With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3946474849

Thread: Digimon Tactics CCG - New Look and New Platform

Post Digimon Tactics – Article #5: Digimon Tactics, Evolve!

A Long Time Coming
    Since Digimon Tactics was first announced in November 2011 — even since the last major project update was published in July 2015 — a lot has changed with the project. Paramount of all changes have been those related to design and platform: how everything will look and how you can play Tactics! I am delighted to say that after several iterations, discussions, and searches for willing collaborators, Digimon Tactics is moving forward with what will ultimately be its final card designs (pending minor tweaks) and is being built to be playable on an accessible platform with a large ecosystem of players: Tabletop Simulator. Let’s dive in.

Evolution of Design
    When I first discovered TMS’s Digimon Tactics in 2013, there had already been a couple of designs in the works. Since becoming the game’s visual designer, I have contributed three designs and edit imagery on a start-and-stop basis. However, in late 2016, TMS and I took a full step back and decided to completely overhaul all visual elements of Tactics, from the card designs to the logo, and even the image selection process. The end result is what you see below: a brand new, modern (though Digimon-inspired) card design featuring carefully selected frames from the Digimon anime with a focus on dynamic, interesting shots.

Left to right (oldest to latest).

Though the labels mostly speak for themselves, I want to briefly highlight what’s changed. The first notable change is that these new card designs — dubbed 3.0 internally — are more vibrant than any predecessors, with bold new palettes for each Digimon subtype, and allow room for all text to breathe, ultimately reducing clutter and increasing legibility. Information has also been reorganized a bit, too, with evolution requirements being moved to the bottom of the card, the set symbol moved to the top right, and new icons created to signify HP, Cost, and Attributes (e.g. Virus, Vaccine, Data). Also, new typefaces were implemented for the headers/subheaders (Exo2) and body text (Roboto 2014).

Image not final.

New Platform, More to Come
    Perhaps the most exciting change to announce is that Digimon Tactics will be coming to Tabletop Simulator as its first platform. If you’re unfamiliar, Tabletop Simulator is a game (available through Steam, $19.99) with a massive player base of almost 100,000 and an average of 45,000+ players a week that allows for game creators to upload assets and map them to physical, in-game components — like Tactics cards to actual in-game playing cards. It’s mostly a homebrew community, but there are scores of players active at basically any time (I can personally attest) willing to play or even playtest games of all kinds.

The decision to debut on Tabletop Simulator is twofold: convenience and efficacy. The process of implementing the cards and preparing the board for gameplay is incredibly simple — as is creating automated elements of the game, such as deck shuffling, card dealing, etc. Because the Tabletop Simulator community is so massive and active — with an audience of thousands of Steam users plus With the Will users — finding a person (or crew) to play with will be a lot easier.

Finally, I’d be remiss if I didn’t address the price. The $20 price tag is somewhat hefty. Thankfully, Steam – the platform you can download this game through — has seasonal sales that knock this price to around $10. The biggest benefit is that the game, depending on what you’re playing, is low-intensity and can be played on virtually any machine. Tactics will definitely be low-intensity. If you’re a fan of board games of any kind (even X-Wing and Settlers of Catan are on there, for example) this is a no-brainer purchase; if you’re not but are a fan of Digimon and Tactics, this may also be a no-brainer! If you’re not, don’t worry: We are still looking to develop an independent platform to play Tactics on but have not had much luck with finding dedicated programmers. If you are or know a talented programmer willing to lend a hand to this fan project, please let us know!

What’s Next?
    Good question! We are officially — and this has been said before but is 100% true this time — in full card production mode. As such, we will be generating cards and prototyping our Tabletop Simulator add-on in the coming weeks. As the add-on comes together, those with Tabletop Simulator can begin to participate in playtesting sessions with me, TMS, or each other! More information on that to come. If you want to help playtest and prefer print-and-play, we have not developed a printer-friendly version of the game yet but can certainly work on that in the near future if there is interest.

Let me turn this section’s header on you: What would you like to see next? Do you have any advice, suggestions, or comments? Questions? Please let us know here in the forums and we will get back to you soon. Our readjustment phase/hiatus is over and Digimon Tactics is very much alive and, truthfully, better than it ever has been before.

