson to get involved (even though something non-combative like solving a game puzzle is a perfect chance to give them a reason to help out), no clever appmon hijinks, no substantial new information on Rei or Mienumon, no followup on the omnimous Applidrive voice, and an egregiously uncreative battle scene. God this is painfully disappointing after the last episode already pulled the "Okay, here's your downtime filler".

The only new things were Watson and Ai getting more than 4 lines of dialogue in an episode, some new stock attack animations for some of the Super Grades, learning that L-Corp is completely a puppet company for the Leviathan appmon, Rei not being friendly with but also not openly hostile to the group, and our first preview of Coachmon (who admittedly is one of my favorite Super Grade designs, but he didn't need to be teased, he could have just showed up next episode, so this is still a waste...)

I hope this isn't a portent of things to come. This backsliding into filler is not doing the show any favors... If I was to be charitable, I would guess that this episode can serve the purpose of "a point in the timeline wherein the creators can squeeze external media like in-universe stories from games/manga/drama CDs/films". A year from now we're all gonna be talking about the appmon movie can only fit in the canon between episodes 13 and 14~

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post

And the new ending was... very minimalist. In fact it was entirely a slideshow showing pictures of Eri. The images look nice (I'll probably do clean edits of them once the raw is up on tv-tokyo's youtube channel) and it's not like the first ending had much animation but it all looks weirdly disconnected from the rest of the show, you'd think the entirety of appmon is just a slice of life anime about Eri doing idol things and having random photo shoots.
    I will love you if you do a clean version of the pics!

And yes the episode was a filler but i was more interested in the ending which i find boring in comparison to the first one but hey, whole ED for Eri is nice for the fans.

Oh yeah, and that pandering fanservice ED was just the cherry on the "terrible decisions" sundae. God this was a terrible Saturday for Appmon...

Junior Commander
    I admit, this episode is the lowest appmon eps. But then I think it's not that useless, I mean, it's a nice recognition towards Messemon (oh god it's almost forgotten) to Puzzlemon, though just repeating the same "no, we just happen to look alike each other" kind of gag.

70% of the whole part are quite cringeworthy, but hey, at least we saw some differences with the AR Field portal, so even an Appmon can block an AR Field with the gimmick.

I think we can't really move away from any filler episode for a 52 episode series. Even things like Frontier and Tamers suffered into fillers in middle half episodes, like that Jijimon Babamon, or the Trailmon racing.

Oh and about the ending, I have no problem. Being slideshows? I think it's just okay with the change of the full detailed official visual art. I mean, remember My Tomorrow from Tamers? Nah, most of the ED animation is also almost zero, with only a pic with limited movement.

About the ending having no connection with the show at all, I think so many shows did that. For example the 1st Gundam Wing ED is pretty much Releena focused, while gundam wing itself is about war.
    Last edited by DATS24; 01-07-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Follow ReiKatsura On Twitter
    I really don't know what everyone's problem is...I liked the episode even if it was a filler episode and even with an old gag in a new episode.

Of course we need fillers. You really can't get enough story in an anime with 52 episodes. Also I don't think the whole episode was a filler. I mean we get to know a new opponent being on Leviathan's side. Hope we get to see more of Coachmon soon.

I don't like the new ED but it's the song I don't like. The pics are okay (even though one of them was sexy o.o). Also I didn't like the first ending song so...well for me this episode was okay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast