With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Appmon General Thoughts

Appmon General Thoughts

I was thinking that there isn't an exact thread with this concept in mind in this subsection, so I'd start one. Plus I figured it might be cool to see how everyone's general impressions of the show evolve as more episodes air. I can go first if you insist.

I am so far loving the show overall. It has only been 4 episodes and there's a significant bias since I (obviously) love Digimon, but I think the show has some really cool elements that I'll hit on momentarily. I primarily am getting the impression that it's a better version of Hunters because, as is, a lot of the concepts are working way better here than they did for Tagiru et al. The AR field is very similar to the DigiQuartz and, to be honest, I didn't even know that the DigiQuartz was a mimic of the real world until halfway through the show. AR field, I can tell right away. That might be my own misgiving but I think it's still worth noting. Both shows are all about collecting new Digimon, but I do like Appmon better in that the Appmon are being cured of a virus when defeated as opposed to being captured solely for pleasure. Haru is more organic of a person overall and, though I hate his hair, I think his constant underlying battle of "do I fight and be a main character or do I sit on the sidelines cause that's what I'm good at?" is more realistic than Tagiru's consistent go-get-em attitude. I think Haru and Gatchmon's relationship has more disagreements than we've seen before and I think that's really cool. Again, more organic.

I think the Appmon chip concept is dope. Good marketing on their part cause I want more of the chips haha. The actual concept for smartphone apps poses a lot of questions to me though that I'd like to see answered. If any app developer can create an app, does an Appmon automatically come with it? In that case, do they have parents? Who gave Haru the Appli DRIVE, and will we ever meet said person? Part of what I liked best about Hunters was the role that the Old Clock Shop Man played and I'm wondering if we're going to see something like that again since there are so many similarities between the two shows.

On the question of how Appmon relate to their specific Apps, I kind of got the impression it worked similarly to how the Digital World's appearance worked in the original digimon seasons. Specifically, when data in the real world started circulating, it gradually made its way into the Digital World and took shape. I suspect that Apps work the same way - probably not 'instantly born', but when a new app is made, it eventually makes its way to the Net Ocean and becomes an Appmon. Bonus points if it becomes an egg first.

Since we've seen that there are Appmon for every 'genre' of App, it's likely that once a new app is made, it follows a predetermined transformation into the correct corresponding Appmon. So when a RPG app is made, it logically becomes a Roleplaymon when its data enters the Net Ocean. When a new mailing service app is created, its data becomes a new Mailmon.

Interestingly enough, even though there are many many MANY apps available these days, there's certainly a lot less unique apps in existence than the population of even a very small nation. This would imply that the population of the Appmon world is pretty tiny compared to the real world. That would make it kind of trivial for Leviathan to take over I'd think. Also, it probably means that the Real World might actually stand a chance against the Appmon World should some kind of interdimensional war take place. I mean, Appmon are certainly powerful individually but humans have sheer numbers on their side!

It's only been 4 episodes but there's already a lot of interesting implications in the show. Even though it's trying to distance itself from Digimon, its pedigree is still showing through clearly.

Follow amozu16 On Twitter Add amozu16 on Facebook Add amozu16 on Google+ Visit amozu16's Youtube Channel
    Even though it's trying to distance itself from Digimon, its pedigree is still showing through clearly.
    And that's really the key here, isn't it? Striking that essential balance between novelty and familiarity, that IMHO, they're doing fine with so far

Man, it just occurred to me that this is the first time longest (I forgot about Thomas) we've had to wait for the other original main characters to show up in the show. Didn't think much of it at first, but here we are, episode 4, and it's still only Haru who's appeared. Eri made a brief cameo (if you can even call it that), and it's only in episode 5 that just Eri is being introduced. And that's just Eri, there's still no sign of Asuka anywhere. Not that I'm complaining, but it's something I found worth noting.