New Cards!
    To avoid great image compression and the obliteration of the forums, all of our sample images have been aggregated into a private Imgur album (available to those with the link only). Click the link above or the image below!

Last edited by Frankie; 03-16-2017 at 04:01 PM.

A fan-made customizable Digimon card game.

Hmm... what's the emote for gushing wildly?

The card designs look excellent! If there's any way that I can help, be it translating, quote-finding, skill ideas, fanart of characters/icons, or even just helping to compile card assets, let me know. I'd love to work on the project!

Also...
    Is it possible to get the tactics platform without Steam?
    Bat-Guilmon's utility belt is mostly full of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ukyou View Post
    Ha! I think that is the closest we can get on these vBulletin forums.

The card designs look excellent! If there's any way that I can help, be it translating, quote-finding, skill ideas, fanart of characters/icons, or even just helping to compile card assets, let me know. I'd love to work on the project!
    Thank you! I'm glad you like them and if you have any critical feedback, please do send it our way. While I personally think these cards are the pinnacle of our iteration, there is always room for improvement — though that room is shrinking as we get closer to making this a reality. Haha.

Regarding your second point, I will leave that to TMS but I'd be thrilled to have an extra hand(s) on board. I'm certain your translation skills (Japanese to English and vice versa, I presume) will be invaluable and overall asset/art hunting would be a big help. Moreover, as we get closer, if you'd like to playtest, that would be great, too!

Unfortunately, not. Now, if you're unaware, Steam itself is free (it's really just a storage container for the games) and is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux systems, so the only cost would be Tabletop Simulator​.

Please let me know if there's anything else I/we can answer! We're back on the horse for the long haul this time and I'm personally back to using these forums more, so I'll definitely be around.
    Last edited by Frankie; 03-16-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added a note about Tabletop Simulator.

this looks really cool. Does Tabletop Simulator have a lot of games like this? I'd be worried about investing a lot of effort and then getting them getting a DMCA or something.

Also...
    Thanks to the wonders (not) of Unicode, you can use emojis everywhere. Ignore the emoticon set provided by vBulletin and use your plain-ol' emojis.

I would guess you want: 😂 (officially tears of joy, although I always thought it was schadenfreude laughter, personally)

Emojis for the win! I actually think Jay would want 😍. I agree with your assessment of 😂 — this is the most condescending emoji in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Celebi View Post
    this looks really cool. Does Tabletop Simulator have a lot of games like this? I'd be worried about investing a lot of effort and then getting them getting a DMCA or something.
    That's a good question. Tabletop Simulator swims in perilous waters, copyright-wise. Technically, Tabletop Simulator itself violates nothing but users (via Steam Workshop) do often blatantly violate game copyrights by uploading complete tabletop and card game components (scanned IRL) for play. A lot of board game developers are acutely aware of this and many have not submitted DMCA takedown requests; some view this as great exposure to their games that would otherwise never be played due to purchase and a vital try-before-you-buy opportunity. One notable exception, however, is Steve Jackson Games who did have Munchkin taken down (though a mod inevitably pops back up).

Tactics could be at major risk of being taken down... if it were a reproduction of an existing card game property. Now, of course, Digimon Tactics is utilizing Bandai-Namco's intellectual property. The only reason I make the distinction of Tactics (and the other Digimon fan-made card game you can find around With the Will) not being in any extra danger is because it does not directly infringe on an existing card game (i.e. not blatantly scanning preexisting components, etc.). This fan project is at the same level as all fan projects. Technically, yes, Bandai could come knocking and that would be a wrap for Tactics — but that is the case for all other fan-made projects, many of which, for Digimon, exist on these forums.

Bottom line: Tabletop Simulator doesn't necessarily heighten the risks that fan-made projects already face and Tactics's presence on the platform should not be cause for any extra concern. Hope this helps! However, this preexisting danger is definitely a reason why we'd want to develop an independent platform to play Tactics.
    Last edited by Frankie; 03-16-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added my brief emoji diatribe.

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3946474849