With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 115158596061

Thread: [Digimon Podcast] Lost In Translationmon: Episode 95 and AppliEpisode 24 now out!

One of the few things I ever give Frontier credit for is world-building. But yeah, this movie muddies that up a lot. What Chakmon says about Frontier's Ancient mythology is also spot on. It makes so little sense for the Digital World to even HAVE an 'Ancient' mythology the same way the real world does. Especially since time clearly runs much faster in the Digital World and huge sweeping changes to the world can happen just by editing data rather than epoch-spanning Real World forces like erosion or natural selection.

You'd think that mythology in the Digital World would be something more 'digital' in nature. Update patches or server changes or defraggings. Or the invention of A.I.
    Basically I'm saying that Appmon is brilliant and we should just watch that instead of bothering with Frontier.
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Completely digital Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    In my humble opinion, you have missed the main point of the film, which is basically a better and comprehensive explanation about the main predicament in Frontier's background. When the guys arrive to the Digital World, they are told that this troublesome about the two factions, Beasts and Humans, existed, but they hadn't experienced its consequences in person until the OVA, which in fact makes kind of logic, since the Wandering Island is described as an erratic part of the Digital World, so it is indeed lost in space-time and probably disconnected from what may happen in the rest of the DW. Regarding the mythology in Frontier, I don't really know why you find any wrong issues with it, I mean yeah it's sort of based in human mythology but what about that!? Adventure's mythology is based on the Apocalypse, the second OVA of Adventure 02 too, Royal Knight's mythos are founded on Arthurian Legend, and a large etc. which, in the end, are concepts invented by humans, and I haven't seen anyone complaining about that...I think on the other hand, that Frontier has one of the best developed mythologies in the franchise, cause it's not necessary to elaborate too much to understand its origins: it's just a reflect of what happens every day in our society. Why do white people started to despise black people and viceversa in origin? You won't find any logical answer to it. Humans are afraid of what's different to what they consider "normal", and start to charge against that, paradoxically because of the fear of being them the ones that are discriminated ulteriorly. And that's the same exact reason why all this predicament started in the past times of Frontier, and I think that is very brilliant and relatable. Obviously, in all this kind of ideologies, there's a charismatic leader who manipulates the masses (Lucemon in the case of Frontier, while you have other examples in the real life such as Hitler or more contemporary, Trump). You can argue that Murmukusmon it is too in the film of Frontier, but not exactly. While Lucemon firmly believes in its own ideals, Murmukusmon just take advantatge of the situation for its own benefit. That's why I think Frontier is so well made and relatable indeed.

However, I agree with you in some key aspects. For example, I totally think that the criteria used to classify Digimon into Humans or Beasts can be sometimes vague...For instance, I would definetely say that Shutsumon looks more humanoid than Blitzmon, but that doesn't seem the case...

On a side note, please let me say you that comparing the love and dedication invested in this film with any Pokémon related film (unless you're talking about the very first films), it's kind of insulting in all honest...
    Last edited by Shadow Shinji; 03-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Whatever Frontier's faults, I don't have any problem with the ancient history aspect. Adventure and 02 did the same thing in a less comprehensive way.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings and The Silent Garden & Darker Places
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Twilight (NOT Stephanie Myers-related) [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Completely digital Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Whatever Frontier's faults, I don't have any problem with the ancient history aspect. Adventure and 02 did the same thing in a less comprehensive way.
    The only thing I would complain about Frontier's ancient history, is that I miss some kind of explanation about the Ten Legendary Warriors's origins. I mean, as far as we know, they represent all the different kind of species of Digimon that existed in that era, and they sealed away Lucemon when he became a tyrannical despot, but maybe it would have been interesting to know if there's any kind of "entity" that watched over the Digital World and potentially chose this Ten Digimon to be its protectors, same as Homeostasis in Adventure-verse. Regarding the information from the official profiles, Huanglogmon "is an emperor Digimon who is enshrined in the center and rules the "world", that was sealed in the deepest, darkest place within the earth by an angel Digimon that descended in the distant past (Lucemon)", so maybe here we have some sort of explanation? Also, if we take into account the manga of Digimon Xros Wars, which is canon in Frontier's continuity, since it is explicitly mentioned that Tactimon's sword is made of Frontier's Susanoomon's ZERO ARMS-Orochi, we know for sure that both Homeostasis and Yggdrasill may be relevant to every series in a greater or lesser extent. Maybe we get some answers in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    ..since the Wandering Island is described as an erratic part of the Digital World, so it is indeed lost in space-time and probably disconnected from what may happen in the rest of the DW.
    I like this idea about the Wandering Island being "lost-to-time" Interesting concept. Shadow Shinji may have won me over a bit with his argument, but I'm with Jay Ukyou on having update patches, defragging (YES!) or server changes develop a more interesting "ancient history" for Digimon. These histories can be used in any fantasy world, and having something a little more distinctly computerized would make the DigiWorld feel a bit more unique. And yeah, every other season of Digimon follows similar RealWorld mythos in building their histories, but that just makes me see that the DigiWorld and Digimon were created for humans and this story is a story told by and for humans, seen thru our eyes and our histories, and the DigiWorld could be so much more unusual and amazing... and potentially confusing...

I'm definitely not hating on Frontier... it's actually my favorite season, but this Human vs. Beast Digimon thing does not draw me into the story at all. And I totally agree Shadow Shinji, an explanation on the origins of the Legendary Warriors would be awesome. I actually kind of like the Legendary Warrior story... I'm still not sure how I feel about the kids digivolving into the actual warriors (or their spirits or whatever... that never develops or gets explained very well...) The Frontier history is interesting, I just wish it didn't hinge on this poorly defined Human vs. Beast Digimon concept. Digimon are WAY more complex than that! And the only Pokémon movies I would ever compare to anything are the Pokémon the Movie and Pokémon 2000 (they both were good!).

Appmon is great! but I still love Frontier...

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    I'm seeing comparisons with the Pokemon movies in terms of how the ancient mythology is handled, but I saw it as kind of an amusing reversal of that plot element. Pokemon 2000 had the whole "chosen one must do such-and-such to bring about peace among these legendary creatures" shtick, but in the Frontier movie they immediately assume it's a prophecy that will bring peace to the island, until they learn what the text actually says and it's more like "Oh wait this is a very bad idea ABORT ABORT oh crap it happened anyway". I can see why the comparisons are being made but the way it was handled here was much less predictable and I have to give the writers credit for that.

I like the way D'arcmon and Hippogriffomon were handled but this was something that I kind of already knew about going into the film. I've read them up on the Wikias beforehand (mainly for fanfic purposes, i.e. working them into lines), so I knew they were in the film but I didn't learn what part they played in the story. Knowing the relationship between them in advance, the twist of them being one and the same and also the villain wasn't as effective to me as I would have liked. However, learning that they were actually Murmukusmon the whole time was a surprise. Rather than Slide Evolution, it turns out he has the ability to disguise himself as whatever Digimon he wants. You could say that he's basically Ditto on crack

My only issue with this movie was how the kids almost immediately took sides and turned on each other. You'd think they'd know better going into this, but I guess that conflict is there for plot convenience and the TakuyaXKouji fanservice or whatever. That aside I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm sad that the rest of Frontier is probably not going to live up to this one high point.

In my humble opinion, you have missed the main point of the film, which is basically a better and comprehensive explanation about the main predicament in Frontier's background. When the guys arrive to the Digital World, they are told that this troublesome about the two factions, Beasts and Humans, existed, but they hadn't experienced its consequences in person until the OVA
    And that's the problem. This backstory conflict was very quickly glossed over in episode 2 or 3 and the movie is so far the only time it's been brought up since. I'd forgotten there even was a Humans VS Beasts conflict before watching this movie.

You bring up some good points about the Frontier mythology and how it plays into this film, but at the time of writing I'm 18 episodes and a movie into this series and I've seen very little reference to any of it.

That's why I think Frontier is so well made and relatable indeed.
    To each their own, but I vehemently disagree. This is my first time watching Frontier and I've been mostly disappointed so far. I've finally given this show a chance after putting it off for so long, and I want to like it. But for the most part it's been a soulless trainwreck* and I don't have much hope for the rest of the series

*no pun intended

Junior Commander
    Yeah... My general thoughts on Frontier is that, when it's good, it's actually quite good. But when it's not... It's pretty bad. Not 02 levels of bad, but still, not all that good. I was trying to watch it along with the podcast since I've really only watched it all the way through the one time, I think, and I actually love the music and there are some REALLY good parts, but I think listening to May and Jay suffer through it is gonna have to be enough for me. Maybe I'll start watching along when things pick up, which should be soon (and then stop watching when things slow back down, and then maybe start again at the very end)

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Episode 95 - Cooking Mamon

We’re back on the main series of Frontier and we’re welcomed back by the loss of everybody’s favourite life-hack guru, Arbormon.
    May and Jay also get very, very hungry.

Linkdump

You can find our weekly poll here!

Screenshots of the Week
    May
    Image Thumbnail
    Jay
    Image Thumbnail

Weekly Wonders
    May: Genki Text Books and Lonely Island’s Semi Colon
    Jay: Tyranny

Also apparently I forgot to post about last week's episode of Appmon - we covered it, I just didn't post about it on With the Will.
    AppliEpisode 23 - Tentacle Simulator
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast

It's too bad that the neologism "life hack" didn't exist back when Frontier was getting dubbed. That would have been the perfect way to convey his schtick. Back then, we had to use the word "advice". It just doesn't carry the same slang charm as "life hack."

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Yeah I feel life hack carries a lot more weight to it. It feels like beyond advice. It's not just life advice, it's so good it's a LIFE HACK!
    A double hack, or triple hack...
    Anddd because I'm so naturally gifted at segues...here's our latest AppliEpisode!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AppliEpisode 24 - Hold The Door
    Just so we're clear: Elijah Wood is probably not Ewan Mcgregor. Probably.

Apologies for the cicadas in the background. They stopped as soon as we finished recording.

Here's our AppliRanking!
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 115158596061