Man, Haru's smart, like really smart, I have to admit, I did not see that coming. I knew he wasn't gonna be one of the more athletic types like the others (except Takato), but I had no idea that he'd actually turn out to be a bookish nerd, that was also a very interesting dynamic.

I'm really curious about how Eri and Asuka will use their Appmon's gimmick(?), if at all, something in the vein of Gatchmon's search gimmick.
    Last edited by amozu16; 10-26-2016 at 11:12 PM.

So here's one general theory about the direction the show could take solely based on a few scenes and half understood lines from the latest episode:
    Eri's Idol group "Appliyama 470" seems to have some kind of connection to the "L Corporation". Just from the Logo it's fairly clear that they are connected to leviathan, either they are simply a front for Leviathan's infiltration of the human world, or they are a corporation involved with Leviathan's creation. Either way they are probably bad news and I bet that the people in suits from episode 4 are working for them.
    Now if the "L Corporation" is managing "Appliyama 470" (again I'm not sure about the actual line in the show) I predict the following: The whole Idol business is a front for something else. The reason why the group has such an insane number of idols and why all of them seem to be contracted to advertise a specific app is because Appliyama 470 is in actuality a kind of trap designed to lure appmon to the idols representing their apps, with the goal to mass produce AppliDrivers who can then be controlled by Leviathan (which might be important since Episode 4 implied that you need someone with an AppliDrive to fuse appmon; Simply infecting them with the L virus might not be sufficient for that).
    Or in the case of leviathan being an accidental creation of the L Corporation they might want to create an army to fight him... anyway I'm pretty certain about them wanting to partner their idols to appmon.

...also, don't call me Igno.

I got to wondering, how did the appli drives get to the machines? It almost seems as if they were pre-fabricated, placed by somebody deliberately.

The fact that they pointed out that the appli drives might be damaged by liquids has me believing that it will become a very important plot point some time...

Honestly, the drink spill seemed more like an excuse for Gatchmon to talk about how special and rare AppliDrives are, before they immediately see another one on TV.

Add KaenKazui on Google+ Follow KaenKazui on DeviantArt
    It kinda fits my world view perfectly, that the company behind an idol group is the big evil master mind behind all the bad things happening. o.o

Junior Commander
    Follow Emperordramon On Twitter Follow Emperordramon on DeviantArt Visit Emperordramon's Youtube Channel
    Hrm... Dressmon being Dokamon's first enemy got me thinking. Dressmon is the Standard level for Beautymon, who is required for Dokamon's final form. And the first enemy Gatchmon fought(in Ep1) was Messemon, one of the Standard forms for Charismon, who is required for Gatchmon's final form. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'mma make a prediction for Musimon's debut. The enemy appmon will be either Denpamon, Onpamon, Jammingmon, Gengomon, Lightmon, Drawmon, Dougamon, Roamon, or Effecmon. I know it's sort of a wide selection, but hey, there are a lot of Standard Appmon.

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by KaenKazui View Post
    It kinda fits my world view perfectly, that the company behind an idol group is the big evil master mind behind all the bad things happening. o.o
    ...Aren't all companies behind idol groups evil? heh heh heh

Really though I enjoy this show. It's different but still very similar. I kind of hope this comes to the US.

Well i think it a weird series, and i know they were going for something completely different but it doesn't feel like digimon. The cg i dont really like, the evolution scene look kinda boring, the fact that they mention their school grade but not once we see these kids in school, not realistic. To be honest xros wars had better structure than this series. Digimon adventure started on summer vacation, digimon adventure 02 while they were in school, digimon tamer took place in the real world but they show that the children goes to school, frontier im thinking in the summer, data squad is a great story but wasnt realistic, xros wars happen during the summer. And is it just me or is going to haru and gatchmon defeating all the main bad guy while the other chosen dont do anything. I miss how digimon use to focus on all of the chosen children like adventure, like how angemon defeated devimon, everyone defeated venom myotismon, mangaangemon did gate of destiny on piedmon. I want every chosen children to be important and not weak

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast