With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do people bash "Picklemon" as a name? + Share other Reference Book "fails" ITT

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfTartarus View Post
    Eldradimon instead of Eldoradimon
    You didn't watch Data Squad, did you? That's its official dub name in that.

AncientKazemon instead of AncientIrismon
    Again, official dub name courtesy of the card game that was released during Frontier's dub.

AncientTroymon instead of AncientTrojamon
    You do know that the Trojan Horse was named after the city of Troy right? Also, its official Japanese name is AncientTroiamon not AncientTrojamon.

Sakuyamon Maid Mode instead of Sakuyamon Miko Mode
    The term Miko is commonly localized as Shrine Maiden since that is what a Miko is.

Dragomon instead of Dagomon
    Once again, official dub name this time from the original card game.
    Last edited by Chimera-gui; 02-27-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimera-gui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfTartarus View Post
    Eldradimon instead of Eldoradimon
    You didn't watch Data Squad, did you? That's its official dub name in that.

AncientKazemon instead of AncientIrismon
    Again, official dub name courtesy of the card game that was released during Frontier's dub.

AncientTroymon instead of AncientTrojamon
    You do know that the Trojan Horse was named after the city Troy right? Also, its official Japanese name is AncientTroiamon not AncientTrojamon.

Sakuyamon Maid Mode instead of Sakuyamon Miko Mode
    The term Miko is commonly localized as Shrine Maiden since that is what a Miko is.

Dragomon instead of Dagomon
    Once again, official dub name this time from the original card game.
    A maiden is not a maid. Those words mean two very different things.

And I believe this thread is for Digimon localization in general, so even if some names are official dub names, they can still miss the mark and be downright incorrect. SlushAngemon, anyone?

Some of these mistakes are so funny...

Samudramon instead of Gaiomon in Next Order, because... Gaiomon is a dramon now? The name completely contradicts lore, since SamuGreymon would have made more sense (then again, even Greymon is a corruption).

I think that BeelStarmon/BelleStamon sounds more like female equivs of the Starmon line and I'd find it a shame if it doesn't end up being SuperStarmon's alt Ultimate. I mean, since he already shares an Ultimate with Cyberdramon...

Some Digimon in Digimon Story have two names, like Devimon being Devimon and Debimon and Gazimon also being called Gajimon.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    The thread is for "official" romanizations (and localizations, I guess? I'm all for complaining about dub names).

"Maid" can be taken to mean "maiden," but it's not a sense that's used much anymore. It sounds old-fashioned.

Belle Starr's surname was spelled with two Rs, so that I generally go with BeelStarrmon for the Digimon. The name as spelled in the reference book is rather misleading. Incidentally, I don't really see any thematic connection between SuperStarmon and BeelStarrmon. DarkSuperStarmon, maybe.

Finally, as I've explained elsewhere, Debimon and Gajimon are the Japanese pronunciations of Devimon and Gazimon. The Digimon World DS profiles were just translated extra lazy.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    "Maid" can be taken to mean "maiden," but it's not a sense that's used much anymore. It sounds old-fashioned.
    I imagine that the more antiquated usage of "maid" was likely do to Sakuyamon being a representation of old traditions in a modern age. I personally would've preferred using the name Maiden Mode as to avoid confusion with housemaid or maidservant.

I also prefer using BelleStarrmon since that name makes the most sense to me.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123