With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the UK being neglected?

Ain't got no mojo... TheBiggestDreamer's Avatar

Why is the UK being neglected?

Even now Part 1 isn't on Crunchyroll yet and Part 2 hasn't been announced for the UK either. Does anyone know what is happening behind the scenes?

As has been said on many occasions, the UK streaming market suffers due to an inherent oddity in their market (there are other reasons, but this is the one easiest to break down and explain.)

It's streaming market is to small to be treated large. So things like advertising and subscription streaming aren't necessarily as mature as some of the larger markets.

It's streaming market is to large to be treated small. It's not small enough for it to be treated like a 'small market', because there is in fact money to potentially be made.

So you end up in a case where a title may still cost a decent chunk to license or sub-license for the UK because it's considered a 'major market', but where the market itself isn't mature enough to get the expected profit based on what you paid to get into it.

It's sort of like the issue that comes up in the film industry nowadays. The only films that get made are generally quite small, or SUPER HUGE. The films in the middle rarely get made.

It's not a matter of being neglected, it's a matter of it not necessarily being the easiest to maximize profit.

But that doesn't necessarily help our UK friends to know it isn't purposeful neglect.

There are indeed tons of oddities regarding the UK market, but the tide IS turning in certain ways.

And just to point out.

It's more visible to us because we are, by and large, an English speaking site.

The UK (and Scotland, Ireland, etc.) is not unique in this regard.

You're just one of the few English speaking countries, so it's abnormally easy to see the issues for us.

I mean, we know the German version of Animax licenses tri. for them, but as an example...

Who knows who has tri. for streaming/digital in France?
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I know the last post is a few months old, but it pretty much answers any question I had on the subject. Thanks Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Tsurugi View Post
    I know the last post is a few months old, but it pretty much answers any question I had on the subject. Thanks Marc
    No problem.

There are various ways the US market gets a bit screwed up because we are to 'large', but I kept it to the UK.

As a small example, the UK is to small of a market for Aniplex to come in and bring the 'Japanese business model' of selling a handful of stuff at premium prices.

So in the UK for example, Kill la Kill is released as 'any' anime is at a price you would recognize as 'normal'.

In the USA, with Aniplex doing it via their American subsidiary using a Japanese business model plan, just getting Kill la Kill on basic DVDs costs $150, with only a handful of stores even online stocking it.

And if you want Blu-rays it's $200.

And those are at current discounted prices far after releases... and not including the limited edition version.

The UK version the BDs are easy to find for 20 pounds or less each.

Even with the current hit the UK pound has taken, those normal BD's in the UK sell for the US equivalent of under $80.

We just don't tend to discuss the non Digimon examples often on this forum because we are very focused on Digimon.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Add Velocifaptor on Google+ Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel
    You think YOU have it bad. India hasn't got anything since Death Generals, and even the final episode was never aired. We've had to deal with censorship so atrocious, it would make America hang its head in shame. And for what it's worth, the Hindi dubs that we have got, are shitty as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeathspider View Post
    You think YOU have it bad. India hasn't got anything since Death Generals, and even the final episode was never aired. We've had to deal with censorship so atrocious, it would make America hang its head in shame. And for what it's worth, the Hindi dubs that we have got, are shitty as fuck.
    You have to remember UKers have it bad because 'on the surface' it appears like they should just get it.

Dub is done, production is finished, etc.

They look across the pond and the USA appears to just 'get' stuff.

In the case of India, it's an entirely different market that does it's own stuff, so when something goes wrong there, you can look and point at the issue.

UKers have to look and wonder what's going on.

It looks like this is finally being averted. Manga Entertainment UK is releasing the Movie on both DVD and Blu-ray.

About time too...

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Steam Follow Vande on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
    It looks like this is finally being averted. Manga Entertainment UK is releasing the Movie on both DVD and Blu-ray.

About time too...
    Yeah we did a new topic on this, along with Season 1 and 2 DVDs

When it comes to Digimon, the UK has always been treated badly post-Tamers.

First of all, we didn't even get Frontier and Savers/Data Squad came way later that it should have.

Second, none of the DS Digimon games were released here, so the only Digimon Story game we get is Cyber Sleuth.

Third, Digimon only really airs on Kix now, a 100% syndicated channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi55 View Post
    When it comes to Digimon, the UK has always been treated badly post-Tamers.

First of all, we didn't even get Frontier and Savers/Data Squad came way later that it should have.

Second, none of the DS Digimon games were released here, so the only Digimon Story game we get is Cyber Sleuth.

Third, Digimon only really airs on Kix now, a 100% syndicated channel.

I didn't know we missed out on Frontier, what a disgrace. No wonder I didn't remember it as well. At least we got Cyber Sleuth and Next Order.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast