With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 74754555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: [Digimon Podcast] Lost In Translationmon: Episode 95 and AppliEpisode 24 now out!

Frontier 11 & 12

The funniest screenshot was definitely the cartoon shot of Sepikmon knocking Takuya over the head with his boomerang and Takuya's head bobbling and seeing stars. I can't believe the dub cut that scene out! It was hilarious. As an alternate, I would choose this as my screen shot of the week...

Tomoki and Takuya's faces are hilarious when Shamamon tells them they're both in particular danger and unlucky. The reaction is so perfectly drawn, and right after an even better sarcastic face where they both gave those "do you believe this stuff??" looks. The whole bit is so awesome! The exaggerated cartoon faces are so well done in Frontier!

What I like about Episode 11 is the randomness of seeing Digimon in the fortune-telling village. We saw Doggymon! The use of magical powder by Grottomon definitely seemed out-of-place a bit. But then again, Vamdemon was a digital vampire, so who's to say magical dust is crazy...? The vibe I always get from Frontier is: Digimon is now an established series, with 3-seasons of an anime under its belt, not to mention a video game, card and toy lines of product, defining it. Frontier always felt like someone completely new, who knows nothing about Digimon just came into Toei, and they said, here's an inventory of all the Digimon. The premise is kids traveling to a Digital World on an adventure. Write us a story. And that was it. I feel like the writers have no knowledge of the previous seasons. Like did they know Togemon was Mimi's digivolved partner when they decided to use a Togemon as the schoolhouse teacher in Episode 8? Did they know Vademon's past with Koushiro, stealing his curiosity, when they made Vademon a fortune teller, or did they just look at the inventory and say "he looks like he could have some psychic abilities, let's use him." That randomness permeates this entire season, but did give us a DigiWorld with three colored moons and a monorail Trailmon system that defies gravity and logic! And it is a reason I love this season.

I've always loved Frontier for its cartoonish elements, but on this watch, with May and Jay's analysis, I'm really seeing how lazy and sloppy the writing is. It's one thing for things to be resolved a little too conveniently but quite another for that resolution to be contradictory to previously established realities. I still love the settings, animations, gags, characters, music, OP/ED, and those stand-alone settings and villages that conveniently set the stage of each episodic story. And I still have it in my head that Tomoki, Kouji and Takuya do a fair bit of growing and maturing as the story goes along, I will be so disappointed if this is all my nostalgia glasses and not real. Tomoki's growth and fair casting for his age is what made him my favorite DigiDestined of all. You can argue his dumb action of trying to walk the rail home in Episode 1, but I thought it was fitting for a rash decision an upset kid might make who is unwillingly away from his home and family. To just say, well screw this, I'll walk back the direction I came... not well thought out... but Tomoki doesn't take a long-view of things (yet.) The only question I always had was, did Tomoki get bullied all the way down the elevator in the RealWorld and onto the train platform?? that's a lot of bullying! I just hope this "growth and change amongst the boys" torch I carry for Frontier isn't all in my head, but is a noticeably reality by the end of the season. Tomoki, Kouji and Takuya are favorites of mine. izumi and Junpei...? meh.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Glad you liked the mashup!

So, last week I said this:

Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    To me, it appears that the Beast Spirits are going to be more powerful than the Human Spirits - but at the cost of being much more difficult to control.
    ... And alas, that was not to be. The Beast Spirit is out of control for one episode and then perfectly fine the next time they use it. Oh well. At least Vritramon's design is more interesting than Agnimon. And I can't see them doing this again when Tomoki gets his Beast Spirit as that would basically be a repeat of Episode 9.

Speaking of Vritramon, I'm probably in the minority in that I don't mind BurningGreymon as the dub name. He's a dragon/lizard/dinosaur thing, uses fire attacks, and he's got the trademark tri-horned helmet. He's unmistakably - and deliberately designed as - a Greymon. At least, he has a stronger resemblance than SkullGreymon does. And designwise he's basically an AncientGreymon that's standing up.

These episodes were OK, even if the other characters were very blatantly and deliberately written out of action - even Izumi falling into the mudpit with the others, even though she's already lost her Spirit and wouldn't have been able to do anything in the battle anyway. And then of course she doesn't get her Spirit back even when Takuya had a perfect opportunity to snag it back from Grottomon. That is frustrating, but at the same time it was incredibly satisfying to see Grottomon's stronger form confiscated from him. I hope we don't see him again for a while, as a villain he was getting kind of stale and irritating.

Regarding the poll: I have to disagree with the script as an option. Voting that would imply that the script even has any spirit to begin with
    Last edited by wildwing64; 02-20-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Appmon 19

I am so loving all these holiday-themed episodes! Can't wait for White Day!
    May, can we still discuss Applimon here, or should we not? Should we have a separate thread?
    Too hard to hold in....

Waffles!?!
    Yuujin!!!
    An American map with correct locations! (San Jose/South Bay!)
    Musimon!!! Noooooooo!!!

Next week an Astra-heavy episode! SO PSYCHED!!

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Follow wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    I haven't commented on Appmon much, but I have to admit I'm really enjoying it so far. In a way it "doesn't feel like Digimon", but then that's also how I felt about Xros Wars at the time because of the slightly different approach and these radically different character designs that we've now gotten used to. At the same time, as much as I love older series like Adventure and Savers, it feels like it's doing things that Digimon should have been doing all along. For example, an Appmon that can take control of security cameras? An Appmon that, unlike his namesake Digimon, actually does some hacking? An Appmon whose special ability is to Google it? That's awesome!

Favourite Appmon so far is Raidramon, as he appeals to my old school tastes in Digimon design. Favourite character is the afro guy who cries "NOOOOOO!!" every other episode XD

I still don't like Applimon, it hasn't clicked on me but I don't want to rant about it again. But, credit where credit is due, episode 19 was really good. I still have some minor complaints about it, but I'll hold off on making them.

On the other hand, today I finally beat Digimon Card Battle(for the PS1), making through the cheating last boss. (it's a card game but the last boss has the power to alter the order of his deck and not shuffle it ). Overall, I'm very impressed by the quality of this overlooked game, an example of how to build a simple yet engaging game for a console. It's built from the ground-up with the idea that everyone will see the same screen and provides an extra layer of interactivity by including what is basically a round of rock-paper-scissors with the attacks every turn. Additionally, every digimon has a 3d model with 3 different animated attacks. Pretty fun stuff!

On tamers, although I haven't yet seen the episode when Izumi gets her spirit back ( I assume she does, I'm watching this season blind with the podcast), I think it's hilarious and sad to compare what she did while spirit-less and what Tomoki did. Izumi drove the team apart, decided to go with the majority vote of ignoring her situation and then her story kinda guided the plot to Shamamon, that could as well be someone they meet in their way to the forest terminal. In the meantime, Tomoki only one episode without his spirit, and in that meantime showed bravery , stepping up to a very dangerous "bully" while defenseless and triggered Takuya's control over his beast spirit.

Also, I'm surprised nobody mentioned how Tomoki's speech to Takuya was mostly based on repeating what Takuya said to him, while he was asleep. It was stabilished that Tomoki was "having a nightmare" while attacking his friends, and then shouldn't have even listened to what Takuya said to him in the first place! It could be rationalized away with a few logic leaps, but nothing in the actual show.
    Last edited by fexmeif; 02-23-2017 at 03:00 PM.

I'm personally with May on the idea that Yuujin is too obvious to actually be evil.

Mienumon is all about that market share, best businessmon! (Love that pun.) It's notable that they mentioned back in episode 12(?) that Leviathan was trying to make the Real World into how the AR Field looks for some reason. So who knows what Mienumon is going to do now that she's richer than Bill Gates~
    But it does imply that the L-virus infected Digimon were probably part of the plan to make the world look like the AR field somehow?

Eri actually physically beat up some Viramon. How cool was it to see her actually use that martial arts training? Even in the background. Eri is now the physically most effective female human character in the franchise.

It is kinda worrying about how none of the other Ultimate grade forms are gonna be able to live up to Globemon's performance. But at the same time, I love how episode 19 is basically a huge callback to Our War Game. Maybe Entamon will be a callback to Hurricane Touchdown? ;3

Add clanc on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    IIt's notable that they mentioned back in episode 9
    Fixed it for you

Much obliged

Follow Airdramon On Twitter Visit Airdramon's Xbox Live Profile
    Releases! Time for another weekend of content!
    Digimon Tamers Takato's Card Tin video

Episode 91 - Not A Prophecy, But An Educated Guess

May and Jay continue to try and rewrite and fix Frontier but agree that Bokomon and Neemon are perfect just the way that they are in both versions, Jay is excited for Digimon Savers and sick of prophecies, and May wants evil babies.

Linkdump

Screenshots of the Week
    May
    Image Thumbnail
    Jay
    Image Thumbnail

Weekly Wonders
    May: Shirokuma Cafe
    Jay: Beyond the Boundary

EDIT: Special 20 - Forgetti and Meatballs
    May and Jay are excited to take a break from Digimon Frontier to talk about Digimon Adventure Tri Chapter 4.
    May won’t stop talking about their love for the first part and Jay loves Agumon and his appetite.
    Linkdump

EDIT: AppliEpisode 20 - I Dream Of Musimon
    Do we like Astra? Do we not like Astra? OF COURSE WE DO!

Alright weekend of content over.
    Time to sleep forever.
    (Until I have to wake up at 6:30am to exercise and then go to work.)
    Last edited by Airdramon; 02-26-2017 at 03:22 AM.
    "I'm stylin' dude!"
    Currently raising: Nothing

Current Digivice completion: English D3 v2 (Map 4)
    Next: EU D-Power v2, EU D-Power v1, English D-tector v1, English D-Tector v3
    Currently learning and playing: Digimon Anode Tamer.

My Digimon Podcast

Tri has distracted me from commenting sooner, but I want to express how interested I am in Jay's ideas for Card Slash strategies. As a big fan of game design in general, I find the concept of strategy designing intriguing. But especially so since I assume Jay would be approaching it from a narrative perspective rather than a game design perspective, despite the inherent relation there.

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 74754555657585960 ... LastLast